Starting November First!!

Raven

Oh yes the dragon was just waiting. I had 1 glass of wine on Sunday and felt ok. So Monday I of course thought 1 glass is ok. Then yesterday no wine but a sugar cookie which made me feel sluggish. Today while working out I struggled and I know it's because of my choices the last few days. The previous 30+ days I wasn't sore and my joints didn't hurt but that was not the case today. Now all I can think about is m&m's ha ha. I need to focus and not let this snowball grow.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto all of the above. I slipped up all over the place even though I told myself not to.  I suspected this might happen based on my previous W30s. So I had actually joined another forum group that started after us to keep myself going. And told myself that it wouldn't be just 30 days to mentally prepare. 

I restarted a yesterday.  We had a work breakfast this morning and I ended up eating what I packed because nothing was compliant! 

I'm cooking later this evening to continue getting back on track one meal at a time. 

We've got this! 

I am certainly having the same struggles as everyone else. And the worse I feel the more I try to fix it through food -- non compliant food, to be precise. First it was dairy. Then it was gluten free waffles (with berries, not even maple syrup!) so it had to be the waffles that did me in. And I'm not drinking enough water. And yesterday I bought an organic chocolate bar at the farmer's market (75% cacao, which is not high enough!) I only ate 4 mini-squares, but it's calling me from its hiding place in the pantry! I haven't even tried wine or legumes!

So I am definitely on board for a 15-day reset, beginning tomorrow. I have actually been 100% a-ok today. And I already drank one and a half liters of water. But no exercise! I think the theory of Food Freedom Forever is sound, but this is the second time I have failed the reintroduction phase. It seems as if when my stomach doesn't feel good, I eat to feel better, and I usually choose dairy or sweets. Then when I am tired and sluggish, I turn to carbs or salted cashews.

It's good to know I am not alone, but it sure seems as if our experiences are universal. I wonder if there is any help forthcoming from the moderators.

I forgot to ask if anyone is finding that their appetite is blah, but hunger still arrives on a regular schedule. it doesn't matter if I plan to cook plain or creatively, I don't feel like cooking, but I feel like eating! My stash of prepared meals in the freezer is dwindling rapidly!

Wow... looks like post-whole30 days are harder than the strict ones, huh?

As for me, I'm making reintroductions the slow way...on Dec.2 I had rice (2 servings of paella, and no problem at all! great, since I love paella and sushi) No corn, because I suspect it may cause symptoms, and I wanted to separate it from rice. On dec.5 I had dairy... tried ice-cream for dessert. And boy did it hit hard. Before I noticed I had emptied the whole thing, so... ice-cream is no-brakes-food for me. Also, I felt ok just after, but, after a few hours, I started having the worst gases and bloating. I also had quite a night of constant waking up, and unrestful sleep.Dairy is ticked off the list of nice food!

Today I'm supposed to reintro something else, but as of now I've been compliant...

I'm really happy to have done these 30 days, because I learned to cook good food instead of caving in to junk or takeaway food. Now I can check which food groups are really hurting my body and which are off-limits to my non-moderating tendencies.

Keep it up, guys! Now it the time to reap what was sown this last month. Don't be thrown off by some bad choices, just learn from them and go back to the good road.

I'm kinda relieved that almost everyone is going through the same things.

so i've decied to just try lchf and so far it's been going great. i've been reading a lot on the subject and i'm finding it easy to follow, my workouts are great and i'm looking ok too! I'm thinking everything sugar related is food without breaks for me hahaha so I plan on staying away from it, and make a few exceptions keeping in mind what A LOT of sugar did to me. I do not plan on reintroducing dairy for real on my regular diet since the headache is almost immediate, and i dont miss cheese all that much!!!

i'm actually really happy i did this and that I'm figuring out what all those food groups do to my body. I've been really interested in reading about paleo and stuff, I love how it all makes sense.

Hi all! Yep struggling here too. Every day great intentions and so far every day have ended up eating something with wheat or milk or both - and suffering for it. Then do all over again. How stupid is that?? Don't want to beat myself up but really?? Have I that little respect for my health?

I think there's lots of psychology at play here - we all ( pretty much) managed 100% 30 days ( with VERY clear boundaries) and felt massively better for it but now we have to do it for ourselves a bit more were struggling. I've found "eating Less " website by Gillian Riley v helpful on this before and owning free choices so I'm going to head back there again and remember and list why I want to do this. 

Daughter did a cake stall at a fair on Monday and at home this eve so we have been completely awash with cake,  biscuits, brownie and chocolate. Not helpful! But have so far avoided the stollen and mince pies so some small victories! 

@liv.88 So identify with your sugar struggles. So easy to lose all control when you start. We have 2 weeks to Xmas so think I'm going to head back ...........oops........just remembered I'm helping judge at a Bake off competition tomorrow. Lol! Think of me around 6pm! How wrong can it go??

@Mallorca So well done!

@Jmb369How's the reset going? 

It's been a roller coaster ride for me, but I am learning something new about myself every day! 

Friday I was doing errands in town and stopped for coffee. I caved in and had a piece of chocolate cake. Was it worth it? NO! I forced myself to finish it, even though it was too sweet. What is that about? I dropped my membership in the clean plate club several years ago!  Within an hour I had a headache that lasted the rest of the day. I drank tons of water and had protein and veggies for dinner. Woke up feeling fine, so I learned that if something comes along that IS worth it, I can survive. But I need to carefully evaluate what is worth it and be willing to throw away food and money if it's not!

Experiment  #2: we met friends for lunch yesterday at a micro brewery with high quality pub food. I had my first alcohol in over two months -- not red wine, but a glass of stout. It was delicious, and I only drank about 300 ml. No unpleasant effects. So that is something I can repeat, if I want to. (I know from past experience that I react to both red wine and tequila, so it's nice to have an alternative.) It also tells me that when I am ready to experiment with non-gluten grains, I might try barley.

@britgirl I might find it hard to be around baked goods all the time. Are you a chef? By the way, I grew up in southeastern Pennsylvania, and mince pies were definitely part of our holiday fare. It was farm country, so we could buy homemade mincemeat. I once tried Cross & Blackwell in a jar, but it just was not the same. I've not had mince pie in probably 20 years or more! I would eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Better than all the Chrustmas cookies In the world!

i am optimistic that if I keep at it, I can definitely make this a way of life. And the more I eat this way, the more it reinforces that I feel better when I do. I think I will probably do several Whole 30 reset months in 2017. Next one probably February or March, but lots of mini resets between now and then.

Thanks to everyone who came back and posted. It's really, really helpful.

3 hours ago, Mallorca said:

@Jmb369 careful, barley HAS gluten. You have technically had your gluten-day hehe.

I know! Next time I will try it unfermented! Maybe in a beef and barley soup. I figured I was chancing it to do alcohol and grain in the same day. But it worked okay. Today is 100% whole 30 plus lots of water.

Just checking in on the group! I totally failed at reintro so I'm back on the 100% Whole30 horse as of yesterday. I know where I was before with my blood sugar all over the place and that's not a place I want to go back to so I'm keeping that in mind to motivate me. I also learned that after several weeks without alcohol, red wine is not my friend. I overindulged on Saturday and had an "emotional hangover" (serotonin was a mess) that lasted a good two to three days after. Today is the first day I've actually felt back to normal mentally. 

I am going to allow myself a few treats on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but December 26th I'll be right back at it. My mom was unable to finish her Whole30 with me in November because of a family emergency. But she is going to start on January 2 so I will do that one with her! 

*hugs*

On December 14, 2016 at 5:08 PM, NatalieCatalie_ said:

Just checking in on the group! I totally failed at reintro so I'm back on the 100% Whole30 horse as of yesterday. I know where I was before with my blood sugar all over the place and that's not a place I want to go back to so I'm keeping that in mind to motivate me. I also learned that after several weeks without alcohol, red wine is not my friend. I overindulged on Saturday and had an "emotional hangover" (serotonin was a mess) that lasted a good two to three days after. Today is the first day I've actually felt back to normal mentally. 

I am going to allow myself a few treats on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but December 26th I'll be right back at it. My mom was unable to finish her Whole30 with me in November because of a family emergency. But she is going to start on January 2 so I will do that one with her! 

*hugs*

My experience is very similar to yours. It seems that the opportunities for reintroduction come  all too frequently and too close together. I managed to do pizza on Wednesday and chocolate yesterday. The pizza did not upset my stomach, but certainly manifested itself in grain fog yesterday. So what did I do? I ate chocolate!  It was 74% cacao! but still too much caffeine and too much sugar! I am resolved to eat clean at least through the weekend! And drink lots and lots of wTer!

i like the idea of doing a Whole 30 starting January 2. Can I join you and your mom? Shall we stay here or start a new forum with the January start date?

2 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

My experience is very similar to yours. It seems that the opportunities for reintroduction come  all too frequently and too close together. I managed to do pizza on Wednesday and chocolate yesterday. The pizza did not upset my stomach, but certainly manifested itself in grain fog yesterday. So what did I do? I ate chocolate!  It was 74% cacao! but still too much caffeine and too much sugar! I am resolved to eat clean at least through the weekend! And drink lots and lots of wTer!

i like the idea of doing a Whole 30 starting January 2. Can I join you and your mom? Shall we stay here or start a new forum with the January start date?

I totally agree with you guys. It started with a glass of wine a couple weeks ago and now I find myself lazy. I haven't been cooking what I know I should be eating and actually ate a burrito the other night for dinner. I thought I was going to pay for it but my stomach was ok. I am back to eating a croissant for breakfast and it just keeps sneaking in here and there. 

Can I join your Jan 2nd group?

Count me in on the Jan 2 start! I reintroduced gluten this week, and the brain fog and discomfort has been so obvious, my NCGS is going strong. And the worst is that the brain fog is so heavy, I tend to overdo it, and eat waaaay too much. So, the rest of december will be mostly compliant with some concessions (rice is ok, dairy is not ok in big quantities but ok in small doses... and so on). Gluten has to be off, if I value my health in the long term.

It's been so good to which foods are ok and which are definitely not! The reintroductions phase is, IMO, the most important part of this process.

Count me in for January as well! I am also not happy with the reintroduction. I have found my body reacts very poorly to off plan food, so it's actually easier to stay on plan! Eating sweeteners triggers the sugar dragon and sugar gives me a headache and upsets my stomach. The only exception I'm making is for plain Greek yogurt for convenience and it doesn't bother me. 

It looks as if there are at least five of us ready to begin a new Whole 30 on January 2. Maybe  we can title our forum something like January 2 Repeat for November First "Graduates"  Any other suggestions?

So far I have @MarieRose13 @Mallorca @nataliecatalie_ @Anetters and me @jmb369

I wonder if any others are interested in joining us, maybe @irongirltrixie @britgirl @liv.88

I'm not sure why the @ formatting didn't convert some of these to notifications, but hopefully people will see this and respond.

I have learned a lot, too, during this reintroduction phase. One important fact is that my body can handle the occasional noncompliant food if it's in small amounts and it's infrequent. Last week I had a glass of stout, which was fine, and this week I had 2 pieces of pizza (wheat crust AND fresh mozarella), But I did not repeat any of those. Those were the good experiences. I had a terrible experience with a piece of chocolate cake and part of a chocolate bar -- could be the chocolate OR the sugar, but I won't be repeating either of those very soon! This week I want to experiment with lentils (no beans or peanut butter) and barley.

I am learning to make different decisions on snacks and cut back on nuts as my go-to snack. Yesterday afternoon I mixed about 1 1/2 oz. of leftover grilled salmon with 1 Tbl of mayonnaise and about 2 TBL of chopped leftover green beans for a 4 p.m. snack. It was small, satisfying, and kept me going until dinner at 7:15! I also keep homemade chicken bone broth in one-cup containers. That makes a good pre-breakfast or 4:00 p.m. snack when I need something to tide me over until the next regular meal.

I am hopeful that after a few more repetitions, I will really "get this!"

Hey lovely people! That's spooky as that's exactly what I was planning too so count me in! I think there might be a big one (like in sept??) but maybe that's the brain fog talking. Wd be lovely to stick together. Honestly couldn't have done it without you guys. 

Yep messed up reintro so not v helpful in terms of working out where abdo pain and morning stiffness are coming from. Currently staying with my mum and this eve was the Strictly final so curry, chocolate and crisps. And mulled wine. Ate far too much. Feel v I'll! Live and learn. I agree with @Mallorca the reintro is the most helpful bit so worth really planning the next one better and counting it as part of the whole. Ie a whole 42. 

BUT also want to learn to chose well on a meal by meal or food decision by food decision basis, not just be 100% on a plan then dive into a plate of mince pies when I fall/come off it. Focussing on health not weight has been brilliant as they are decisions that will always motivate (even when weight is lost or the plan ends) . I'm being investigated for thyroid dysfunction which also helps focus the mind! 

Out for a meal tomorrow but know I can be complient there. Boring but I can. Wish I could remember how awful I feel now so when faced with similar choices I don't chose this but it's odd how v quickly I forget! How are you guys all coping with the season??

@Jmb369 Not a chef but a physio who loves to bake! Daughter earns pocket money selling cakes and biscuits to friends and neighbours and we do mini hampers for Xmas gifts so yep nov & dec has been full on with the sweet smell of freshly baked all butter cake. I didn't find it hard while on plan ( that's the perfectionist mentality tho) but do find it hard now not 100% on and that's the bit I need to learn. We as a family also need to learn to celebrate without cake! Reading about  the effect on the body works well I find. And asking myself how will I feel in 5 mins time when I've eaten it ( regretful, cross with self, failure, bloating etc) 

I've been meaning to look up a gluten free mince pie recipe. Mince meat is really easy to make but v high sugar so def Xmas day only treat. I've seen a walnut pastry recipe so might have a play............

33 minutes ago, britgirl said:

@Jmb369 Not a chef but a physio who loves to bake! Daughter earns pocket money selling cakes and biscuits to friends and neighbours and we do mini hampers for Xmas gifts so yep nov & dec has been full on with the sweet smell of freshly baked all butter cake. I didn't find it hard while on plan ( that's the perfectionist mentality tho) but do find it hard now not 100% on and that's the bit I need to learn. We as a family also need to learn to celebrate without cake! Reading about  the effect on the body works well I find. And asking myself how will I feel in 5 mins time when I've eaten it ( regretful, cross with self, failure, bloating etc) 

I've been meaning to look up a gluten free mince pie recipe. Mince meat is really easy to make but v high sugar so def Xmas day only treat. I've seen a walnut pastry recipe so might have a play............

Paleo Mom has some excellent recipes for sweet treats, and I think I've seen several different pie crust recipes on her blog and/or on FB.Ssometime she use exotic ingredients that I can't find here in Mexico, or they can't be sent across the border, but give her website a try (paleomom.com). Every one of her recipes that I have tried, whether for main courses or treats, has been excellent.

And I've added you to the list for January 2. I'll probably start the new forum just before or just after Christmas.

Thanks for including me! 

The straight sugar gives me such a headache. We started this morning for the kids with a cookie party and because I knew it would just give me a headache I passed which was good. 

We have another get together this afternoon but it will be sledding in the snow so hopefully no standing around drinking wine.

im ready for the holiday season to be over ha ha 

@Anetters Sledging in the snow sounds idyllically seasonal! 

I'm intruiged by your sugar headaches - how did you work out it was sugar?? And well done for passing on cookies. I had a good lunch out then yep fell for mince pies at the Christingle service. Again. Now in pain. Again. I have SUCH a short memory!!!

thanks @Jmb369 for including me and for the paleo mum lead. About to check out ditch the carbs site too. 

Home tomorrow so will attempt to remember how eating rubbish feels and go for 80% compliance this week. 

Good luck all

23 hours ago, britgirl said:

@Anetters Sledging in the snow sounds idyllically seasonal! 

I'm intruiged by your sugar headaches - how did you work out it was sugar?? And well done for passing on cookies. I had a good lunch out then yep fell for mince pies at the Christingle service. Again. Now in pain. Again. I have SUCH a short memory!!!

thanks @Jmb369 for including me and for the paleo mum lead. About to check out ditch the carbs site too. 

Home tomorrow so will attempt to remember how eating rubbish feels and go for 80% compliance this week. 

Good luck all

Yes sledding was super fun but cold!

I have eaten wheat and beans and have no side effect but the second I eat something like a cookie or chocolate my head hurts. Plus I have noticed my joints more sore after my workouts. I just need to get thru this week and back to feeling good.

Archived