Starting 1st W30 Oct 10!

HilaryR

So how is everyone doing?  I tried twice to make the mayo and ended up buying the Primal May at the health food store today but haven't tried it yet.  I am trying to follow the 7 days suggested in the book.  Cabbage....gross but I choked it down......  My whole 30 book is due back at the library today but I can't renew it because someone is waiting on it.  Are all of the recipes on Pinterest or should I just keep it awhile longer and pay the fine @ 5 cents a day.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! Day 2 I'm having a headache. It's 2 pm and not hungry but feeling sleepy. I read from the book that this is normal for a few days. So I'm trusting the program.

@Tinoch The recipes are all over the internet, which also is better because it doesn't just limit you from what's only on the book. So far I've been loving all the recipes that Ive tried.

I'm doing pretty well but I hadn't gone too long since finishing a complete Whole30.  Funny, I do feel a little sluggish again though.  Seems like each Whole30 starts with 4 or 5 days of sluggishness for me (this is my 3rd go round). I know how great I feel once I get through that, though! Recipes are all over the internet and you can follow Whole30 and Whole30 Approved on Instagram and recipes pop up all the time.  Nom Nom Paleo has some really good ones too.

Hi guys! Starting the W30 for the 3rd time...I have made incredible progress, but have so far to go. I got the new Hartwig book, FFF, and it caused me to face the fact that really I have NOT grown beyond the basic W30. I still have massive room to improve my habits and impulse control to get to a point where I do not have to think about this All. The. Time. to make it work. My big goals are 1)template meals 2) putting fork down between bites (quantifying 'mindful eating') 3) NOT EATING (MUNCHING/TASTING) DURING PREP AND CLEANUP (This is a HUGE struggle for me. And no, I'm not hungry) 4) drink tea post meal to foster the habit of this as a 'treat' rather than my overwhelming cravings for something sweet.

I am tracking my progress on these points in a journal, because I'm very visual and I LOOOOVVVEEE "checking things off". I am writing out a very basic menu for the week on Mondays (we have bunch of kids and endless evening activities so planning is absolutely crucial to avoid falling face first into a box of frozen pizza).

What strategies is everyone else leaning on, learned from the school of hard knocks (previous W30's :) ) , as well as brilliant ideas for those of you doing this your first time? I can totally sympathize with the "have started multiple times and fallen off the wagon" school of thought, I've done that too, but I know I need these parameters to help me build the habits to be able to live "my own" food freedom...

As a positive thought, I do find that after the first W30, the first days/week is not so hard-I start to see the positive changes quicker. This is my 2nd day and I'm already noticing a less puffy face, which I'm SURE is the removal of dairy. I have a sugar dragon, but really I have a DAIRY DRAGON :) I picture this as a cross between a Holstein and Dracula...

Finishing up day 2 - I feel really good! I need to work on getting enough water in, but other than that, happy on the program so far. I have been really grateful not to be counting calories, carbs and portion size... this just seems so easy and delicious. Right now, I have some beautiful steaks hanging out in the Sous Vide machine waiting for dinner which is super exciting and makes tuesday night dinner seem special.

I am a little worried about tomorrow AM - first time back to the Gym after having the flu, and not sure about the whole 4:30 AM pre-WO protein... I used to rely on half a banana because it was the only thing that seems palatable at that hour.

Hilary, I eat half a banana and 8 almonds or a spoonful of almond butter when I first get up, whether I'm doing a WO or not. That seems to give me a good start, and I can wait up to two hours for my "real" breakfast.

This was my day 2, and I took a 45 minute nap about 4:00 o'clock -- better for me than even a W30 compliant snack.

Strategies and "learned from experience: Menu planning is key for me. I usually plan 5-7 days at a time, because if something unplanned comes up, or I simply don't want to spend time cooking, I can switch meals around. I almost always cook extra. That way we can have leftovers for breakfast or lunch, or with another meal. Sometimes I freeze single portions.

This is my second Whole 30. I learned the first time that I need lots more vegetables to keep myself feeling full AND to keep myself "regular". First timers, you may get constipated even if you are eating plenty of fiber-filled foods. I bought magnesium tablets at my health food store the last time, and keep them on hand for occasional use even now.

Recipes: I use my Whole 30 Book for much of my cooking, and my other favorite is Healthy Kitchen by Sarah Ballantyne, otherwise known as Paleo Mom. She has lots of recipes on her blog and posts recipes frequently on Facebook. By the way, I am fairly certain you can find "like new" copies of these books at Amazon, and probably get them within a few days -- might cost no more than library fines and it's guilt-free!

Day 3 coming up. Let's do it!

3 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

Hilary, I eat half a banana and 8 almonds or a spoonful of almond butter when I first get up, whether I'm doing a WO or not. That seems to give me a good start, and I can wait up to two hours for my "real" breakfast

@HilaryR - A banana pre WO is going to provide the body with an immediate form of fuel. The recommendation for protein/fat preWO is so that the body has to learn to tap into it's fat stores for fuel as it takes longer for the protein & fat to digest, but doesn't leave the body thinking it's being starved.

The favourite option is a [soft] hard boiled egg - boil it lightly and it will be much easier to digest.

Hey everyone :)

For headaches and lethargy/lack of energy there are a couple of things you can do:

Make sure you're getting enough water on board - a half oz per pound of body weight daily is the recommendation

Remember to salt your food - sodium levels can drop by around 70% when switching to a  whole food diet and since the body needs sodium this is a big one to remember.

Make sure you're getting enough fat at each meal, over & above what you are using to cook with - a handful of olives, a half an avocado, a few tbsps of mayo etc

Include at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day - this generally helps in the early stages with the transition from a refined carb/sugary diet. You can cut back later if need be, or add in more if you like, particularly if you are prone to anxiety/depression or have a particularly active lifestyle.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

@HilaryR - A banana pre WO is going to provide the body with an immediate form of fuel. The recommendation for protein/fat preWO is so that the body has to learn to tap into it's fat stores for fuel as it takes longer for the protein & fat to digest, but doesn't leave the body thinking it's being starved.

The favourite option is a [soft] hard boiled egg - boil it lightly and it will be much easier to digest.

Thank you! Tried the egg and had a couple pinches of flaked coconut... took it a little easier than normal for the first workout and it went well. Now having the tuna that someone else mentioned for Post-WO... all a little strange but I trust the system! :) Have a great day everyone!

Hey All! I have been a little MIA...still plugging along on Day 5 here. I've been catching up and reading all the posts :D. I had a headache and felt tired (took a nap) on Day 2, but other than that...no crazy symptoms.  I decided to stop drinking coffee to give my adrenals a break and that has been the hardest for me emotionally. Herbal tea just doesn't feel as "comforting" first thing in the morning :-/ I'm tempted to warm up almond milk and put some cinnamon in it or something.

Thanks for the suggestions jmcbn :D

@Tinoch: As others here have suggested, there are plenty of W30 sources of recipes and info online. The whole30 (whole9) website itself has all the rules and information about the program. Nom nom paleo. and I also really like Mel Joulwan (well Fed) and Steph Gaudreau from Stupid Easy Paleo as far as online recipes and W30 inspiration :) 

Happy Whole30ing everyone :D

Took a nap today! Just 35 minutes, but I was sleepy. I guess I am right on schedule for Day 3. My WO today was 3:00 p.m.water aerobics in an outdoor pool, so lots of exercise and sunshine. I am a little behind in my water drinking for today, but there's time to catch up.  I did have turkey and pecans for my post-WO snack. Plan to have lamb chops, 1/2 a baked potato with ghee, broccolini, and some cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes for my dinner -- easy and totally Whole 30. Tomorrow's dinner will be pumpkin chili from Healthy Kitchen -- a little more prep time but also totally Whole 30, AND there will be enough leftovers for another meal.

Colorado Girl, the first time I did Whole 30 I cut my coffee consumption by limiting myself to one cup of 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf in the morning. Nothing after that. After one week, I shifted to one cup of 100% decaf, and then I cut it out completely. I stayed caffeine-free for about six weeks, but a visit to family in Seattle reintroduced coffee into my life. :rolleyes: I don't seem to need the caffeine kick to get going in the morning, but I love the taste of coffee. I will cut it out again this time, and then experiment with reintroducing it again. If I drink just one cup before 10 a.m., it does not seem to affect my stomach or the quality of my sleep. By the way, I totally lost my 4:00 pm chocolate habit, and that has not returned. Yippee.

I am feeling it this morning... Tired, body-ache (definitely from the gym), headache. I also had a strange dream where (for no reason at all) i stopped what I was doing to stand in line at some sort of store and they handed me a Coke which I opened and took a sip of without thinking. I was happy to wake up and realize that it was all a dream and that I didn't have to start over! :)

Today, I am going to really focus on water... i had multiple water bottles going yesterday and lost track of how much I actually drank! I also think that I need to work harder at  getting enough fat in with every meal (above what I cooked with). Finally - I am going to try to toss in a starchy veg with my post WO on Saturday and see if that helps recovery any.

Have a great day everyone!

On October 1, 2016 at 6:38 AM, HilaryR said:

Hello! My name is Hilary, and In will be starting my first Whole30 on October 10 2016. I have ben struggling with extra weight that may be connected to underlying medical issues... I read "It Starts With Food" and later The Whole30 book and something clicked. I love cooking, and am thrilled that the W30 aligns with my general approach to food - eat seasonally/organically and locally when possible. Happily prepping and planning until I get started on the 10th! :)

Hey I found it :) Let's talk food soon!  Cheers

Thanks @Mistyfire I didn't even think of soup :) Day 6 for me today! Holy macaroni...really? It will be one week down very soon. I might be imagining it, but I think my belly is a tad flatter this morning... ;) I had some unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon and a little coconut oil warmed up this morning...and it helped make me miss coffee just a little bit less. I've worked out everyday this week so far, yesterday was just 30 min and some stretching, but I like the focus on getting my body moving again. Stay strong everyone! 

Happy Whole30ing :D

Hi everyone, Day 4 here! Feeling a lot better. Less headaches and sleepiness. Its nice to see everyone's posts here. Keeping me motivated.

Yesterday I found out that we are having a girl's night out with my cousins in a month. The old me would start starving myself so I could try to look good. I would eat like a bird for two weeks then binge..and end up not showing up at the event because I feel horrible about myself. Which is stupid, I know! Im not gonna lie, that old habit came across my mind. Thought That I should keep doing W30 but half my meals, thinking that might make me lose weight faster. But then I thought it over again and reminded myself, I am not doing this mainly to lose weight ( I still want to lose weight, no lies!) but more than anything I want my "food freedom". I want to love food and not stress me out. I want to eat and feel full without the guilt. I want to go to events and family parties without feeling insecure and scared because I know I can't control myself from stuffing everything in my face. I have to trust the process!

On the brighter note:D I like the soup idea!

Sleepy again today (Day 4 for me.) but it could be because I woke up too early this morning, and not cause of doing the Whole 30 program.

i like the soup idea. I've had homemade chicken broth on cool mornings, and it's very satisfying, but I never thought of puréed vegetable soup. 

Question about the new book: does anyone have the Kindle version? For cook books and other books with diagrams or tables, I prefer the hardback version, but living here in Mexico, it could take up to two weeks to get here. It sounds like just what I need to help me make more of the permanent changes I need to make.

Am off to take a power nap, then maybe do some strength building exercises to supplement the walking I did this morning. Tomorrow is a yoga class, and Saturday is another brisk walk day.

we are doing this!

@Jmb369 I have the new book on Kindle.  If you have a Kindle Fire, books with pictures and tables are great on it.  I have several cookbooks that I use it for...easy to bookmark too. I have an original Kindle e-reader too that I only like for pleasure reading - nothing technical that I'll want to refer back to or anything with pictures/diagrams.  :) 

@bon_bon58 I am glad you ended your post on trusting the program :D  Every time I whole30, I have to tweak something here and there (maybe I had a little too many carbs or not enough protein and fat (or veggies) so I was starving after the last meal).  So it's finding the "sweet spot" of balance in nutrients my body needs. And sometimes that changes depending how much I exercise too. My mom barely eats anything, and she keeps gaining weight...so I see the havoc not eating enough can do to your metabolism :blink:The mindset that helps me is to shift the perception to feeding your body nutrient rich foods so it can shed the excess weight ;)? Keep going, you are doing great so far! :D   

Day 5 for me, am i imagining it or do i have a spring in my step i feel like im on top of the world. Made two batches of broth yesterday came home from work last night and the house smelt amazing. This morning had a beautiful cup of chicken broth was soo nice. Currently sitting here eating bacon eggs avocado & mayo. Have an amazing day everyone xx

Archived