being gentle with yourself

I recently completed 21 days of a whole 30. I have had to go cold turkey on some medication and as it is quite stressful for my body I have decided not to restart for now as mentally it will be stressful for me. My 3 meals a day are whole30 compliant, minus a tiny bit of butter or something here or there. I also have a small amount of non-compliant foods and a glass of wine here or there.

Physically I'm feeling ok (minus the cold turkey withdrawals) but mentally I am being quite horrible to myself about not whole-30ing right now.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you manage it? 

We're hardest on ourselves but the good news is that we have the control to "flip the switch".  I used to be beat myself up for every transgression and lived in a all or nothing world.  When nothing hit, I would binge because I was so disappointed.  It was a horrid hamster wheel that I couldn't get off.  Now, I celebrate what I have achieved, ask myself what I have learned if I miss a goal and just move on.  No guilt.  You did three weeks, that's amazing.  It sounds like your food choices now are great.  Celebrate and enjoy that.  And remember, you're doing this for you, nobody else.  I liken it to Yoga, this is not a competitive sport!

Archived