Vital Proteins Collagen Protein, Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed, Non-GMO, Beef Gelatin

Robertaworley

Vital Protein makes a product called  Vital Proteins Collagen Protein, Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed, Non-GMO, Beef Gelatin. From my research, this can be used for soups and such but also for making an equivalent of JellO.  On another post, I read something that made making gummies Whole30 compliant.

I've already fallen off the Whole30 wagon once and have no intentions of doing that again.  Will someone please relieve my confusion?  Is beef gelatin compliant? are gummies made with beef gelatin also compliant?

Thank you. 

• Moderators

Beef gelatin made with all compliant ingredients is okay. But here is the thing, don't distract yourself making beef jello, gummies, or any of the exotic things that are permissible. Just eat meat, seafood, eggs, veggies, and fats. You can't go wrong with that. 

In your opinion, Tom, is there anything that can be made with beef gelatin that wouldn't be considered a treat?  I've never used such a thing before but was reading just today about peptides.  I really don't know what the difference is between peptides, beef gelatin and there was one other thing that Vital Proteins makes that I cannot remember.  Thanks for you help!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 19/09/2016 at 3:04 PM, Robertaworley said:

In your opinion, Tom, is there anything that can be made with beef gelatin that wouldn't be considered a treat?  I've never used such a thing before but was reading just today about peptides.  I really don't know what the difference is between peptides, beef gelatin and there was one other thing that Vital Proteins makes that I cannot remember.  Thanks for you help!

I use a Hydrolyzed collagen (peptides) and I simply stir it into my coffee. This is a version of gelatin that never gels. The beef gelatin is going to need to be dissolved into something that you want to "set". This doesn't make it super handy for regular consumption. You could use it for soups and sauces that you want to thicken or, I imagine, you could bloom it and then stir it into your coffee as long as you drink that coffee before it starts to cool. As far as I'm concerned the hydrolyzed collagen (peptides) are much easier to incorporate into your regular life without making "treats". You might want to go for that one next time.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if Vital Proteins collagen peptides is good for muscle building or recovery. I am starting to train for a kettlebell certification in October and I am using 2 scoops of collagen in my morning coffee. I was wondering of if I should use it  after working out? I know Dallas and Melissa are RKC certified and thought they could add some insight

• Administrators

@Anthony Della Rosa - Morning. Dallas and Melissa are unlikely to comment here but one of their close friends actually wrote an article about this. The short of it is that collagen (or gelatin, basically), is not a substitute for animal protein sources post-workout. Don't stop taking it because there are myriad health benefits, but you'd be selling yourself short if that's all you use.

https://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/03/15/gelatin-post-workout-recovery/

Archived