Looking for a support group!

Rockinred

Hello! I'm looking for support for my whole 30.  Anyone willing to join me and check in everyday or every other day.  Please join in the feed if you are starting tomorrow, October 15 or anywhere around that date.

I initially started on Oct 9 but made a few mistakes including getting carried away with the almond butter today.  I want to do it right so I'm starting over.  I signed up for the daily newsletter this time too.

Please join me!

Angie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day one done!

3 simple good size meals and a lot of black coffee and la croix.  

Hoping to do some meal prep for the week tomorrow and back off the caffeine slowly.

Goals for the 30 days include a jog/run 3x a week even if I only make it 5 min.  And some yoga 2x a week.  

That's awesome!! Here's to day 1 down!

It did feel deceptively easy today- wondering what things are going to look like during the work week :o  Any advice for meal prepping, Rockinred? While I always plan on doing it, am never sure where to start!

Goals for the 30 are spinning 45 min 3-4/week and trying to meditate for about 10 min every evening. And sleep. Sleep is good.

Ooo, coffee.  Coffee sounds nice.  I decided to give up caffeine during the Whole 30 because I believe it causes digestive problems for me.  Spent most of the day fighting caffeine headaches and drowsiness.

I plan to do a bit of meal planning/shopping/prep tomorrow as well. 

I started today too! This is my first time and today was pretty easy. I feel like I have been prepping food non-stop for the last 24 hours. Even in my dreams, I was cutting and cooking. I prepped some salmon, butternut squash, hard boiled eggs, raw veggie sticks and some cole slaw. I had the little egg muffins I saw on the Facebook page, some hard boiled eggs, the cilantro chicken wings with cole slaw ( cabbage, onion, apples fennel and a vinaigrette). I even ran about 3 miles. I was glad to find a support group. Good luck everyone!

Starting over today!  I finished a whole 30 in May 2016!  Never felt better so I decided to do another one.  Started earlier this week but was noncompliant yesterday, so......  I need this support to keep me on track.

Love our little support group.

Kallista, with meal prep I usually start with an egg frittata/casserole filled with veggie to eat for breakfast or lunch during the week.  Having something I can use for breakfast and lunch is key for me.  I hate being starving at work when everyone is eating yummy non whole30 foods.  I was also thinking a curry dish to have over cauliflower rice.  I usually make a huge pot and it lasts all week.

This buffalo chicken casserole is always a big hit with my family and a good backup that I'll probably prep for so I can make it quickly during the week.  http://livinglovingpaleo.com/2016/04/29/buffalo-chicken-breakfast-casserole/  I've got chicken in the crockpot with a jar of salsa.  I'll shredd that and use it for the casserole and save some and freeze for future casseroles.

I'll be chopping a lot today-- starting with onions now!

I'd love to hear from others about prepping.  

I made a great Turkey Veggie Hash. I am not good at cooking without recipes, but this turned out great! I started with olive oil, mustard seeds, celery seeds and fennel seeds and then added a TON of veggies (onion, garlic, serrano, fennel, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, radishes-all chopped really small), then added potato, butternut squash, turkey (leftover from when I roasted it two nights ago) mushrooms and spinach. I added a little salt and pepper and poached an egg. I was counting on leftover for tomorrow, but my husband liked it too and now it is gone:-(

I hope everyone is doing well. 

Day 2 was tough for me.  Caffeine withdrawal and carb flu hit me hard.  Made me question why I am even doing this.  I just kept reminding myself that the adjustment period is temporary.  Focus on making it one day at a time and remember all the positive things that will come from achieving this.  

I didn't get as much prep done as I'd hoped but I'm trying to tell myself that it's ok to take it easy on the days that I feel crappy and I'll be able to make up for it when I feel better.  I was able to get all the groceries I'll need for the week, so I at least am prepared to make healthy meals.

Excited about all the folks in our group and inspired by the prepping!

Don't know if it's the carb flu or the stomach bug going around, but def a bit queasy today and a little more achey. Drank a bunch of ginger kombucha and hoping it will pass. Also realized that the Sunday night blues are a major emotional eating trigger for me :/ Hoping to find other ways to deal with the stress of the weekend being over that don't involve overeating. 

@EmilyJR - sorry you also had a rough day 2! Are there any personal goals it would be helpful for us to remind you of when you're questioning?

Here's to day 2 down :)!

@Kallistathanks for asking :).  Personal goals include learning what has been causing digestive issues for me, getting control over my sugar cravings, and getting control over my weight gain (about 35 ibs in the last 2 years).

Wish there was something insightful I could share to help you with your Sunday night blues.  I tend to get those too, but my only solution outside eating is whining about Monday to my husband.

Hi Everyone,

Day 2 is done!  Tough day here.  I had brain fog and felt like I needed coffee all day.  I gave in and had more coffee with lunch but it didn't help.  Hoping I can sleep tonight.

I ate 3 meals and did some prep for the week.  I'll be waking up early tomorrow to make sure I have time for breakfast and to pack a lunch.  

Oh and speaking of food prep I food processed purple potatoes today and cauliflower so that will help for quick cooking sides or a hash for dinner during the week.

Went for a short slow jog today.  Gotta start somewhere.  I'm a former runner who hasn't run in two years.  

We can do this!  My hands hurt as I type this which is a good reminder of why I'm doing it.

Angie

Whew- day 3 almost done! Took ages to get out of bed and felt a bit more tired and draggy today, but overall ok. Had no appetite this morning and barely finished a hardboiled egg, then was ravenous by 6 when I got home, so hopefully that will level out! Can't say I've been in the greatest mood, but I guess that's also to be expected for day 3.

Hoping you all are doing well! And yay Angie for jogging! 

Day 3 done!  

Exhausted!  Sitting here drinking a la croix after dinner while my kids have Hagen Daz.  I need to pick up a nice after dinner tea and make that my new habit.

3 good meals today but no exercise.  I did a short meditation before starting my day.

My goal is to do another short jog or run  tomorrow morning.   

Kallista, I think I read in It Starts With Food that it's important to eat a good solid meal within an hour of waking to regulate leptin levels even if you're not hungry.  Maybe there's more information on that on the website about this.  I think it's a common problem in the beginning for some until your hormones level out.  Sorry, it's never fun to eat when you're not hungry.  

I hope you are all doing well and thank you for joining our support group. I really appreciate it!    All are welcome!

For those of you who struggled through Day 3, know there is hope!  I had a really bad Day 2 but already felt so much better today.  I still had brain fog and a little fatigue, but nothing like yesterday.  

Kallista, are you making sure that you have some good sources of carbs in your diet, such as fruits and starchy vegetables?  In my previous attempts to do the Whole 30 I completely lost my appetite.  I suspect it was because I was completely excluding those items.  This time around I'm attempting to include them with my meals, without going overboard of course.

Angie, It's good to take a day off when exhausted!  Just curious, was there a reason you stopped running?  I stopped running about 2 years ago as well and am considering getting back into it.

Hi Emily,

I had a stress fracture in my heal bone.  I started taking spin classes but then just stopped all activity.  There's nothing like running, especially outside.  I think it's good for my head.  I don't have big goals anymore and just want to move and be healthy.  

Why did you stop running?

take care and thanks for the positive feedback about your day.

angie

So glad I found this group. No one I know has even heard of the whole 30 so getting support here would be so helpful. I will officially start my whole 30 tomorrow but have been trying to slowly incorporate approved meals for the past week or so

Angie - I was running too many miles and had IT band issues.  I haven't been able to get into anything else since I quit and I do miss being outside, which is why I am considering getting back into it but not going overboard with the miles.

Thanks for the reminder that it gets better, Emily :)

And thanks Angie and Emily for the info about why my appetite is low in the am- I def haven't been doing much in the way of fruit/root veggies. Was also eating Paleo before starting this and only waking up with "bulletproof" tea (I quit caffeine a year ago) and intermittent fasting til noon, which seems to work way better for the boys in terms of body composition than it does for me :( Hopefully just getting back into the habit and upping my carbs will help! Grateful for the advice and support on here!

And welcome kboe!

Wrapping up Day 4.  I tend to experience anxiety when making major changes to my diet, so I didn't sleep great last night.  I was drowsy all day but surprisingly didn't feel tempted to drink caffeine or break the diet.  I'm sipping on some bone broth now hoping to get some better sleep tonight (I recently discovered one of the benefits of the gelatin in the broth is that it helps with sleep).

How's everybody else feeling?  @kboe how was your first day?

Archived