Starting November First!!

Raven

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

started off late.. woke up at 1030, slept 11 hrs +! felt depressed. had caffeinated green tea. my mind missed coffee, not my body. had a pre workout snack (small sweet potato) and then went power walking for 60 minutes in the beautiful sunny autumn weather. my liver area hurt, and so did my right knee, but it got better as I progressed with walking. came back feeling much more positive, and had a post workout snack: 2 persimmons.. where's the protein?? as I write this my spinach frittata is cooking so that will be my breakfast (at 1pm!) btw I am really surprised how much fat is being recommended (and protein) in this program and I really cannot imagine losing weight. but that's not really my aim at all, I want my emotions to stabilize, to live coffee-free for 30 days and to see how that affects me when i reintroduce it. and for better digestion, and more (or some) radiance in my complexion. so yes I am not doing this correctly in that I might be eating more fruit than recommended. I need to learn to eat regular, sit down, meals. what times do you eat your meals?

Started!!!! Nov 1st is here! 

This was my latest date on my planning calendar... I have been prepping then unprepping for a few months now. Ha really something to the Comitment of this hard picked date that worked! Already a big life lesson here for me! 

There are many eeeekkks, aaahhhhs, OMGs and the like... Then I remember to breath! 

First time on a forum, very new to having/taking/receiving outside support... Really glad to have the instructions and explanation to do so, as this massive online support community IS very key to "keeping [me] motivated, inspired, and accountable" (pg19 step2) 

Thank you all already! 

And to November 1st :D here we are! 

2 hours ago, SpiralUp said:

started off late.. woke up at 1030, slept 11 hrs +! felt depressed. had caffeinated green tea. my mind missed coffee, not my body. had a pre workout snack (small sweet potato) and then went power walking for 60 minutes in the beautiful sunny autumn weather. my liver area hurt, and so did my right knee, but it got better as I progressed with walking. came back feeling much more positive, and had a post workout snack: 2 persimmons.. where's the protein?? as I write this my spinach frittata is cooking so that will be my breakfast (at 1pm!) btw I am really surprised how much fat is being recommended (and protein) in this program and I really cannot imagine losing weight. but that's not really my aim at all, I want my emotions to stabilize, to live coffee-free for 30 days and to see how that affects me when i reintroduce it. and for better digestion, and more (or some) radiance in my complexion. so yes I am not doing this correctly in that I might be eating more fruit than recommended. I need to learn to eat regular, sit down, meals. what times do you eat your meals?

I'm a late day starter so I usually eat around 8am, 1pm and 6pm or so. My workouts tend to be mixed in somewhere between  those hours or after dinner. 

11 hours ago, Raven said:

I'm so excited that we have a bunch of people on here for support!  Should we start a new November 1st, 2016 thread or stay in this one?

Hi Raven, I am starting another Whole30 for November as well. My first whole30 was in June before my Hawaii vacation, and my results were great. I lost 15 lbs, now I gained some of it back and wanted to do another whole30 again. This is my first time in the forum too.. I'm excited.. :) 

@SpiralUp  It's generally recommended to get four to five hours between meals and to eat when you're hungry.  Have you signed up for the Whole30 Daily e-mails?  There's so good info in there (which is also in It Starts With Food) about when to eat.  So, if it's been two or three hours since your Meal 1 and you're starving, eat something and next time play around with your portion sizes until you figure out what's gonna work for you.  :)

I'm starting a Whole 30 today, too! I've had enough of bad eating and feeling horrible and don't want to continue this way through the holidays. I'm going through hormonal shifts, allergy/asthma flare-ups, and the resulting moodiness, depression, weight gain. Time to hit the reset button and feel better. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, SpiralUp said:

Try having protein & fat pre-workout, and lean protein & starchy vegetables post workout. Think of it as an experiment for 30 days. If at the end of the month, you haven't noticed any changes, you can always go back to what you did before, but what if it turns out this works really well for you? You won't know unless you give it a try.

One of the thing that will happen during Whole30 is that you become fat adapted, so your body is able to more easily use fat for energy, instead of the more easily accessible carbs -- but if you give your body carbs before your workout, that isn't going to happen as quickly/easily.

Post-WO is for recovery -- lean protein to help muscle rebuilding, and optionally starchy vegetable to replace muscle glycogen. Have your post-WO as soon after your workout as you can. Don't include extra fat, because that slows down absorption and can cause you to miss the optimal window of time for the muscle repair post-WO. Having fruit rather than starchy vegetable post-WO will replenish liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen, and it's the muscle glycogen you want to replace after a workout. This article talks more about what to have post-WO.

Its 9:30pm here and I thinking about bed on day 1. It's been fine, but I now feel hungry and am reluctant to eat so late. I'm reading 'It starts with Food' and the message seems to be that eating late raises your cortisol levels and makes it harder to sleep. I'd be interested to hear what others think, I am quite prepared to believe I may have got it wrong! However, for tonight I will probably just go hungry and try and eat a bit more tomorrow. It's exciting thinking that the good stuff is already happening.

I started today too! I had a doctor's appointment that I needed to fast for, and it was already lunch time by the time I got out, so no breakfast this morning, I guess, haha. I made a salad with the ranch recipe from the Whole30 book and it was delicious! I have some chili from the book in the slow cooker right now too and it smells SOOO good! I guess you can say that the first day has gone by pretty well. I'm excited to get to know you all!

So I have done well all day. The early evening/evening is when I struggle. I didn't realize how often I was turning to food/sugar for help during this time. I LOVED iced coffee with cream and vanilla literally every afternoon, so even though I'm not having physical symptoms, mentally I'm struggling. Just looking for encouragement I guess.

I started today as well, probably my 6th time through this. I like how I feel when I eat this way and I'm sick of feeling so tired and grumpy (and achy too!) So, though I'm a little concerned about Thanksgiving, I just had to start again. This time with the guidance of "Food Freedom Forever" I'm hoping to make it a more lasting change.

6 minutes ago, Serik said:

I started today as well, probably my 6th time through this. I like how I feel when I eat this way and I'm sick of feeling so tired and grumpy (and achy too!) So, though I'm a little concerned about Thanksgiving, I just had to start again. This time with the guidance of "Food Freedom Forever" I'm hoping to make it a more lasting change.

I've done several W30s too and this time and only doing two (maybe three) weeks, as I was invited to Thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family.  Is this something that would be possible for you to do?  Or are you looking to do the full 30 days?

Archived