September 1st Start Date for First Whole30 Challenge

ashleeeyyy88

I'm Ashley, a 26 year old female from Toronto, Canada. I am so excited to finally be committing to my first Whole30 challenge for the month of September beginning on the first. I am hoping to normalize my digestive system and have a better handle on my health and nutrition in general. Looking forward to supporting and being supported in these forums!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im starting sept 1 also! Was meant to be starting a few days ago, but had a few unexpected events happen! Im 28 and live in Thailand! I'm also so excited to see changes and get a grip on my health! All the best on your journey! Not long to go!

Hello I am Robin 48 from Illinois, I am also starting Whole30 September 1. I have chronic fatigue, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, heartburn, IBS and  sinus headaches.  In short, I am a mess but staying positive! Whole30 was recommended by a friend who has had fantastic results. I don't like the idea of being on medication. I am hoping this will help me get back a better quality of life without prescription drugs.  I look forward to sharing this journey to healthful eating.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

I'm going to start my second Whole 30 tomorrow as well!

During my 1st, I slept better, felt better although I didn't lose weight (I ate too much fat via nuts and seeds looking back!).  I also had a co-worker doing it with me to keep me honest...  She's since retired, so I'll lean y'all!!:)

My husband and I started this morning and I'm ready to rock this program! We live in Denver and let's just say we are over 65 :)! But, you know, it is never to late to feel good  - or better.

We've been eating sort of Paleo for several years now, so I'm hoping this won't be too much of a shock. However, Ron will miss his beer and I'll probably miss my wine. All for a good cause!

Best to you all...

T:)

Hi Teddie, how do you feel?  I started just a few days ago and am doing well but my DH is not doing it with me and drinks his beer.  Hummmmmm it's hard.  I miss my wine too but last night fixed a glass of ice water with a cap full of apple cider vinegar.  It actually helped.  And I made it in a wine glass.   

What are you eating?  I'm trying to plan my meals at least a day in advance.  I did eat too many nuts last night :(

I just started yesterday too and boy did my coworkers really test me! We went kayaking together and everyone decided to go to Ruby's for lunch - I just opted out since I still had more cooking to do and just spent tons of $$ on groceries. Then, last night, we went to the Hollywood Bowl (we were given box seat tickets! so I had to go). My coworkers packed various dips, chips, sandwiches, wine, AND MORE. I was expecting this so I made 3 small plates with my own homemade dishes - 1) Kitchen Sink Scramble with sweet potatoes, apple chicken sausage and various veggies 2) Chicken salad with homemade mayo (first time making it... successfully), fruit, carrots and celery 3) roasted rosemary and garlic potatoes and brussel sprout -- I even shared it with them and they really liked the food! 

Stayed on track for Day 1 even with all the temptations! Now I feel more motivated than ever!!

[posted pic below of some of my meals so far - I chose really easy ones to start with]

Day1,2 Meals.jpg

Britty, you are awesome! With your determination you will do very well :)

so many would be tempted to say, "Aw, nuts!" And just start today with day 1. Congratulations!

I roasted sweet potatoes and a chicken for dinner last night. Also had some fantastic Colorado Peaches....yum.

Lunch was what we always eat, a big salad with turkey lunch meat, with a change from our honey maple to an organic I found at Costco. I have to say I miss my sugar :(

instead of wine I had Perrier with lime, something I really enjoy.

also had a weird dream about being in a college cafeteria and stressing out over what I could eat. Finally found the salad bar and all the lettuce was gone. When they replenished it I filled my plate, but the lettuce evaporated! Too funny....

have a great day 2!!

Hello September Whole30 group!  My husband and I started the Whole30 program yesterday.  Although we are healthy and active, we have both gained about 15 pounds over the last few years and want to stop the cycle of bad habits.  Managing a family with five busy kids and working full-time can be a bit overwhelming at times.  I feel like we are prepared for this month. I read the book (he read my notes from the book), gathered recipes, and we spent a ton of money at Costco stocking up on meat and veggies.  I can already feel the difference from not having sugar and my husband is really struggling with this one as I think he relies on that instant energy boost quite a bit.  I told him the first few days would be the hardest and then the cravings should slow down.  He is a firefighter which can require a lot of physical stamina depending on the day.  He just sent me a text that he was on a fire and feeling weak!  I don't think he ate a big enough breakfast.  Two eggs and some grapes are probably not enough him.  I told him to eat as much as he wants of the "compliant" foods this first week and that he shouldn't feel hungry.  

Anybody in the "hangover" stage? I was feeling fine most of today but starting to feel a bit hangover-y now (4PM)... mostly just tired with a dull headache.

Yesterday I felt like I had lots of energy, even after dinner which is really unusual for me.

Runfunky, sounds like your husband is very active and needs more food - and probably some starchy veg. (I'm just guessing from what I read in the book)

I'm doing this alone - it was slightly tough last night when my hubs got to put cheese on his dinner and I didn't, but not too bad.

I'd love to know how others who are doing this alone are doing it - hubs and I are having separate breakfasts and lunches but the same dinner entree (he'll add rice or cheese or whatever to his if he wants).

It's so great to read how well everyone is doing! Let's keep at it and keep sharing!

Hi, everyone,

Looks like a great group! 

Yes, I am in the hangover/headache stage. I just had a massage, though, and that really helped :) .

Lesser, I got a chuckle out of your water and apple cider vinegar. I'm glad it helped! I am drinking Perrier with a slice of lime and find that a refreshing treat. 

I've made the Sunshine Sauce and the Sesame Sauce (with tahini)and I think I'll use one of those with our cooked broccoli and cauliflower tonight, along with turkey burgers.

Oh, and I was craving something sweet yesterday and came across a recipe for toasted coconut flakes (1 Cup) which you toast and then mix with 1/4 tsp of salt and a pinch of cinnamon. Yum!!! It helped.

Have a good night, everyone.

Teddie, thanks for the toasted coconut tip! That is also good with a sliced banana and almond butter for breakfast. It was very filling. In fact, yesterday I was so full from breakfast and lunch I had to force myself to eat something for dinner so that I didn't wake up starving! That really surprised me. 

Update on my firefighter hubs...he said a few other guys were feeling weak during the fire too because it came in right before lunch and took several hours. He was further tested because they missed the grocery store and had to eat out for lunch with limited options in the area. He said that he got chicken from qdoba with peppers, onions and lettuce. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the chicken was technically non-compliant because of soybean oil! I'm sure it was incredibly difficult to be starving and watching your crew pile on the queso while piling on the lettuce instead. I'm so proud of him! He's at the firehouse again today (overtime shift) but I'm planning to take him some lunch and more snacks!

I'm hoping for some energy today...need to get in five miles of running!

Hi everyone!   My sister, mother and myself started on September 1 as well.  We all live in separate cities, however, I am with my mom for the first 10 days.  We are all doing whole30 seperate from our families which will make it hard but not impossible.

For myself, I was injured 5 years ago during a freak accident and am still trying to heal from the injury.   That has brought a lot of medication which has messed with my system.  We lost our father/husband last June which has also led to a lot of emotional eating/drinking for all of us.

I am glad to have found a group that will be "along for the ride"!

I live in Dallas, mom is in Denver and sister is near Seattle.

Hi, Runfunky!  I wanted to chime in on your firefighter (and you too).  Make sure you are getting enough FAT.  Both the examples you gave of meals that your husband ate were very low fat, and that will lead to fatigue and feelings of hunger very quickly.  Some easy fixes: add lots of quacamole or avocado;  put olives on anything that it will go with; add homemade mayonnaise on top of everything (I like to mix mine with lemon or lime juice to make a sauce) or sprinkle the dish with nuts (or use nut butters in a sauce).  I think we are so brainwashed into "low fat" diets, that it can be hard to remember to incorporate good fats in enough quantity.  Best to you!

Hi! I live in Namibia and also started on Sept . Its been fine so far, I just had some major nausea today. It went away when I ate a small baked potato with olive oil. I have been looking for sugar free bacon for days now, i think ill stop by a butcher later this week to see if they can just slice some for me. I am hoping to take care of Chronic reflux and to lose some weight this month. Let"s do this!

Hi, everybody,

Welcome, Lovegood, Sag, and all the rest of you. We are in Day 3, or as my husband likes to think 1/10th of the way through at the end of the day :) . Runfunky, the combination of banana, coconut and almond butter sounds wonderful! Thanks for the tip.

I made poached eggs for breakfast and they turned out really well following WHOLE30 directions. We ate them on spinach with avocado and some chicken sausage that fit the program. It was yummy. Leftover roast chicken and sweet potatoes for dinner.

I'm achy and starting to feel a bit snappish....anybody else have these symptoms? 

Finally, I hate to admit it but I'm going to have to look up Namibia on Google Earth. I love how this program draws people from all over the world!

Take care,

Day 3 has been really rough for me. Very achy, super bloated and nauseated. I had a chicken and vegetable stir fry for dinner and started having cramps and stomach pains halfway through. Just laying down now with some peppermint herbal tea and a book trying to settle my stomach. How is everybody else doing?

Thanks for the tips for my firefighter! I took him more snacks today and a grilled chicken breast for dinner. Saturday is chili day at just about every firehouse in the country and although we read the labels of the ingredients used, he would have needed to pick out the beans and the meat probably wasn't ideal so he skipped it. I hate how his crew was teasing him! (Side note...firehouses are a lot like frat houses sans the alcohol). I'm very proud of him but looking forward to him coming home tomorrow. I cooked a delish pork roast in apple cider vinegar today and swapped my run for laps at the pool instead. Going to start running again tomorrow. I researched all natural, sugar free hydration and energy alternatives today for runs longer than 5 miles. Thank goodness the heat is subsiding here in KY so that will help. Garerade is very much out of the mix!!

PS - I too had to Google Namibia! 

Have a great evening everyone!

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, RobinZ said:

Hello I am Robin 48 from Illinois, I am also starting Whole30 September 1. I have chronic fatigue, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, heartburn, IBS and  sinus headaches.  In short, I am a mess but staying positive! Whole30 was recommended by a friend who has had fantastic results. I don't like the idea of being on medication. I am hoping this will help me get back a better quality of life without prescription drugs.  I look forward to sharing this journey to healthful eating.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

So far so good. I feel and see some changes already. I am not as stiff in the mornings. Joint and muscle swelling is down. I can't wait to see how I feel at the end of the 30!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Archived