Starting 1st W30 Oct 10!

HilaryR

Hello! My name is Hilary, and In will be starting my first Whole30 on October 10 2016. I have ben struggling with extra weight that may be connected to underlying medical issues... I read "It Starts With Food" and later The Whole30 book and something clicked. I love cooking, and am thrilled that the W30 aligns with my general approach to food - eat seasonally/organically and locally when possible. Happily prepping and planning until I get started on the 10th! :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All! I started yesterday...and came on here to see if anyone else is doing a Oct W30 :D Yay! This will be my 3rd W30 if I can finish it (meaning I've started and only made it a few days soooooo many times in the last few months).  I have been having some of my own health problems creeping back in...extra weight...lots of life stress...I was eating so awful and drinking way too much. I just bit the bullet and started! Happy prepping today for those starting tomorrow :-D  

So glad to see this! I too am starting Whole 30 today. I tried in September and lasted 12 days before I gave into old habits. I would love support because I think it would make all the difference in the world. Trying to learn healthy eating habits and begin a better relationship with food. 

:-) 

43 minutes ago, denisenicole said:

& those carbs...

You should be able to get in plenty of carbs from your veg intake - for starches (all varieties of potatoes, beets, yams, winter squash etc) we'd recommend starting out with a minimum of a fist sized serving per day & see how you go from there...

Hi everyone,

I'm on Day 1 too. I have just completed a Whole30 (ish) but immediately fell back into old habits straightaway. I have quite a history behind me so it seems I need longer than 30 days and I also need to be 100% compliant this time around. Too many sultanas, nuts, snacks and coconut products first time around. 

Let's smash this together.

18 minutes ago, TheHealthfullWay said:

Too many sultanas, nuts, snacks and coconut products first time around. 

Can you elaborate on this please? I thought that nuts and coconut products (Shredded/flaked/milk) are encouraged as the sources of fat with meals? I actually had a handful of coconut flakes this morning to get the fat component in - I know it was compliant, just interested in the reason you will be avoiding those items in your current W30.

I am starting today too and would love to be part of a support network. I am determined to make it through all 30 days as I've been trying to start since 10/7 and keep being non compliant. The health results were so amazing last time I completed a whole 30 that I really want to see it through.

2 hours ago, HilaryR said:

Can you elaborate on this please? I thought that nuts and coconut products (Shredded/flaked/milk) are encouraged as the sources of fat with meals? I actually had a handful of coconut flakes this morning to get the fat component in - I know it was compliant, just interested in the reason you will be avoiding those items in your current W30.

Those are compliant.  However if your start using those as replacement snacks for your sugar fix, it defeats the purpose.  So they're fine, until they become your new crack. lol

9 minutes ago, Maureenlt said:

I am starting today too and would love to be part of a support network. I am determined to make it through all 30 days as I've been trying to start since 10/7 and keep being non compliant. The health results were so amazing last time I completed a whole 30 that I really want to see it through.

Me too! I did 12 days of the September Whole 30 but then I just shot myself in the foot with bad decisions. Been trying to restart since then. I have to make it through this and would love the support of others! 

14 hours ago, HilaryR said:

The sugar in dried fruit is pretty condensed so many people find it keeps their sugar dragon alive - good when sprinkled on a salad maybe, not so good when eaten by the handful in a trail mix.

Although nuts are a fat for Whole30 purposes they are a lot more carb dense than most people give them credit for - especially cashews - so they can become quite addictive. Apart from that they can be pretty hard on the digestive system, and they're much higher in omega 6 fatty acids which most of us get way too much of anyways. Our recommendation for nuts would be to limit them to a closed handful, every other day, max - again, throw them on a salad for the crunch factor, but be wary of eating them on their own.

Coconut products (flesh & milk specifically rather than oil) can also cause digestive distress in those sensitive to high FODMAP foods.

All things to be aware of :)

Hi! I am starting today too and it's my first time doing W30. I would love to be a part of this support group! I've been yo-yo dieting for as long as I can remember. and I have to be honest when I saw the portion of food that I can eat based on the recipes from the book. I was shocked and thought this cant be right? This much food and will make me feel good about myself? I'm used to the "bird eating" from all the weight loss diets I tried before.

Today, in my day 1. I am in the process of understanding that I'm doing W30 to learn how to love food without the guilt. To take the "diet" out of my head. That not because I am getting full, doesn't mean I am gonna gain weight. Its been two hours since I had my lunch. And I am NOT HUNGRY! Seriously & honestly I am not hungry. But I am BORED. All I can think of is the next meal. This is why I am doing W30. To have FOOD FREEDOM.

I am starting tomorrow (October 11). I did the full 30 days in July and felt great. Experimenting with reintroduction kind of knocked me off the straight and narrow path, and by mid-September, I was indulging in foods that I KNOW make me feel bad. I want to feel as good as I did by the second week of July: never hungry, energetic, good sleep, good disposition, no stomach aches, no headaches...Need I say more?! This afternoon I re-read the early chapters of Whole 30 and made my menu plan for the first three days. I have some cheese and some chocolate covered figs to get out of the house, but otherwise, I am ready. Tomorrow is the day our local organic market is open for business, and I have my shopping list ready! DH's birthday is behind us, so no more carrot cake. (And no, it was not worth it!) By the way, I'd love to lose some weight, but that is my secondary motivation.

P.S. I am an artist and a yoga teacher, 75 years old, retired and living in Central Mexico, mother of two and grandmother of five. My professional career was as a not-for-profit administrator and a librarian. I love the freedom that retirement has brought to me, and I am blessed with basic good health. I am physically active and want to stay that way!

Archived