First Whole30 Starting Oct 1st

Nilam Patel

Also started my whole30 today! I did one last April and felt I was successful with it, never felt better actually! Of course life happened and here I am 6 months later ready to go again. Good luck to everyone at the end you will feel on top of the world!

I love the idea of checking in on this forum, it will be very beneficial! Had a little rough start this morning from the dinner party the night before, but I learned that I need more than three eggs and an apple for breakfast. I never eat breakfast, so lesson learned. How was everyone else's morning?

Hello Fellow Whole 30'ers.... Here we are on day 2 of Whole 30. Day one went great.  This morning I also passed a temptation when I walked past a plate of donuts at church. Yeah !!

Yesterday my wife and I made the basic mayonnaise in the Whole 30 cookbook and WOW.....we both agreed that it was the best mayo that we had tasted. We made it using the Avocado oil  and blended it with an immersion hand blender. I think we will try it next time using Olive oil due to the face that Avocado oil is a little pricy. We paid $8  for a 16 oz bottle at Trader Joes. Maybe the olive oil will be good also I will have to test it out.  I wish all of you the best on your journey to better living. None of us are going to starve.....We CAN do this.  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, LincolnDan said:

Hello Fellow Whole 30'ers.... Here we are on day 2 of Whole 30. Day one went great.  This morning I also passed a temptation when I walked past a plate of donuts at church. Yeah !!

Yesterday my wife and I made the basic mayonnaise in the Whole 30 cookbook and WOW.....we both agreed that it was the best mayo that we had tasted. We made it using the Avocado oil  and blended it with an immersion hand blender. I think we will try it next time using Olive oil due to the face that Avocado oil is a little pricy. We paid $8  for a 16 oz bottle at Trader Joes. Maybe the olive oil will be good also I will have to test it out.  I wish all of you the best on your journey to better living. None of us are going to starve.....We CAN do this.  

Be sure you use light tasting olive oil, not extra virgin olive oil. EVOO makes for very strong, bitter tasting mayo that most people don't care for.

Hey guys!

Day 4 here and I still feel great! I don't have that kill everything feeling, I also did not have the day 2-3 hangover. Which is surprising because the night before I started the whole 30, I had lots of wine, pizza, and a cupcake. So it does make me question if I am doing things correctly. Nostalgic factor is definitely gone, hoping I can get through this! On the positive side, I have made some amazing dishes, that I will be incorporating even after the Whole 30. How is everyone else's whole30 going?

• Administrators
On 03/10/2016 at 9:50 AM, EJSmadhatter said:

I think it might be a great idea to join together the 2 Oct 1st feeds. I think we can be supportive to each other. What does everyone think?

Hi @EJSmadhatter - I've seen you post suggestions for getting people all onto one thread before and I just wanted to let you know that we don't actually encourage soliciting folks all into one thread. There's a couple reasons for this. First, it is hellaciously hard for the moderators to go through huge group threads, the threads often move faster than we can keep up with so we don't always see people that are needing help or guidance. Second, it can be difficult for people to keep up themselves and some folks might be put off by the huge groups. We've had some smaller groups that have excellent "personality" and serve their small number of contributors very well.

Just some food for thought....not everyone wants to be supported in a massive group of people. :)

• Administrators
On 03/10/2016 at 9:50 AM, EJSmadhatter said:

I think it might be a great idea to join together the 2 Oct 1st feeds. I think we can be supportive to each other. What does everyone think?

Hi @EJSmadhatter - I've seen you post suggestions for getting people all onto one thread before and I just wanted to let you know that we don't actually encourage soliciting folks all into one thread. There's a couple reasons for this. First, it is hellaciously hard for the moderators to go through huge group threads, the threads often move faster than we can keep up with so we don't always see people that are needing help or guidance. Second, it can be difficult for people to keep up themselves and some folks might be put off by the huge groups. We've had some smaller groups that have excellent "personality" and serve their small number of contributors very well.

Just some food for thought....not everyone wants to be supported in a massive group of people. :)

Hello!  Can't believe it has already been a week.  Going well so far.  I'm really surprised by how I'm not hungry between meals.  I really thought I would be.  The one day I wanted a snack, I realized it more frustration with work and life rather than actually being hungry, and was able to hold off until dinner.  Late night snacking, usually a big temptation, really hasn't been a problem either.  I'm not sure if this means that I'm eating too much at meals, or it's all good.  I never feel stuffed or even particularly full at the end of a meal, so I think I'm ok, but it's a strange sensation not to be craving something at all hours of the day :)

Favorite foods so far: chicken salad with grapes and apples and homemade mayo (one batch lasted 3 days which was great!) and I'm not tired of eggs yet - some kind of scramble usually figures into the day.  TJ Chicken Chili Lime burgers (with guac!) are a life saver too when I need some quick protein when all my cooked-ahead-of-time stuff has run out.

Hope everyone else had a good first week!

Hi Everyone,

I started on October 2nd, so pretty close to the 1st! It has been better than I expected too.  I didn't plan well enough, so evening meals after long days at work were hard.  However, going to spend my weekend getting better prepared for next week.  I think this is a great time to do this, to reprogram out bodies right before the holidays.  I have woken up with bad headaches the last three days.  I'm not sure if it is the Whole30 or not.  I've also had a cold, so I've been boosting my head while sleeping due to congestion and my neck is sensitive due to an auto accident two years ago.  Has anybody else had bad headaches?  Also, has anyone tried any of the Primal Kitchen mayo or other store-bought products?  Finally, I've found a few sources for recipes (including Whole 30 app, web-site and Whole30 30-day guide), but wondering if anybody has happened upon another site that may be good?

For mayo, I've also just made my own (using the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo), and substituting apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice, plain olive oil, and then an immersion blender - takes less than a minute - it's rather remarkable.    Love the Well Fed cookbook, and Nom Nom Paleo.  The website stupideasypaleo.com also has lots of good recipes. I also got a bunch of good ideas from the posts to the Whole 30 Recipes Facebook page.

No headaches for me, although I did end up getting a cold on Day 3 (definitely a cold - all the classic symptoms!) so that's slowed me down a bit and in general made food taste less interesting, at least until my sinuses open up again!   I mainly get headaches related to caffeine -- have you changed how much/often you drink caffeine?

I'm drinking a little less caffeine in the afternoon.   Since I'm only experiencing the headaches in the morning when I wake up, maybe it is after a length of time without caffeine, but I've never been a huge pm caffeine drinker.  I think I'll just wait and hope it passes...

I definitely plan on trying out the homemade mayo tomorrow!

Hi everyone! Happy to find this thread! Since there isn't an "official" Whole30 going on right now and none of my friends/family are doing it with me, I need the support! On Day 10 today and so far, so good. I think I ate too many carbs in my first week, so I'm changing it up this week and focusing more on salads and green veggies. I have been going WAY over my grocery budget, so I'm going to spend the rest of the week meal planning to get the most out of my money. My biggest splurge item is La Croix - I drink like 3/day and it's killing my budget! I need to cut back to just one per day and I should still be able to have my "treat".

Archived