Starting Today--Oct. 20

Otonya

Hi, Otonya--

I'm starting today, too!

I'm very excited but also a little nervous: I'm bipolar, and I experienced a major depressive episode last year that came on during an attempt at adopting a Paleo diet. It was most likely just a coincidence, but I'm doing Whole30 while under my therapist's and psychiatrist's watchful eyes, just in case.

Good luck to you!

Best,
Megan

Thank you, bev-o! I appreciate the prayers. And anap, I love the idea of cheering each other on!

My first day was a breeze. I felt great that I started something so positive for my health and that I had so many good food options. Then this morning I woke up with a blazing headache. I'm hoping my morning coffee--minus the usual milk--will make it go away. But it's probably sugar withdrawal. Sigh. At least I timed this right: just have to slog through a lighter work day on a Friday, then I have the weekend to tough the withdrawal out.

I'd love to hear how others who started yesterday are doing!

Best,
Megan

Hi All,

I started on 10/19 so I am on Day 3.  I was planning on starting next week but then my husband had to go out of town so I decided to start early since it is easier to be compliant when I don't have to think about him.  So far everything has been easy with no issues and I feel completely normal.  I can already tell that being prepared is the only option in order to succeed.  I haven't cleaned out my pantry or fridge because I do have three boys and a husband who would not be ok with me getting rid of their typical foods.  My temptations for cheating will be wine, cream for my coffee, and ice cream.  I normally drink wine while I cook so I have used my wine glass with Kombucha, it is working great so far. It isn't going to take me long to get tired of washing so many dishes and always prepping food though.  I am excited to start this and thanks for hearing my thoughts on this journey!!!

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Meegly said:

Hi, Otonya--

I'm starting today, too!

I'm very excited but also a little nervous: I'm bipolar, and I experienced a major depressive episode last year that came on during an attempt at adopting a Paleo diet. It was most likely just a coincidence, but I'm doing Whole30 while under my therapist's and psychiatrist's watchful eyes, just in case.

Good luck to you!

Best,
Megan

Hi, Megan.  Something you might want to keep in mind -- people prone to depression or anxiety often need more starchy vegetables than the usual one fist-sized serving a day we recommend for most people. Also be sure you're eating enough fat. Also try to include foods that are higher in tryptophan or serotonin, like oily fish, turkey, mushrooms, walnuts, bananas, pineapples, liver and red meat.

Additionally, getting out in the sunshine, getting some exercise, even just light exercise like walking or gentle yoga, and getting good sleep can help. 

39 minutes ago, Weathek said:

My temptations for cheating will be wine, cream for my coffee, and ice cream.

Hi, @Weathek--

I'm right there with you on these temptations! Great idea about drinking compliant beverages out of your wine glass. I've never tried Kombucha, but I'm thinking sparkling water with lemon and/or mint might do the trick for me.

I, too, am unable to do a full pantry cleanse/revamp. My boyfriend would have absolutely nothing to eat if I did. I have made sure I don't have any of my personal triggers in the house, though: no chocolate, no ice cream, no cookies or other carb-laden treats.

Good luck on your journey!

Best,
Megan

@ShannonM816--

Thank you so much for those tips on doing Whole30 while battling anxiety and/or depression! I will certainly keep them in mind as I progress. I have additionally committed to doing at least 10 minutes of physical activity per day to start with: a walk around the block or gentle yoga stretches, for now. It's great to have the benefit of your experience as a moderator on this subject!

Best,
Megan

Hi All, 

My boyfriend and I started the Whole 30 this past Monday, Oct 17.  I was nervous about meal planning/preparing and could only carve out meals for Monday and Tuesday. This is all a little overwhelming for me - the planning and preparing. I did, however, purchase an immersion blender and made the mayo (tuna on romaine for lunch)... it was like magic to see it form! Very exciting! lol 

One of the BIG reasons I am doing the program is to put an end to this overall tiredness I experience, gain energy and have a brighter, happier mood. I also want to slay the Sugar Dragon - I've been riding on it's back on my entire life. The other trigger I will have is wine, craft beer, cheese, and potato chips. So far I am doing good tho. I seem to be satisfied (and busy) enough that I don't have any overwhelmingly strong cravings.

I'd love to continue to hear how everyone is faring. Keep in touch!

Day one went pretty well for me, but I'm definitely feeling tired and head-achy today--I'm sure it's withdrawals from sugar! The meal prep has actually been easier for me, though, since I'm already used to cooking most of our meals from scratch and recently discontinued a year-long vegan diet (which required a LOT of food prep). It's much easier to fry up a little piece of meat and steam some vegetables than to make veggie burgers or homemade bread or so many other things I've been in the habit of spending time on. :) My weaknesses are more associated with times of day, when I'm more likely to want to "binge"--like when the kids go down for naps or in the evenings when I just want some comfort food after a long day. Last night, I was really struggling, so I finally pulled a hard-boiled egg out of the fridge. That did the trick! I was amazed how, after eating that protein boost, I stopped craving something sweet.

Nanette is great to hear you are doing good since you are ahead of us, wich mayo recipe dido you do? Im trying to do the one that is on the webcite but it has mustar powder and i couldn't find here where i live so i would have to omit it, hopw it still works ! 

Otonya i get you on your wanna binge moments, i had kinda healthy pancake cravings on monday before starting whole30 but didnt eat any, and today my mom made some for dinner and it was really hard for me not to want some ... but i had some zucchini spaghetti and baked d salmon with tahini and olive oil. 

Good morning! My wife and I also started Thursday 10/20.  So far so good.  Did a BIG shop Friday night.. Great time to shop for groceries.. :) My fridge is transformed.  Not really missing anything yet but I'm sure that will come. Tried Kumbacha for the first time while at work yesterday and loved that. The ginger is yummy..  Can't wait to make my own mayo..  Good luck everyone!

I also started on October 20, just an arbitrary date, but was sick of being sick. I'm struggling with bronchitis so food just doesn't taste right. I love wine and cheese and just returned from wine country ( I joined a wine and cheese club) so the next month will be interesting. Staring Day three today; Wish me luck. 

My headache is definitely less present this morning, but it is still there. I felt like a truck had run me over between 2 and 5 yesterday afternoon between the headache and body aches, so I went for a walk and had a little unsweetened black iced tea, which helped. I went out for tapas with family last night and had a great meal. I'd checked out the menu online ahead of time to make sure there were compliant options for me, and there were several, so aside from not ordering a glass of wine, I didn't have to make many adjustments. Funny thing: I'm craving salad and fruit right now. The fruit--with its fructose--I understand. But I'm surprised to already be gravitating toward vegetables, too. Gonna grill at home tonight, using a chicken breast brining technique from the Well-Fed cookbook by Melissa Joulwan, which contains some awesome Whole30 compliant recipes. Then I'll do my weekly meal prep tomorrow. Keep up the good work, everyone! We got this.

5 hours ago, mjcaron said:

Good morning! My wife and I also started Thursday 10/20.  So far so good.  Did a BIG shop Friday night.. Great time to shop for groceries.. :) My fridge is transformed.  Not really missing anything yet but I'm sure that will come. Tried Kumbacha for the first time while at work yesterday and loved that. The ginger is yummy..  Can't wait to make my own mayo..  Good luck everyone!

@mjcaron, ginger kombucha sounds delicious! Thanks for the tip--I'm going to pick some up today when I do my big shop.

20 hours ago, nanette09 said:

Hi All, 

My boyfriend and I started the Whole 30 this past Monday, Oct 17.  I was nervous about meal planning/preparing and could only carve out meals for Monday and Tuesday. This is all a little overwhelming for me - the planning and preparing. I did, however, purchase an immersion blender and made the mayo (tuna on romaine for lunch)... it was like magic to see it form! Very exciting! lol 

One of the BIG reasons I am doing the program is to put an end to this overall tiredness I experience, gain energy and have a brighter, happier mood. I also want to slay the Sugar Dragon - I've been riding on it's back on my entire life. The other trigger I will have is wine, craft beer, cheese, and potato chips. So far I am doing good tho. I seem to be satisfied (and busy) enough that I don't have any overwhelmingly strong cravings.

I'd love to continue to hear how everyone is faring. Keep in touch!

@nanette09--

I hear you about the Sugar Dragon. I've gone sugarfree a couple of times in my adult life, for periods ranging between 8 weeks and 5 months. I feel so much better when I'm not overindulging in sugar, but I always fall back into my old abusive habits eventually in times of stress or boredom. That's why I've dedicated myself to Whole30 this time: I'm really looking forward to resetting my tastes and appetites.

Best,
Megan

Good morning everyone! 

Reading all your posts keep me motivated, today i had scambled eggs with tarragon and smoked paprika 1/2 an avocado and a small plate of some papaya,grapes and blueberries! 

How was breakfast for everyone! 

Its ok to combine different fruits right? As long as its a serving like in tota? 

I am pleased to report that I managed to stay compliant yesterday, despite having to eat two meals out with visiting family. I had chicken lettuce wraps for lunch at a Chinese place, and fresh broiled ono, garlicky spinach, and steamed cauliflower for dinner at a local seafood restaurant. No more headaches or body aches at present, and really no sugar cravings to speak of right now. Whew!

I've started today off right with scrambled eggs and fruit salad. I plan to do a major Whole30 meal prep this afternoon while doing other chores and otherwise relaxing. We ran around so much yesterday, between doing errands and sightseeing, that I really need the rest.

How is everyone else doing?

I'm just sitting down to enjoy a nice bowl of borscht, left over from last night's dinner. So good! Yes, the headaches and cravings seem to be much more manageable today. It was a bit difficult at church, seeing all the coffee and treats laid out, but I stuck with apple slices and tea--and am no worse for the wear!

Julie, I love the idea of sautéed turnips--I never would have thought of that--turnips are something that I usually never prepare, but I'm going get some when I go shopping this week!

Hey everyone! 

Yesterday had dinner out and also stayed compliant with a raw shrimp cucumber lemon and chili salad that we have here in mexico that is called aguachile, and also ate a bit of roasted shredded pork meat with some guac.

today i woke up  and had scrambled eggs with a side of mixed fruit plate,im a bit anxious today and my meal portions have been a bit bigger than what the template suggests and i also had a snack (this is the first day i snack since we started) and had more fruit with my lunch, i feel guilty of knowing i ate more fruit and a snack. 

Has anyone bought costcos smoked pulled pork? Does that count as processed food eventhough its compliant? Is it ok to buy frozen fish at Costo? Also the  kirkland signature canned tuna has no soy but has sodium phosphate and conservatives is it compliant? Im getting confused with canned and frozen foods, are they ok eventhough they are prepacked? 

Does anyone know if pork meat is limited or should not be eaten more than twice a week or something? 

Hope everyone have a great sunday! 

On 10/22/2016 at 0:54 AM, anap said:

Nanette is great to hear you are doing good since you are ahead of us, wich mayo recipe dido you do? Im trying to do the one that is on the webcite but it has mustar powder and i couldn't find here where i live so i would have to omit it, hopw it still works ! 

Hi anap!

I used this one from Stay Fit Mom

http://www.stayfitmom.com/homemade-mayo/

But it does have mustard powder in it too.  : (

Did you try it without? How did it turn out? I honestly never would have guessed that that would be an ingredient, lol!

Hope all else is going well for you!

Nanette

Hi All!

How is everyone doing? Week two is upon us! Yay!

Unfortunately I had a slip-up, and I am starting over. My bf brought home a can of nuts during the week, and without even thinking, I started eating a few here and there. It never dawned on me to look at the label until Sat morning. I found they had peanut oil in them!  : (  So bummed!!! I had been being so careful about reading labels all week! Even though I only had a few, I want to do this right, so I will just add 5 days to the end. Not so bad. So today is my new Day 3 (this can get confusing! lol).

Otherwise, I am doing well staying on track. I feel less hungry in between meals - which means I must be eating enough, finally. I do need to increase my veggies on my plate. I've been making a breakfast bake on Sunday's for the week - or half the week, as there are two of us eating it. I just throw in whatever veggies I have on hand in with the eggs (10) and bake it @ 350 for 1/2 hour. It's nice to have it ready to grab when I am running out the door to work. For lunch I either have leftover dinner from the previous night, or have been making tuna salad with mayo and a chopped apple or lettuce wraps with compliant deli turkey and roast beef. I add carrot sticks, avocado, olives, my homemade mayo or vinaigrette, plus some fruit on the side. We have been making a variety of dinners with chicken, salmon or pork and veggies of course. So far, so good. I still have a craving for something sweet after I eat tho. Hope that goes away with time. I've taken to drinking the rooibos tea that is recommended after dinner.  And since I've been spending so much more time in the kitchen, it takes my mind off wine - which is another craving. I'm hoping not to go back to the habit of having a glass with dinner every night. I feel soooo much better being totally alcohol free!

Hope everyone is doing well! Keep posting - I love hearing about your journeys!

Nanette

Archived