Starting on Tuesday 9/6

Karabeaner

HI!  I am so excited to start this program on tuesday.  I consider myself relatively healthy but I do have a chronic kidney disease that I have kept under control since diagnosis in 2005.  I also have anemia.  I am hoping that this program will help my health issues and lead to a healthier and happier lifestyle!

Hi Karabeaner (clever name!). Unlike you, I'm not a relatively healthy person - I've always struggled with my weight.  I'm not an "I've tried every diet" kind of person.  I lost 60 lbs through diet and exercise 10 years ago, but life, marriage, a toddler, a full time high stress job, 3 hours commuting every day AND owning a bar /  restaurant my husband runs has taken its toll.  So I'm obese and suffer from anxiety.  Like you, I'm starting my first #Whole30 on Tuesday too - and I'm SO excited!  I read It Starts With Food a couple of months ago and learning the science behind how how my food and drink choices impact my mental and physical (beyond the scale) health was fascinating.  I'm equal parts excited and terrified.  Tonight I finish menu planning, tomorrow I shop (already got some ingredients online), Sunday and Monday I prep prep prep.  I wish you the best of luck in your journey!

I am also starting my first Whole30 on Tuesday, 9/6.  Using the long weekend to prepare: I went to Trader Joe's today for some specific items and will go to Whole Foods tomorrow.  I've printed recipes and have a "game plan" for this first week.  Recently purchased and read The Whole30 book.  Nutrition and healthy eating is like a hobby to me... I own at least 18 different diet/nutrition/healthy eating plan books.  My desire is to feel better!  I'll turn 50 years old in November, and I'm determined to get healthier and to a point of feeling better before the big 5-0.  I love food in general - healthy, junk, etc... I'm nervous about the next 30 days - but committed to completing.  My husband (not a healthy eater) is going to make changes to his diet along side me.  Thankful for his support.  Excited to have this forum for information and support!

I am starting on Tuesday too. I am excited to start. I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and am really feeling unhealthy and bloated. I use to work out 5 days a week 4 years ago and have fallen way off. I am looking forward to feeling better and just being healthier with more energy. I have a 14yo daughter who is also going commit to the whole30 with me. I wish us all the best on this journey. We got this.

I'm a Sept 6th starter, too. I'm excited, and also a little on the nervous side, for some reason. I didn't get myself prepared this weekend like I'd planned, so feel like I'm going into Day 1 winging it. However, I at least have a plan for tomorrow's meals, and will get ready for the rest of the week tomorrow evening.

I had to get up much earlier than usual today and didn't have anything especially impressive planned for breakfast. So I threw together some scrambled eggs (made with ghee, which I luckily already had on hand as I do a lot of Indian cooking), doused in compliant hot sauce, and threw some baby carrots on the plate to at least get SOME vegetables in. I'm irritated that I'm feeling hungry already. This makes no sense to me, as scrambled eggs are a pretty usual breakfast for me and I'm not normally feeling snackish this early on. Probably because I got up so early. Oh well, I'm going to drink a bunch of water and see if that helps.

Looking forward to lunch as my work location today has a pretty amazing salad bar so I already know I'll be able to build a huge, compliant and satisfying plate of food for myself. 

Happy Day 1, everyone!

Hi all!  We've got this!!! I went shopping yesterday as well and I still felt unprepared today....for example...had NO idea it takes an hour to roast a squash!1 (So now my husband and I are starving while we wait for it to cook!)  In any case....felt good most of the day but I also over ate and drank last night in order to "get it all out of my system" so I was mentally ready.  

Let's jump these hurdles together!  It will get easier before it gets harder!  

You all ROCK!!

Today is day 2 and I am super tired. My plan for the morning was thrown off by my daughter missing her school bus. I didn't eat until 12:30. Might as well say I skipped breakfast. I have a very busy schedule if something doesn't go according to plan the rest of my schedule is thrown off. Right now I planned to be at home preparing dinner because my daughter has her first game today. This 1st week is definitely a struggle. My plan is to do a lot of cooking this weekend so my hectic schedule doesn't set us up for failure. 

I had a headache this afternoon and was incredibly lethargic (napped on the couch for about 20 mins).  Otherwise I'm doing well.  

One thing I do need to figure out is my afternoon/evening.  Some days I get up at 5:05am and don't get home from work until 5:15pm.  I've been incorporating eating breakfast early since my first Whole30, but early is like 5:50-6am... so then I'm hungry for lunch by 11-11:30 at the latest.  Since I don't get home until 5:15, I have to have something around 3:30 (because I leave to commute home at 4-4:15) to sustain me.  I have a very busy commute, so I don't really want to eat in the car.

Any thoughts about this?  Today I had an apple with a small amount of cashew butter.  I typically bring guac and carrots/peppers with me to have for lunch, but would it be better to have those as a snack?

Day 2 almost in the books y'all!  I purchased some raw cashews this past weekend as I shopped and they sure did come in handy tonight as I prepared the meatballs and compliant marinara sauce.  The cashews were delicious!  I will try not to snack on them a lot, but so happy that they are compliant.  Breakfast is working well... I made a large pan of egg casserole (eggs, spinach, and chopped Aidell's chicken/apple sausage).  I'm able to slice a piece and heat up each morning.  I'm happy that I do not have to think about what to eat in the mornings.  When I run out (or get tired of it), I plan to make a bowl of sliced bananas and cashews for breakfast.  That is sounding good with my black coffee.  I cooked a couple dinners on Labor Day when I had the time, so we've been eating on that food.  Tomorrow will be the first night I really have to cook dinner.  I think planning, shopping and cooking a little ahead is really helping me.  Tomorrow's lunch is left over meatballs in marinara on spinach and watermelon.   Hopefully each weekend will be as productive as this past one was for food/meal planning.  It's only 30 days, right?!?  

I love reading what everyone else is eating and doing.  Oh yeah, I did eat an Rx blueberry bar today during a faculty meeting after school.  I was going from the meeting to meet a friend for coffee, so the bar helped me get to dinner.  Decaf Americano (black)  #nonscalevictory  (not sure if that's even a real hashtag or if I used it correctly)  LOL

have a great Day 3 everyone!

Hi everyone!  I am feeling sluggish and tired today!  And cranky!!!

Mid day snack ideas:  Kale chips, baked green beans with chili power, grapes....

I also find that seltzer fills me up. : ) 

A quote that I heard today:  "Suck it up now so that you don't have to suck it in later!"

Congratulations to you all!!! I chuckled to myself when I read some of the posts here because when I started my whole30 on August 29th, I also called it a journey.  I'm type 2 diabetic, and am overweight.  But since I've started doing this program I'm more positive then ever that this will be a life change for me.  I think it's awesome how you've all come together.  Breakfasts where my most difficult after eating hard boiled eggs most of my first week, but I found an awesome recipe that I "Googled"  It is compliant with whole30 and it's a breakfast salad, I made a few of my own substitutions like using Aidell's Chicken Apple sausage which is delish, and instead of cilantro (because I don't care for it) I used basil.  So that may be a helpful hint for you!  Also, made my own ghee which was an experience in itself :-).  But in short I want to wish you all GREAT success on your Journey, and eat healthy (smiles).

End of Day 3... slight headache and feeling tired.  Praying that the headache does not get significant - history of migraines.

I'm loving all the words of wisdom and encouragement.  Great to know others are in exact same place as me.  Keep those ideas coming :)

My turkey and potato chili (googled recipe) was delicious tonight.  We are almost empty nesters so I have more time to cook after school - just not many people around to eat it - ha ha!

Happy Friday!  Happy Day 4!!  So far so good for me.  I also bought raw cashews (I always have those on hand) and for the first time I had the blueberry RX bar.  Definitely buying more of those....and other flavors too. For supper, I have been making myself a big salad with all sorts of veggies.  I throw in some compliant salsa from Trader Joe's for a dressing and I always add olive oil.  I put in a couple of hard boiled eggs or open a can of tuna or salmon.  When I feel like something with bad carbs or sugar, I make myself a couple of sweet potatoes!  I am so glad we are all in this together, because when I think of eating something non-compliant, I think of this group!

On 9/8/2016 at 2:30 AM, MEHolliday said:

I plan to make a bowl of sliced bananas and cashews for breakfast.  That is sounding good with my black coffee. 

Sorry, but this isn't sounding good to me.

Have you seen the recommended meal template? Where is your protein? Where are your veggies? Yes, it's compliant, but it's carb/sugar heavy (cashews are the carbiest of all nuts) and it's setting you up for hunger, cravings, and spike & dips in energy, and isn't the best way to start your day.....

1 hour ago, Sweetbrook said:

When I feel like something with bad carbs or sugar, I make myself a couple of sweet potatoes!

The absolute best way to fight a sugar craving is with fat. Fact. A spoonful of coconut or macnut oil, a handful of olives.....

Please note that the RX bars are for emergency use only - I guess you had an emergency that day though, right? 'Cos those won't be helping with those cravings either.... ;)

MEHolliday, water water water!  I had headaches too, it's your body trying to get used to NO sugar,  I'm thinking mine was from lack of coffee, I cut that out all together because I can't drink it black.  But, I did find Decafinated Tea Twinings Chai I can drink no sugar.  But getting back to the headaches, I found drinking water helped, just a suggestion :D

Hope everyone is doing well!  Surprisingly (I mean really surprisingly) I haven't gotten a headache but I have gotten a little rash on my arm and stomach.  I got the daily emails and they say it happens so I guess it's working!  Feeling good, less bloated, not terribly hungry but doing 3 meals a day and hoping I'm getting the right mix of protein / veggies and fat.  I have a lot of the downloads in my wallet (feeling like George Costanza) and have posted the rules on my office wall.  I've told enough people I'm doing this to help me with accountability, but really love that there's a forum where we can all share what's going on.  

So happy day 4 everyone!  At the end of the day we will all be 15% of the way through.  I'm a numbers nerd.  It helps :D

Here we all are!  Still here!

I am SO tired today. Like crazy tired.  I am trying to keep myself awake so that I can nap when I go to acupuncture later. When I am craving crunchy I have an apple or carrots.  I hope that is okay.  I have been doing eggs every other day because I need to keep my protein to a minimum, so I will have fruit for breakfast but on those days I make sure that I have protein with lunch and dinner.....at least two out of three meals.

Drinking coffee black is getting easier.  Especially if it is iced.  : ) 

A couple of walnuts here and there are okay, right?

Hang in there!!

Kara

Thank you PatriciaNY!  I made a conscious effort today to get more water in... an abundance - and my headache is better!  So very thankful.  I plan to start/resume exercising again tomorrow.  That should help my head as well.  it's been busy, crazy with the start of new school year (I'm a teacher) - but I do believe that exercise and water should help.  Thanks again!!

End of Day 4 - feeling much better than I did last night.  Got a good deal of raw veggies in for lunch today.  A big salad w/ spinach, lettuce, tomato, carrots, cucumbers, green peppers.  Fresh berries to go along with the salad.  Made "fried" cauliflower rice for dinner - I was pleasantly surprised.  Found fresh cauliflower in a bag, already "riced" at Trader Joe's.  I'll make that again for sure. 

Best wishes for the weekend to everyone!  Time to plan, shop and cook a little more :)

14 hours ago, Karabeaner said:

Here we all are!  Still here!

I am SO tired today. Like crazy tired.  I am trying to keep myself awake so that I can nap when I go to acupuncture later. When I am craving crunchy I have an apple or carrots.  I hope that is okay.  I have been doing eggs every other day because I need to keep my protein to a minimum, so I will have fruit for breakfast but on those days I make sure that I have protein with lunch and dinner.....at least two out of three meals.

Drinking coffee black is getting easier.  Especially if it is iced.  : ) 

A couple of walnuts here and there are okay, right?

Hang in there!!

Kara

A couple of walnuts here and there are fine, but do try to keep them within meals - sprinkled on a salad for instance - just to reign in the snacking and allow your digestive system some  down time and give your body the oopportunity to learn to tap into it's fat stores for fuel, the same with the apples...

Can I ask why you need to keep your protein to a minimum?

Archived