Starting Sept 25th and a little scared!

Heaven02

Hi All,

This is my second run through whole 30.  I did my first one in January.  I since have slipped a little into some bad habits.  I experimented with some oat bran, stevia and protein powder, times of too much fruit, and my cravings are back!  I also may not be eating enough fat with my meals.   I have also been binging on nuts occasionally (usually when I am having the oat bran i load it with sliced almonds and flax seed oil).

I want to create a better relationship with food.  I am so tired of focusing on my weight etc.  I want to feel better.  I want to feel sane around food.   

I only have a few things to clean out of my food pantry.  I will put them in the back room until I am ready for reintro...or maybe throw them out.  That oat bran!   Some pea protein powder. Vega protein powder.  If I put the nuts in the back of the 2nd fridge I should be ok for now.  I can have them when i gain some sanity....

If anyone one is starting now I would love some company, companionship...support :-)

Blessings to you all. 

I will start today along with you.  It is actually a restart, but we will call it a fresh start.  I tried Whole30 for the first time back on the 6th of this month.  It was going really well, but I didn't plan well this past week and got pretty far off kilter.  I figure I will cut my losses and try again!  Today I am prepping for the week.  I have a chicken roasting for chicken salad with bacon and green onions.  I grilled some eggplant for baba ghanoush and have a huge pork shoulder slow roasting in our basement oven.  There is still more to do, but as I sit here, taking in the delicious aromas of this food, I think I can do this!  It is really great food!  

I do understand about the nuts, though.  I took some to work my first week, along with a Larabar, and quickly realized I needed to NOT have those at my desk.  Good luck!

So glad you are joining me!  Or rejoining as the case may be.  Your prep work sounds wonderful.  If you are "feeding five" through this I am very impressed.  I am just feeding myself and it is hard enough!  My husband is not in on it and cooks his own food so that makes it easier on me. 

I have a lamb neck roast ready to go in slow cooker for tomorrow.  I have some eggs hard boiled and plenty of green beans that I cooked today.  I probably could get by a couple more days with defrosting food from the freezer, but I am out of lettuce and I like my salads with dinner so I will be going shopping either tomorrow or Tuesday.

I did get through my first day! One caveat I will say up front is that I am allowing my fruit after my dinner instead of during meal.

Looking forward to seeing how things go with you!

I will start tracking with you too! I was planning on starting Oct 3 but I am coming off a weekend of wedding and family and travel and I was losing my sense of  moderation even before that. It will be good to commit sooner than rather than later.  I started my first whole 30 in July and didn't quite finish but have going pretty well on the lifestyle. But I'm getting farther and farther off track and my aches and fatigue and allergies are coming back.  I was thinking I'd take this week to ease into it, but I'll see if I can just jump back in tomorrow with the cauliflower and spinach and ground turkey already in my fridge for breakfast.

Good luck on your W30 journeys.  One thing I have learned in this process is that both fruit and nuts need to come off my menu.  Four weeks ago this would  have seemed impossible but now it is getting easier.  Fruit triggers intense sugar cravings for me and nuts become a major no brakes food and before I know it I have consumed much more than a serving size.  So I am editing out of my life.  Not easy and I don't always nail it but I am trying hard every day.  I know I would not have this knowledge without W30.

Day one is in the books and really went well.  I cooked and cleaned and was a worn-out mess by bedtime, then I couldn't get to sleep.  I have been taking magnesium, but it was just a rough night.  That led to a dragging feeling this morning and I got a late start and brought my breakfast to work, but didn't have a chance to eat much because of a LONG meeting.  I kept up my water intake, but by lunchtime, I was famished!  I made Well Fed's Thai Yummy Salad and put pulled roast pork on it for my lunch.  It was delicious!  Dinner will be easy...carnitas made from the rest of the roast pork and freshly fried plantains!  Yum!  I have Pioneer Woman's Salsa and guacamole, plus some other vegetable to round it out.  

I do, or did, feed 5...well, 6 if you include hubs.  But 2 are away at college right now, so I have 2 teens, an adult son and hubs to feed.  I mostly make a Whole30 entree and they all eat that plus vegetables, then fill in with pasta or such to fill those growing bellies!  I make a large batch of something for the school-age kids each Sunday and portion it out, so lunches are easy for them.  Husband is now eating my W30 breakfasts, too.  

It's a good day.

Well I got through day 2.  I am not used to eating that much for my 1st meal, but I did it anyway because I want to try something different from my way of eating.  I felt more satisfied by dinner time, although I still want to pick and eat while I prepare. I did have a small snack after dinner of a few cooked baby carrots mixed with maca, milk thistle seeds and collagen powder.  But still all in all a pretty good day on the plan. 

Casey glad you are jumping in, and that is very brave of you with a wedding coming up.

hmg I know what you mean about the nuts and fruit.  I really don't think I can put the fruit down or I would probably try.  In the past I just ended up binging when I tried so for now I will just keep fruit to only one serving a day...maybe a second if it is a grapefruit.   The nuts are away for now...can't say I won't attempt to have them in small amounts again on a trial basis but not til I gain a stronger foundation.

Feeding 5 you sound like you have a good handle on that large family situation!  That is something to be proud of!

Off to bed.  Thanks for being here.

I had a false start and then ended up sick for several days so I started over Sept 30. So far doing okay. Maybe not quite as hard as the first time, tho I don't know how much my flu recovery has played a part.... being nauseated helps curb your cravings! And I've been more tired than usual which I was handily contributing to recovery but also I remember I was sleeping like 12 hours a day for the first week of my first whole 30 so it could be some of that.  

I hope everyone else is hanging in there!

I had a false start and then ended up sick for several days so I started over Sept 30. So far doing okay. Maybe not quite as hard as the first time, tho I don't know how much my flu recovery has played a part.... being nauseated helps curb your cravings! And I've been more tired than usual which I was handily contributing to recovery but also I remember I was sleeping like 12 hours a day for the first week of my first whole 30 so it could be some of that.  

I hope everyone else is hanging in there!

Archived