Trick or Treat?

Laura B

What is everyone giving out for Halloween? I read somewhere that a paleo mom gave out pencils and other party favor type things instead of candy. What are y'all planning on passing out for Halloween? Can you brave the candy in the house?? :blink:

Well given the huge number of trick or treaters we have calling every year, there is no way I could keep handing out pencils, comics etc-I'd be bankrupt! It'll be candy ahoy I'm afraid. But then I'm not trying to convert my neighbourhood to Paleo. Happy to keep trucking along doing the best I can for myself and my family. My neighbours can decide for themselves!

I was thinking about giving out those glow in the dark bracelets. I've seen packs of them in the dollar bin at Michael's and Target so it should be fairly reasonable cost wise. Just please don't go and buy them all at my store before I can get there :) lol.

I'm sure we will give out some candy too...just my husband will be in charge of buying it. Right now, I cannot resist the temptation to have it in my house.

We get like...nobody...I think Lara bar minis are a good option. Target sells boxes of 'em cheaper than Whole Foods, but it's probably a) not scaleable for more visited areas and B) puts you at risk for getting egged later in the evening.

(My car gets egged on a regular basis. Already egged twice this year, and that was before October!)

These are all awesome suggestions! I still haven't decided what I will pass out (if I am even home). I like what SummerGirl said about not trying to convert her neighbors. I wouldn't try giving out fruit because they always taught us to throw it out.

I don't know if anyone has heard of Unreal Candy but this would be a good option to give out if you don't want to impose your nutritional beliefs but still want to give them a better option than all the regular junk candy!

They have better for you versions of peanut M&Ms, regular M&Ms, Snickers, Reeces Cups, and Milky Way. Sold at CVS and some other stores, soon to be available at Target!

http://getunreal.com/unreal-8

Target and Walmart have really inexpensive party favor type items in their Halloween section -- plastic vampire fangs, pencils, erasers, fake tattoos, spider rings, etc. All of those are great. Orientatal Trading sells a ton of really inexpensive things along the same lines.

• 2 weeks later...

One year I gave out the little mini boxes of raisens.

DH refuses to give those out again bc he's afraid the older kids will egg our house.

I will, however, not be keeping my kids candy in the house. We've already talked about it. Our dentist pays a $1 per pound after halloween so we will keep a few peices for them, but thats it.

J

I send my kids out early and then give away the candy they get. Not so nice, but two of my kids have severe reactions to food dyes (blue and red in particular) so they know they can't eat those anyway. We keep a small bag to give away. I will be sending our leftovers with my husband to work. Four kids bring home a ton of candy. In the past, we have had enough to keep our candy bowl full until Valentine's Day.

I give out both candy and either glow bracelets or toys. This year I have glow in the dark bouncy balls that look like eyeballs and some spiders.

I did tell my kids that as the three of them go to the houses on Halloween, they don't each have to line up for candy to have fun, I suggested they take turns getting candy after the first several houses. And we will use some of their candy for birthday goody bags since both of my boys have November birthdays. I think our elf might make some disappear in the middle of night to use for Christmas stockings too...

As tempted as I am to be more healthy with Halloween, it's once a year and my friend's kids summed it up pretty well when she told them she wanted to pass out "healthier stuff" this year. Her son's reply "No! Please don't make us THAT house..." I honestly think the kid made a good point. My kids want candy and have fun collecting that big bag even if they don't end up getting to eat it all. It's honestly up to the parents to decide what to do with it all that candy after they get home...

I offered Switch Witch this year to my 3 kids, ages 8, 6, and 4. Regular trick-or-treating around the neighborhood, collected all the junk. Came home and they were allowed to eat 1 piece and then had to choose Switch Witch or candy.

With Switch Witch, they could save 7 pieces to eat over the next week but had to place all the rest in their buckets and Switch Witch would come collect the candy, leave them a small gift, and donate the candy to our troops overseas. They all chose Switch Witch and will be receiving small gift cards to Toys R Us to pick out something for themselves.

Thank you Operation Gratitude for helping me dispose of the candy in a guilt-free manner!

http://www.halloweencandybuyback.com

I took out the really crappy candy out of their bags & re-circulated it, unfortuantely we had very few callers so have lots of our own left over...I packed away the non-candy (glowsticks, tattoes, erasers) to use next year. But still have lots of candy in the house.

Will send lots in to dh's workplace tomorrow.

I ended up buying 2 bags of candy I have never had. I don't think I would have been tempted either way, but this helped keep the boyfriend and roommate at bay. We were busy cleaning up the house for boyfriend's parent's impending visit this weekend, and by the time we finished up dinner I was spent. It was like 8pm, anyway so we didn't bother turning the light on. I'm gonna return the candy today...

Never heard of Switch Witch. Sounds like a great idea.

Funny thing happened last night. I had toys to pass out to the trick-or-treaters and my youngest wanted one of them for himself. I told him he had to trade some of his candy for it. He took a handful of candy and exchanged it for one glow-in-the-dark bat. ;)

We have a lot left too. Some will go for their birthday party goody bags and I will make some disappear a few pieces at a time each night after they go to bed. If they question it I will tell them I think "maybe Jack (our Christmas elf) knew we had too much candy just for us and he took some back to the North Pole to save for Santa to use in everyone's Christmas Stockings." We always combine their candy into one big bowl they share so the kids will probably never know if I throw some of it away...

Archived