Does it get easier?

KatieK436

Hi friends! I just finished my 2nd whole30... Lots of NSV but the scale was not as victorious at the first round. that's okay, I'm focusing on the positive and trying to be kind to myself. My question is does saying NO to those trigger foods or disruptive foods get easier??! I know dairy does not sit with me. Gluten is meh... No horrible effects, mostly lethargic feelings. But somehow I was eating them daily between my two rounds (6 months between whole30s). I want to be more mindful but it is hard to turn down foods I love... The fresh baked bread from my favorite Italian place, the ice cream during the summer, family recipes. Some things I do without no problem. Then there are days where I'll eat crap food even though I know I'll be paying for it. I'm heading out of town next week for a bachelorette party. I will drink wine and be a little lax but I don't want to over do it. I want to enjoy cake but not go overboard. How do you all find the strength to make your food choices second nature? How did you find food freedom to enjoy what you want and be done with it, no guilt, no binges?

• 2 months later...

Hi KatieK436,

I'm not a Whole30 professional by any means, but I maybe can provide a little insight on this because I read the book and they spoke on it.  The trick is you have to find and figure out foods you know are "worth it."  So in the book, these "worth it" foods are the foods that you really really really love and not just things you like or are "meh".  If you love a food that much, you're not really supposed to "turn it down" so to speak, because that's not food freedom.  You're still attaching a "good" and "bad" label to the food itself.  If the food is something you genuinely love, enjoy, and brings you joy, it should never bed "bad."  Another helpful trick is to create the if/then scenarios ahead of time.  (I know this maybe too late and you already attended the bachelorette party.). For instance, at that bachelorette party, you can say if my friends offer me wine (that's cheap and doesn't taste good), then I will politely decline and drink sparkled La Croix instead.  They say in the book that these occasions are not about the food, they're about the experience and the people you're with.  So you could still enjoy the experience without engaging in the foods/drinks that you don't really care for.  For instance, this week I"m on vacation with my cousins in Denver and mind you I'm only on day 8 of my first Whole30.  This has been extremely hard and tests my willpower every minute.  They tell me all sorts of things like I'm silly, how can you do that? That's so hard!  That's so crazy!  The list goes on.  So the best thing for me to do is not to be a killjoy and actually accommodate to them.  So for instance, I knew they wanted dessert after dinner and I purposely asked them if they wanted to go to this shaved ice cream place.  One of my favorite desserts to eat!  And when I got there, yes the craving was there, but I said this time is about being with my cousins and not about the ice cream.  So while they pigged out, I ordered hot tea, sat and conversed with them, played two rounds of Jenga, and then it was done.  That's another thing I tell myself mentally--this is just a 30 minute or 1 hour time phase.  It will pass and no one will remember I didn't eat the ice cream!  And it's so true.  No one will care that you didn't eat with them after dinner is done.  Anyway, hope this helps somewhat!  Stay true to yourself and your commitments!  

Archived