I miss Ketchup

susanleaf

• Moderators

Which recipe did you use? Could you just make it without the spices? Or without whichever spices it is you don't care for, if there's one in particular that bothers you?  I have to admit, I haven't made any myself -- I mostly only use it on french fries, so haven't felt the need for it on Whole30 -- so I can't give you a specific recipe, but I know there are several out there, if you google Whole30 ketchup recipe.

• 5 months later...

A friend who is also doing Whole30 loves ketchup. This is what I came up with for her. I rarely measure anything, so the measurements are approximate and can be adjusted to taste.

1 tablespoon Whole30-compliant oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 pounds very ripe whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp frozen 100% white grape juice concentrate (more if you like it sweeter)
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 tsp ground celery seed (optional)
1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
1/4 tsp ground mustard (optional)
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions until caramelized. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn on the bottom, for about 45 minutes, or until thickened. Cool, puree in blender, ready.

Heinz ingredients: Tomato concentrate, distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, onion powder, spice, natural flavorings

• 1 month later...

Best Ketchup Ever

My husband, who did not do Whole30 with me, has said this is so much better than any other ketchup he's ever had. You can make is as spicy as you want (or not at all) by the amount of Cayenne pepper you add.

1/2 cup chopped, pitted dates

1 - 6 oz can tomato paste

1 -14 oz can diced tomatoes

2 T coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup bone broth or water (I use water)

1 t garlic powder

1 t onion powder

1 t salt

cayenne pepper to taste (I use about 1/4 t)

Add all ingredients to small saucepan

Cook on medium/low heat fro 20 minutes and then turn the heat off

Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth (you can use a regular blender too)

Remove blender and cook on low heat for another 10-15 minutes

Archived