I don't usually eat breakfast and now don't know what to cook

shawphi

I'm usually rushing out the door in the morning because i have 2 kids i've got to get ready and then myself ready and off to work. So if i do eat breakfast it's usually something quick like cereal or nothing at all. I have friends who are telling me that breakfast porridge would be SWYPO or a compliant breakfast muesli recipe I found might also be SWYPO because it's the spirit of "cereal". I'm not wanting to commit to cook every single morning because I know that just isn't gonna happen no matter how early i got up or how much prep i did the night before. So I'm hoping to find a nice porridge i can make int he crock pot that i can add some side veggies and fruit on top of to have a quick breakfast that i know i can sustain past the 30 days. Is this possible? would I ruin my whole whole30 if I tried to do this possible "SWYPO"?

Don't make a porridge. Of any kind. It's totally a SWYPO. For the first meal of the day, eat left overs, or a breakfast frittata or Mel Joulwan's salmon cakes. I've even made compliant breakfast casserole in the crockpot and it's delicious. (it's literally a dump and cook!) It needs to follow the template which porridge won't. 

I almost never eat eggs, but I had a hard time wrapping my mind around traditional breakfasts and whole 30 (I don't eat cereal even when not on w30 bc my pancreas doesn't like it) but somehow the idea of left over burgers and guac and a ton of veggies worked. Go figure! 

If I were you I would eat leftovers or you could make a batch of breakfast bowls and pop in microwave in the AM. I know I have seen recipes for freezing these (although they probably contain non-complaint ingredients but the method of freezing & reheating should carry over). I eat a breakfast bowl every morning. 1 chicken sausage, 2 scrambled eggs, and 2-3 cups of carrots, zucchini, potatoes, peppers, onions, & whatever else I want (green beans, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, etc). Top with avocado or guac. 

Dinner leftovers! A frittata in slices or muffins! Tuna with mayo and leftover veggies! Compliant hotdogs and fresh sauerkraut and the fat of your choice! 

These and a million other combinations are all grab-and-go and I grabbed them and went during my Whole30. 

Don't limit yourself! Meal 1 (stop thinking of it as "breakfast" is so important and you deserve better nutrition than porridge. 

Take five minutes to put a template meal into a plastic container. It's not that hard. :)

Egg "muffins" are great for on the go.  (They are essentially mini fritatas) Make them ahead when you have a moment - you can make buffalo chicken flavoured, pizza flavoured or put whatever you want - personal fav - sauteed onion, mushrooms, spinach, and cooked compliant sausage, with sweet potato cubes.  Aim for 1 egg = 1 muffin.  Then if you can make a blended veggie soup to sip on your way in to work in the morning (not ideal - but it works) 

I like making a stew or soup in the crockpot on the weekends, then having it to heat up for breakfasts during the week. I can scoop it into pyrex bowls and have it ready to pull out and pop in the microwave. Then if I want, I can add avocado, guac, or fried eggs on top. (Or even hard boiled eggs would be good -- and those are easy to make ahead!)

Pre whole30 was the last time I made it but I do shredded potatoes, about 12-18 eggs, and any veggies I feel like and any additional protein or fat like sausage or bacon or coconut cream. Salt. Pepper. dried mustard. Let it cook about 8 hours and you're done. It's easy and delicious. 

12-18 eggs, cooked for 8 hours?!  how does that work?  are they still in the shells?  do they end up like poached?  not sure I understand cooking eggs in a slow cooker...  eggs are the epitome of fast food - scrambled they take less than 30 seconds!  omlette in under a minute.

Haha it's a scrambled egg in a slow cooker. I should've clarified that. Slow cooker casseroles are my friend because i hate having to wait 45 mins to an hour the morning I want to eat it. And I don't have the willpower not to dig in the night before. 

14 hours ago, LKBG said:

Would you please share the recipe?

I know you weren't asking me ( :) ) but I wanted to share my breakfast recipe too! @shawphi  I'm always a mess in the mornings and usually wake about 20-30 min before I leave the house. I will make this on the weekend and cut into 5-6 servings and put in a container in the fridge. Ready to grab and go!

SP Breakfast Casserole

12 eggs

1 large sweet potato

4 compliant sausages or ½ lb ground meat, turkey or beef

1/2 cup spinach

Salt and pepper, to taste

Compliant topping like chopped cashews, or nutritional yeast.

Coconut oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat a 9 x 9 baking dish with coconut oil.

2. Cook ground meat in a skillet with coconut oil until browned.

3. Cut the sweet potato into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Layer the slices on the baking dish.

4. Top the sweet potatoes with the ground meat, and raw spinach.

5. Whisk 12 eggs well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour to cover the mixture completely.

6. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until sweet potatoes have softened and eggs are cooked through.

7. Add cashews or nutritional yeast at the end until they are slightly golden.

Archived