Trick or Treat?

Laura B

I bought some toys I knew they would want and let them trade their candy for the toy of their choice (the others go in the gift drawer for future needs like birthday parties). They each had a couple of pieces last night and chose 5 to keep. My son had no hesitation about it. My daughter agonized over her 5 picks - but she also agonized over which of the toys to choose. Both were so excited about their new toys this morning, and no one said anything about the candy. And we gave out the candy they traded in so it's out of the house now, too.

I am SO GLAD that my own journey towards better health finally pushed me to do this with the kids. There's just way too much candy these days.

There's just way too much candy these days.

It was not until I started saying no to candy (for both myself and the kids) that I appreciated how much of it we were actually eating, most of it mindlessly, and forgotten the instant it was consumed. Trying to cut candy (never mind sugar!) out of your life should not be this hard, both from a self-management standpoint and from an environmental one, but it really is when those habits have been ingrained for so long.

I intentionally bought a bag of stuff I don't like and had no chance of being tempted by. Since we only get a few trick-or-treaters (16 this year!!) I'm a favorite stop because I let the kids take big handfuls. If I had kids of my own to whom I was teaching candy is bad then I would give out toys...but to me it's up to the parents, and it's one night of the year. But for future lil ones of my own, I will definitely keep Switch Witch in mind, or maybe Candy Fairy....

Archived