Looking for a support group!

Rockinred

I just finished my day 4 too! I was feeling amazing (clear headed, high energy, no real cravings) until about 6:00 tonight. I think I am just tired and waited a bit too long between meals. I knew I would not eat until late so after having lunch at noon, I had a hard-boiled egg at about 4. I have been drinking lots of water and sparking water with lemon seemed like quite the treat. Tonight after dinner I started to get a headache and felt very sleepy. Again, I might just be tired.

I had a few times today where it felt like I was having a hot flash. It can't be a "real" one as I am only 41, but it came on strong and quickly and nobody else was hot...weird!

Anyone else getting hot flashes?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for asking EmilyJR! My first day was harder than I thought it would be.  I had to go grocery shopping today and seeing things that I could not eat just made me want them more.  I also usually have a sweet carbonated drink everyday (sometimes a pop, sometimes an Izze).  That is what has been occupying my thoughts the last few hours.  Why is it that the second you can't have something is when you want it the most?!?!

Wendy W, I'm having the same hot flashes and I'm only 39.  Almost felt like I had taken a Niacin.  I figure it's our body either detoxing or just adusting.

I'm excited to start day 5.  I'm feeling good.  Feeling accomplished but also feeling like it could go downhill quickly if I don't keep the good meals coming.  

So funny you brought it up, Wendy W, I noticed having hot flashes too yesterday (I'm only 33) and was wondering if I had a fever! One of the pieces bringing me to Whole30 is hormonal imbalance, and I'm thinking that it's connected to our hormonal balance resetting as well (at least that's what I'm hoping :) )

Day 4 felt pretty doable, I definitely was a bit crankier yesterday and felt like I had a hair trigger, but from what I gather, that's to be expected.

Wishing you all good day 5s and 2s!

I am so glad to be able to read posts on days that I haven't had yet.  The information about the 'hot flashes' was so timely.  When it happened to me today I didn't stress out because of your comments on here.  It is also reassuring to hear that others also had/are having some issues with appetite.  Breakfast went fine today (I made some egg muffins that I can just reheat and leave quickly) but lunch was another story.  About halfway though my lunch I started to feel nauseous.  I made myself eat some more but could not finish it due to the nausea.  Then even seeing or smelling food made me feel close to vomiting.  I'll have to find something that I can stomach tonight for dinner.  I'm going to try to ate a fruit to my breakfast tomorrow and see if that helps.  I also had my egg muffins over a period of time, during a meeting, and probably need to eat them together so I have a better sense of my hunger cues because I wonder if I became overly hunger at lunch time.  I have a history of not feeling well/extreme nausea if I wait too long to eat so I need to be mindful of this in addition to the potential reduction in appetite as my body adjusts.  

@Rockinred Thanks for the suggestion of the sparkling water.  I bought some and it seems to be helping.  I just hope I can cut out or down that desire for something carbonated.  But baby steps, I need something to fill that void for now to make a 'slip' less likely to happen while my body craves sugar

@kboe My office had a mojito mixer here last night and I was so bummed that I couldn't participate, but then I realized that soda water is compliant so I just muddled the mint in my glass, squeezed fresh lime juice in, added ice and poured the soda water on top and it was so refreshing and delicious I didn't even miss the rum and sugar!

Way to go Rockinred!! You've totally got this.

I also had some major nausea this afternoon kboe :(  Once it passed I felt pretty good, but it was not a fun time. Also already noticing my pants feel tighter, which I know is to be expected and not an indicator that I'm gaining weight long term, but def frustrating. Proud to be done with day 5!

Hoping you all are doing well!!

@AlaskaCasey that 'cocktail' sounds delishious. Even just using mint leaves sounds good.  I will have to pick some up soon!

@Kallistai had some ginger for a future recipe. I ended cutting off a few thin slices and munching on those before I ate tonight and it seems to have helped some.  I've never had raw ginger before and it definitely had a bite to it.  If the nausea continues I will probably brew some ginger water or tea to have on hand.

I'm happy to hear that despite the issues people are having everyone is pushing through and onward.  So excited to be on this 'journey' with you all!

Day 6, done!

Trudging along.  It's not easy but I made it.  

I'm starting to think about Halloween.  How am I going to make it through.  I've binged on candy every Halloween my entire life.  I found the bar below that I'm thinking of using as my Halloween treat. What do you guys think?  Whole30?  I'll ask in the correct topic forum but thought I'd throw it to you guys first.  IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

Phew, day 6 almost done!

Feeling really bloated and heavy and wandered into work an hour late cause I couldn't get up, but proud I'm hanging in there! For those of you who have done this before, any advice on the bloating? I rarely eat nuts and don't think I'm eating anything new really, so not sure why I feel so heavy and like I've put on 10 lbs of water weight!

@kboe, thanks for the idea with the ginger! I'm gonna try that tomorrow and see if it doesn't jump start my digestion :)

@Rockinred, those bars are so good- I also love the coconut butter cups they make ! I imagine the argument would be that even if the ingredients are compliant it falls into the category of paleo pancakes, but way better than eating Halloween candy!

Hoping you've all been having good days 6/3!

On 10/19/2016 at 5:09 AM, Rockinred said:

Feeling accomplished but also feeling like it could go downhill quickly if I don't keep the good meals coming.  

Hi @Rockinred

I agree completely. Tonight's dinner was not very planned, but luckily I had a lot of leftover veggies in the fridge (slightly old/fermented cabbage and apple cole slaw, spaghetti squash, and spiralized zucchini) and some great spicy sausage from Natural Grocers that are Whole 30 compliant, so it came together alright. I have to admit the spaghetti and meatballs my kids and husband were eating looked pretty yummy!

I am glad to hear you are having the hot flash thing too. I hope it is just a good cleansing happening inside! I still feel great, have only had a few "kill all the things" moment and never feel like I am going to give up!  We shall see how day 7  goes tomorrow!

Good luck!:)

Day 6 was more of the same for me.  Still not sleeping great but making it through the day.  Although so far on Day 7 my brain is running extremely slow.

I'm a little nervous going into the weekend.  I'm afraid the cravings are going to catch up with me.  I usually have a glass of wine or cocktail on Friday night or Saturday to unwind from the week, and the lack of schedule usually translates into less mindful eating during the weekend.  On top of that, I have a family wedding to attend on Saturday.  I plan to eat before since I don't know what will be served and pack some snacks.  My family members are exactly ones to understand this type of thing, so I don't want to get stuck explaining why I'm not eating to them :unsure:.  My husband suggested that I keep it simple and just state that I'm following a meal plan so I ate beforehand.  Any other suggestions?

@Rockinred I have to agree with @Kallista.  While the ingredients are compliant I think it breaks the no paleo substitutes rule.

@Wendy W way to make it work even without the best planning!  

Day 7--- Really struggling.  Woke up at 5am and was off to a great start but hit a wall by 8am and took a nap. Crazy!  I'm sooo tired!  I was really hungry after my nap and decided it was going to be a 4 meal day instead of 3.  I was hoping that would keep me from treats.  My third meal included some macadamia nuts and I got carried away.  Not good.  I need to keep it to the closed handful recommended by whole30 and I ate two open hand FULLS.  I'm currently making a huge pot of curry  and cauliflower rice to get me through the weekend.  I hope to get in my pjs and brush my teath as soon as dinners over to prevent me from eating.  Also, I may try and go to bed at 9pm as clearly I need more sleep.  I'll be dreaming of chocolate tonight!!!!

I am really enjoying all of the posts and I'm just so thankful to all of you for your support.  We can do this! 

@Rockinred Totally understand the tiredness.  I have always struggled with feelings or exhaustion and low energy but yesterday I took 2 naps and still slept soundly through the night.  

Today has been better in the nausea but very little is appealing to me food-wise.  The only things that sound acceptable are bland foods, shredded chicken and potatoes, and fruit.  That is a far cry from what the template recommends.  I know I need to be more mindful of having fat at every meal and non-starchy veggies.  I hope what appeals to me expands to its usual again soon but for the meantime I am going to focus on getting protein and fat at every meal and add veggies as my stomach permits.  Does it make sense to have at least a little serving of veggies on my plate and see while I'm eating if I can stomach it?  Any bland veggies that I might be thinking about that someone could recommend?

@EmilyJR I'll be thinking of you at your wedding tomorrow.  I think what your husband suggested sounds perfect.  I usual say I'm doing a food thing and can only eat specific things and people usually accept that at face value as well.  Good luck!!

@kboe, I'm so sorry you're still having nausea.  That really must me aweful.  I'm so proud of you for continuing and powering through.  What about cauliflower rice?  If you cook it well it honestly is just like having rice.  It's amazing and my kids always think it's rice!

@EmilyJR, I plan on saying I'm working closely with my doctor on an anti inflammatory diet... If I through "doctor" in there I'm hoping people will leave me alone.

And I broke my Whole30 last night in my dreams not by chocolate but PB and crackers!  It was such a relief to wake up and know it was just a dream and that I made it to week 2!

One perk of eating well is sleeping so soundly that I actually gave dreams. :)

@EmilyJR- hoping the wedding goes well, I agree that your plan sounds like a good one!

@kboe- when I've been feeling nauseous veggies with a little sweetness seem to taste better, like sweet potatoes, baby carrots steamed/raw, butternut squash. Broccoli with ghee has also seemed to be okay, not sure why.

@Rockinred- that is an awesome dream- did you at least enjoy them :) ? 

Feeling pretty frustrated the last two days- very, very tired (I'm installed on my couch today and don't see that changing!) and just heavy feeling. Trying to remind myself that this means my body is resetting and adapting and that it's getting me closer to my goals of losing this stubborn 15 lbs and rebalancing my hormones, but just feel pretty low right now :mellow: 

Made it through day 5.  Its amazing the old habits that can sneak up on me.  All too often at work when we had marshmallows I would sneak a few for my sweet tooth.  I bought s'more supplies (for work) and while putting them away caught myself reaching for the package.  I had to remind myself that that is definitely not okay for me to eat them.  My boyfriend made me feel so much better tonight when he said that soon I will not even want the marshmallows or pop, etc. and the thought of it will turn me off.

Hope everyone was successful today, especially considering it is a day off for most people.

I started last Thursday, so am on day 4.  I've been working on losing weight and just started with a personal trainer to get things moving faster.  She challenged me to do Whole 30 and so here I am.  Enjoying it so far and had steak and eggs with spinach this morning for breakfast.  Yummm.

@Kallista, how are you feeling today?  Maybe a day on the couch was just what you needed.

@kboe, I can't wait for the days when we don't want treats.  I set up a reception for work last night and the smell of the brownies was just irresistible.

@EmilyJR, how'd did the wedding go?

@Wendy W and @AlaskaCasey how's it going?

I'm thrilled to make it to day 9!  I'm struggling staying away from nut butters.  I may need to just ditch them for the rest of my Whole30.

Tuesday the 25th will be a week for me and I'm doing really well. I've been "chatting" with Customer Support but I decided to give them a break and see if I can get my answers here.  

I've made quite a few od the recipes and used "4 servings".  There are only two of us but I wanted leftovers.  I'm doing this for 2 reasons.  I'm 60 (a mentally young 60 :)).  I want to feel better and lose weight.  I don't see W30 as a weight loss program but it helps me to cut down on eating all day.  

Having said that, there are a few things that I just don't get.  The biggest issue I have is vegetables.  Why aren't vegetables in the Food Group choices?  This isn't explained anywhere and I would think it's one of the most important issues.  I printed out all the "resources" but they listed veggies that are acceptable to W30 but I don't see anywhere that I can include them in my Meal Planner.  I only see ways to exclude items.  I know that by using the Meal Planner I would get a variety of recipes with veggies but there are some I'm not crazy about.  If I dried to "exlude" any it would take me forever since I would have to enter all veggies the eliminate certain ones in each individual variety.  So that's not going to happen.  

Can someone answer this or help me with this?

sfzak 

Archived