Day 1 - 8/20/2016 - And I'm a guy!

4EverLearning

Actually started Whole30 on Saturday, but ran into a registration error so here I am making my first post ... and yeah ... I'm a guy (did you say that like the guy said about Jake from State Farm?!??) ... I haven't seen too many of them within the world of Whole30 but that's ok! I weighed myself Saturday morning and took my before picture.

I've got the exercise thing down and I workout regularly. It's the food thing I am finally getting in control of. I was in the ER a few weeks ago and accepted that I have GERD, and combine that with the IBS that runs in my family (pun not intended) ... I want to learn what are my triggers are, as well as try to look a little better aesthetically ... I'll own all of that!

Day 3 - Today was a little tougher than yesterday as far as cravings. I'm also feeling a little bloated and mildly constipated all day. Nothing terrible but more annoying. I'm wondering if it has to do with my increase in protein and decrease in carbs? I know I'm not eating enough vegetables but I love my fruit. (Cherries, apricots, apples and a banana)

6 hours ago, 4EverLearning said:

Day 3 - Today was a little tougher than yesterday as far as cravings. I'm also feeling a little bloated and mildly constipated all day. Nothing terrible but more annoying. I'm wondering if it has to do with my increase in protein and decrease in carbs? I know I'm not eating enough vegetables but I love my fruit. (Cherries, apricots, apples and a banana)

Hey there & welcome :)

Yeah, don't be letting the fruit push the veg off of your plate - try to stick with 1-2 servings of fruit per day - and with meals rather than on it's own - the sugars can be hard on the digestive system if you're not getting other fibre in along with it. Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? And salting your food? 

We actually have a couple of guys have started over the last few days, and a couple of old timers  so you're not alone!!

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Hey there & welcome :)

Yeah, don't be letting the fruit push the veg off of your plate - try to stick with 1-2 servings of fruit per day - and with meals rather than on it's own - the sugars can be hard on the digestive system if you're not getting other fibre in along with it. Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? And salting your food? 

We actually have a couple of guys have started over the last few days, and a couple of old timers  so you're not alone!!

Thanks! I do need to up my veggies. I've never been a big fan of them, but dig salads, asparagus, green beans ... most everything else I struggle to eat like I'm eating wet cardboard!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, 4EverLearning said:

Thanks! I do need to up my veggies. I've never been a big fan of them, but dig salads, asparagus, green beans ... most everything else I struggle to eat like I'm eating wet cardboard!

So, how do you usually cook these vegetables that they're like eating "wet cardboard" -- because that doesn't sound good at all, but there are definitely better ways and worse ways to cook all of them.

For most of them, roasting is best -- try roasting broccoli, cauliflower, any root vegetables, brussel sprouts, even cabbage.  Here's a basic how-to for roasting vegetables.  There are also a ton of vegetable recipes here, most of them Whole30 compliant.

6 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

So, how do you usually cook these vegetables that they're like eating "wet cardboard" -- because that doesn't sound good at all, but there are definitely better ways and worse ways to cook all of them.

For most of them, roasting is best -- try roasting broccoli, cauliflower, any root vegetables, brussel sprouts, even cabbage.  Here's a basic how-to for roasting vegetables.  There are also a ton of vegetable recipes here, most of them Whole30 compliant.

Honestly, I don't! I love corn on the cob though! ;-) I'll eat mixed vegetables at restaurants when they're cooked in that buttery goodness but I know I must say not to that most of the time at least, ... and thank you for the link. Before you wrote that part I was saying to myself, "I don't even know what she means by roasting." I did buy a new grill/smoker so I have that going for me!

Day 4 - I'm traveling with a few overnights for work, so this will bring me to my first trial of eating healthy away from home. I think there is another man living in my head. He keeps telling me that I should be good to quit in a few days, and shoot, even if I quit now I've still learned a few food-relates things about me already. It hasn't been too difficult to quiet him down though. It just makes me a little sad, like I'm missing out on the good things in life ... like the free beer/wine at my hotel tonight!

For dinner it was awesome that a Whole Foods was about a 1/2 mile from my hotel. Made myself a nice salad topped with hot Latin fish and hot Latin chicken. I also got a large water and some fresh fruit.

Overall, not bad. I'll be ready to hit the "I did it" link in my email in a few hours.

20 hours ago, jmcbn said:

You do know it's a grain though, right? And not a veg?

Oh,and NO buttery goodness during your 30 days, right?

Just checking!! ;)

Thanks for checking, and yes, I know ... no corn on the cob, buttered corn, corn fritters, corn nuggets, or even corn on a stick at the state fair!  ;-)

Day 5 - Went to the gym this morning. I guess that's going ok. I feel less energy because I'm not taking my usual pre workout drink, Prejym. I've been drinking black coffee and eating some nuts beforehand. Ate eggs, a banana, watermelon and pineapple. Throughout the day my mind is getting better at playing tricks with me. Not telling me to quit now, but telling me to quit this weekend. I will have learned more and I'm actually in the habit of eating healthier ... No need to do all 30 days, right?! Ugh ... I miss some foods and a beer/wine to finish the day when I'm working and overnighting away from home. In the evening, I went to a place called and got a grilled shrimp and strawberry salad with balsamic vingarette, hold the cheese and add tomatoes ... it was really good! I'm glad I've stuck through today

Day 6 - I began my day with only black coffee before going to the gym. I didn't get the urge to eat anything solid though my stomach was empty. I'm used to working out in a fasted state. I've generally been healthy from morning to noon. It's after that where the urges hit me. I had a grilled chicken salad with no dressing for lunch. First time ever that I didn't want to gag from eating dry lettuce. I also forced myself to eat raw carrots and a radish ... I think it was a radish! I washed that goodness down with an unsweet tea too. When dinner came around I had my grilled chicken in the fridge from last weekend, and I needed something to go with it. I found a can of spinach in the pantry and made Creamy Spinach that is on page 387 of the Whole30 book. Wow, I actually cooked a side dish! And in the process I learned what clarified butter was! Dudes, all you need are butter and cheesecloth ... this might be a game changer. The creamy spinach was REALLY good. I forgot I used to like it as a kid. 

The desire I have today is to not quit this, but questioning why I have to stop the healthy carbs. My body has never had a known problem with them in the past, gluten and all. But ... I choose to trust the process, and stay on plan. Below is a photo of my dinner including the creamy spinach with a so-so presentation ... but I'm a guy ... whatever!

image.jpeg

• Moderators

You never have to eat dry lettuce. In fact, that lunch really sounds like it needed some fat. You can make or buy salad dressing, use mayo or guacamole on the salad, or in a pinch if you need something non-perishable you can leave at work, just drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. We want you to eat fat at every meal. Really. It's good for you, it'll keep your brain healthy, add fat.

"The desire I have today is to not quit this, but questioning why I have to stop the healthy carbs. My body has never had a known problem with them in the past, gluten and all. But ... I choose to trust the process, and stay on plan."

Totally get that! I'm about 90% sure I don't have a problem with grains and legumes, and at one point while I was researching the Whole30 I thought, "Well, maybe I could just do what they're saying, plus whole grains and legumes." But then I saw how my head started finding other little "What if's" like making exceptions to the no Paleo breads, muffins, etc., and I realized I needed to just commit. And I am a little suspicious of dairy, so it'll be nice to finally get clear on exactly what my body likes AND be done with compulsive carb eating!

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, terraleigh said:

"The desire I have today is to not quit this, but questioning why I have to stop the healthy carbs. My body has never had a known problem with them in the past, gluten and all. But ... I choose to trust the process, and stay on plan."

Totally get that! I'm about 90% sure I don't have a problem with grains and legumes, and at one point while I was researching the Whole30 I thought, "Well, maybe I could just do what they're saying, plus whole grains and legumes." But then I saw how my head started finding other little "What if's" like making exceptions to the no Paleo breads, muffins, etc., and I realized I needed to just commit. And I am a little suspicious of dairy, so it'll be nice to finally get clear on exactly what my body likes AND be done with compulsive carb eating!

Good luck!

Exactly! TMI (but so what!) I've started to suspect IBS more and more. I can tolerate dairy but there's a line someplace where it's too much for my body. This will be a nice reset to try and figure out where is the line of too much. And the sugars ... yeah, I dig sour chewy sweetarts too much as well as chocolate. And then there's gum and mints ... I miss a stick of gum to stifle my coffee breath!

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

You never have to eat dry lettuce. In fact, that lunch really sounds like it needed some fat. You can make or buy salad dressing, use mayo or guacamole on the salad, or in a pinch if you need something non-perishable you can leave at work, just drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. We want you to eat fat at every meal. Really. It's good for you, it'll keep your brain healthy, add fat.

Absolutely, it's just that I was in the road traveling and had to buy a salad. I didn't take any with me nor was a grocery store nearby. Think highway 35, between Wichita and Oklajoma City! And great idea about the guacamole. I'm actually learning to like the stuff! I'll remember the fat, but I did good with that, making my creamy spinach tonight!

Day 7 - So today will complete one week for me, how about that! I meet with a group of guys every Friday AM and made a meal of 3 eggs overeasy and a bowl of fruit, plus my black coffee.

For lunch I finished my grilled chicken (I also learned to smoke meat on the grill - not terribly difficult! ;-) and ate more if my creamy spinach. Dang that stuff is good!

I snacked a few times throughout the day with almonds and Granny Smith apples ... sure would like a hot cookie with ice cream on top, but you know what ... I'm not craving it as much as a few days ago. I'm able to get the urge and thought out of my mind easier. That's a good sign.

Dinner included a wonderful dish of  Mahi and shrimp in some kind of wonderful sauce without the couscous. I finished day seven. How about that?!?! I'm focused now on day eight ... doesn't matter how far away the last day is.

Ransom thoughts as I begin Day 8 ... I woke up during the night, and my IBS acted up just a little upon waking up. I'm thinking my job stress (had it running though my mind during the night) and also the spices I had for dinner. I would it be ironic if I learn that certain spices and a more than a little dairy are the sources of my food problems (be careful son not to use this as an excuse to end before 30 days) ... I think I've woken up with worse breath than usual this last week. Maybe need to step up brushing my teeth more often and use mouthwash a few times a day ... I'm going to do some cardio and yoga in a few. That should solve everything! ;-)

One learning ... I'm naturally looking at the ingredients of items at restaurants regularly, and "disgusted" when I see they put sugar (unnecessarily in my opinion) in the product - most recently salsa. Of course I have my whole30 reasons now ... will this carryover from day 31 on?!?!

Archived