Snacks???

Tara W

I'm on Day 2 of my Whole30, and the major issue that I've run into is not knowing what to snack on during the day.  I have a pretty high metabolism, so even if I eat a large meal, I'm likely to get hungry between meals.  Does anyone have ideas for approved snacks that I can use between meals if I need them?  I'm trying not to snack, but between lunch and dinner, I've been incredibly hungry.  Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

For sure if you are not able to make it 4-5 hours between meals, you could have a mini meal containing, ideally, protein + fat + veggies. If you can't manage all three, your better choices are protein and fat or protein and veggies. 

Feel free to post your meals here so that we can take a look. Most often we find that people are unintentionally undereating, thus causing them to need to "snack". Even those with a rapid metabolism should be able to compose meals to get 4-5 hours between.  We can take a look and help you out if you'd like. Include portion sizes, specific types of proteins, veggies and fats etc.  Also include exercise, fluids, sleep and stress. They all factor in. :)

Thanks for your reply, ladyshanny!  I get full with my meals pretty quickly, but then am hungry again within about 3 hours.  For lunch today, I had a plate of baby spinach with leftover taco meat from last night's dinner, along with tomatoes and guacamole and some compliant hot sauce.  I'm still shaky, even after about an hour...my blood sugar levels seem to be a bit weird or something.  I just added on a half-apple and some compliant almond butter, and it seems to be stabilizing a little, but I still feel 'off'.  I'm slightly dizzy and shaky.  Is this normal when you cut out food groups to have this sort of reaction?

• Administrators

Alright, so that one meal is probably pretty small if you didn't have any other substantial veggies. Spinach is next to nothing once chewed down. Either eat a literal bucketful (think: serve yourself salad in an old mixing bowl) or add 1-3 cups of sturdier or cooked veggies.  

There's nothing about what your other meals look like and nutrition is cumulative so if you are or have been undereating at your other meals, it would impact how you're feeling now.  Also, lots of people inadvertently end up going too "low carb" if they are not consistently having at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie. Depending on what your previous intake was like, you may need starchy veggie at a couple meals a day until things normalize for you.

Dizzy and shaky has nothing to do with not eating grains, dairy and soy but everything to do with not properly replacing those food groups with adequate calories from whole-food sources. Add fat, add protein, bump up the veggies. Literally if you are hungry sooner than 4-5 hours, you need to eat more at meals. If you're concerned about cramming in more volume, stick with cooked veggies and denser fat sources (like homemade mayo, ghee etc).

• 3 months later...

I'm on day four of the program--- and have fully accepted the admonishment of "NO SUGAR"-- at all meaning that if it lists "sugars 0mg" there is sugar in and stay away from it!!!

As I have a moderate fitness regime I saw Melissa's promo of the Barefoot provisions "whole meaty" kit...so I ordered it to tide me through the times I can't access fresh foods... to my surprise there were a number of items that had a significant amount of sugar---namely

Epic Chicken Meat with Curran Seasoning--  5g of sugar

Wild Zora Chilli Beef meat and veggie bar-- 8g of sugar

Epic uncured bacon -- 2g of sugar

What give here...is this program totally sugar free or not?

rEH

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Ed Howell said:

I'm on day four of the program--- and have fully accepted the admonishment of "NO SUGAR"-- at all meaning that if it lists "sugars 0mg" there is sugar in and stay away from it!!!

As I have a moderate fitness regime I saw Melissa's promo of the Barefoot provisions "whole meaty" kit...so I ordered it to tide me through the times I can't access fresh foods... to my surprise there were a number of items that had a significant amount of sugar---namely

Epic Chicken Meat with Curran Seasoning--  5g of sugar

Wild Zora Chilli Beef meat and veggie bar-- 8g of sugar

Epic uncured bacon -- 2g of sugar

What give here...is this program totally sugar free or not?

rEH

@Ed Howell - the "no sugar" has absolutely nothing to do with the nutritional label. Most natural foods have naturally occurring sugars. The issue is with ADDED sugars; those that are added to the product during the manufacturing process or added as a sweetener like putting honey in tea.

Read the ingredient list of the item you wish to consume. If there is sugar in the ingredient list, it's out. If the ingredient list is clean, in!

@Ed Howell

You've had similar questions about sugars answered at least twice across multiple threads.  Can you clarify what the confusion is?  To eat a "No sugar" diet you could only eat fat and protein, and could never eat vegetables, nuts, or fruits.  You might want to review the http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/ (red bold added by me)

• Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.

I appreciate your personal response...very professional.   Yes, my primary issue right now is "sugar"   Help me some more here-- How can I tell by reading the label if the sugar listed is natural or added?  Can I conclude in barefoot products that the sugar is natural.  --- So far I have not consumed a single packaged product that listed any "sugar"

rEH

If there is sugar or a sugar derivative listed in the ingredients list, its added, if its not in the ingredients list, its not added. Can you list what's in the ingredients listing so we can see? Then maybe that would clear things up for you?

@Ed Howell

On products (in the USA at least), there is a "Nutrition Facts Label" that will look something like this:

NL.PNG

Ignore this entirely for the Whole30.  Yes, you heard me.  Don't even look at it.  This gives you no information pertaining to the Whole30.

There should also be a list, just words, that starts with "Ingredients: "

ing.jpg

Look only at this list.  Is there sugar, sweetener, etc here?  Then it has been added.  For instance, this example list includes tapioca syrup, sugar, tapioca maltodextrin, any one of which would rule this product out as being non-compliant.  The ingredient list is King.  Learn to love reading ingredient lists.

http://whole30.com/2015/04/whole30-label-reading/

(However, if you are monitoring your carb/sugar intake for reasons outside the Whole30, that is outside of the scope of the ingredient list and anything I can tell you.)

Hope that helps!

Archived