Starting Today--Oct. 20

Otonya

On 10/22/2016 at 8:46 AM, Kikibeck said:

I also started on October 20, just an arbitrary date, but was sick of being sick. I'm struggling with bronchitis so food just doesn't taste right. I love wine and cheese and just returned from wine country ( I joined a wine and cheese club) so the next month will be interesting. Staring Day three today; Wish me luck. 

Hi Kikibeck,

I love wine and cheese too! I'm finding my morning throat congestion that I have had, seems to be gone now. I'm wondering if it was the cheese I always ate? Will be interesting to find out when I reintroduce it next month!

Good luck... stay strong! 

Nanette

Nanette--Thank you for the mayo recipe and for the great idea about the breakfast bake! I think I'll have to try that, since my husband is trying to join me in this venture, but is having trouble figuring out what to eat for breakfast before he leaves for work (early).

I had a neat realization last night! One of the reasons I began the Whole 30 was because I injured my foot over the summer and it has been slow to heal. I thought I'd see if this diet change would reduce the inflammation and promote healing. As I was lying in bed, I realized that the pain in my foot was almost entirely gone. Also, a shoulder that has been painful to sleep on for ages (maybe years) was no longer hurting! So it really does seem to be making a difference. :)

I can also feel the extra flab around my middle starting to firm up a bit. I'm so addicted to stepping on the scale every morning that I'm really having a hard time not sneaking a peek!

I made some almond/sunflower seed butter. I've found that, when I really want an after-dinner treat, a spoonful of that with half a slice apple does the trick!

Otonya

Good morning, all--

Just sitting here enjoying your posts along with a cup of black coffee and reflecting on my progress thus far. I am definitely much less bloated than usual. The waistband of my "fat pants" was still loose last night, even after dinner (compliant meat loaf with compliant mashed potatoes and compliant roast Brussel sprouts with bacon). That NEVER happens. But this Whole30 isn't just about weight loss or how clothes fit for me.

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease plus liver cysts in April. My doctor told me to clean up my diet so that the condition doesn't degenerate into cirrhosis. I was suitably scared. Yet six months later, I was still eating like a six year-old and drinking like a fish. I had a follow-up ultrasound late last month, and while my cysts haven't grown, they haven't shrunk either. They still cause me some back pain, and I feel fatigued all the time. I knew I had to do something to reset my system.

As a person living with bipolar disorder, I'm not able to eliminate all of the chemicals I ingest. I still have to take some pretty heavy-duty medications to keep my mood stable, one of which is known to increase blood sugar and visceral fat. But I can reduce all other sources of potentially harmful substances, and surely that will make a difference in my overall health.

Thanks for posting your own stories and experiences. The support really helps!

Best,
Megan

30 minutes ago, Otonya said:

I made some almond/sunflower seed butter. I've found that, when I really want an after-dinner treat, a spoonful of that with half a slice apple does the trick!

That's awesome about your pain relief, @Otonya! And I, too, have found that the almond butter/apple combo is my saving grace right now. It really squashes the need for something on the sweet side after dinner.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Meegly said:

@Otonya! And I, too, have found that the almond butter/apple combo is my saving grace right now. It really squashes the need for something on the sweet side after dinner.

Hi @Meegly and @Otonya - using nuts/nut butters and fruits to "squash" the need for something sweet is doing exactly the opposite of what you are hoping for. If you are hoping to get to the other side of Whole30 and not have sugar/sweet cravings after meals, you need to stop eating sweets after meals. Using apples and almond butter just props those cravings up rather than eliminating them and teaching your brain/body to move past that habit of wanting sweets. If you absolutely cannot move past without eating something, go for the opposite of sweet. Use olives (briney, salty, not sweet at all) or guacamole or a hard boiled egg. Fat is your friend here and no, nut butter doesn't count. It's sweeter and carbier than people give it credit for. 

15 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @Meegly and @Otonya - using nuts/nut butters and fruits to "squash" the need for something sweet is doing exactly the opposite of what you are hoping for. If you are hoping to get to the other side of Whole30 and not have sugar/sweet cravings after meals, you need to stop eating sweets after meals. Using apples and almond butter just props those cravings up rather than eliminating them and teaching your brain/body to move past that habit of wanting sweets. If you absolutely cannot move past without eating something, go for the opposite of sweet. Use olives (briney, salty, not sweet at all) or guacamole or a hard boiled egg. Fat is your friend here and no, nut butter doesn't count. It's sweeter and carbier than people give it credit for. 

Ah, I see, @ladyshanny - I'll up my fat intake if I encounter this situation going forward. I'm hard-boiling some eggs right now. I haven't been indulging in fruit too much, for the very reason you mention: it's too sweet. I've been concentrating on increasing my vegetable intake. Thank you for the wise words!

It's Day 2 of my not propping up cravings for sweets with fruit, and I feel great! I'm less fatigued and better able to focus. In fact, I got more done today than I did most of last week put together. I plan to take advantage of my renewed energy to do some yoga when I get home from work tonight in order to begin reintroducing my body to beneficial movement.

I thought I'd be bored with my "restricted" food choices by now, but instead I see so many possibilities and compliant recipes to try. I receive a Community Supported Agriculture box each Wednesday, and I can't wait to see what's in it this week so I can plan menus around that fresh produce.

Hope you're all feeling the improvements by now, as well!

Best,
Megan

That so encouraging, Megan! I think yesterday was actually my hardest day so far. Despite making good choices, I was ravenously hungry all day long and craving sweets more than I had before. It was tough. I was also super tired. I even had dreams last night about binging on all sorts of non-compliant foods and ditching the Whole30 all together! (Don't worry, I'm not planning to do that.) It's still early, but I'm feeling better about things today. I hope that continues. :) 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Meegly said:

It's Day 2 of my not propping up cravings for sweets with fruit, and I feel great! I'm less fatigued and better able to focus.

Well done, @Meegly! This is delightful news! And after only 2 days of not feeding those cravings you're seeing great benefits! Good for you. Could you have guessed that the fruit, in the manner you were using it, was holding you back in such a way? Good job.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Otonya said:

That so encouraging, Megan! I think yesterday was actually my hardest day so far. Despite making good choices, I was ravenously hungry all day long and craving sweets more than I had before. It was tough. I was also super tired. I even had dreams last night about binging on all sorts of non-compliant foods and ditching the Whole30 all together! (Don't worry, I'm not planning to do that.) It's still early, but I'm feeling better about things today. I hope that continues. :) 

Hi @Otonya - although making good choices is a huge part of the battle, you could be making those choices and still experience ravenous hunger and cravings all day if you aren't eating enough. Could you give a run-down of what you've been eating over the last few days? You should never be horribly hungry on Whole30, we want you to eat the amount of food you need to make it comfortably 4-5 hours between meals. Ravenous hunger shouldn't ever appear. Under-eating, not eating enough fat, not drinking enough water, lack of adequate and quality sleep can all contribute to ferocious sweets cravings. Let's take a look and see if you can make some tweaks to start feeling better. If you are undereating, even at just one meal each day, because nutrition is cummulative, you may just be starting to see the results of that now.

Hang in there, @Otonya. My first four days were pretty difficult. I wasn't feeling hungry or deprived, but I was NOT in a sociable mood.

Today, I've noticed that I'm feeling calmer than I have in quite a while, probably due to a combination of not being on the sugar rollercoaster, and because my clear-headedness and energy are making it so much easier for me to knock out my to-do list.

I am getting pretty tired of eggs, though. I'm going to look on Pinterest for some alternate compliant breakfast ideas this evening.

I worked from home yesterday, so I had the time to really exploit my CSA box's rich autumn bounty. I made a Whole30 recipe for dinner: roasted vegetable hash with chicken-apple sausage. It was absolutely delicious and very satisfying. I believe I'll eat the leftovers for breakfast this morning.

I'm still feeling pretty even-keel in the mood and energy department. I also squeezed some gentle yoga in last night, which helped unfurl my spine. My back was seriously compressed and creaky from sitting so much during the day (I have a standing desk at the office, but I work at my kitchen table if I work from home).

It's been raining most of this week in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm grateful for the precipitation, but I'd love to get out on the land for a good long walk or hike this weekend. We'll see if the forecast proves true. If it does, looks as if I'll be exercising indoors on Sunday.

Any updates from fellow October 20th starters?

Hi there! Sorry I've been silent for so long--life has been overwhelming the past few days!!! I'm generally feeling better, with fewer cravings. I think the advice re: undereating was probably spot-on. I homeschool three young children. Some days, I'm so focused on them that I forget (or simply don't have time) to feed myself--until I suddenly realized that I'm famished! I'm trying to be more intentional about having prepared foods in the fridge for myself, since my go-to quick, emergency snack has typically been a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.

I have been dreaming of bread. Two nights in a row. Sounds crazy, I know! Especially since, during my waking hours, I am not actively craving it . I'm neither hungry, nor feeling deprived in any way. But my subconscious keeps on throwing bread up there for me to wrestle with while I'm asleep.

I had a great weekend. Lots of cooking at home. I did not do my usual pre-prep and planning for this week, though, because I suspect I'm going to be working late most nights and will be ordering dinner through the office meal service. That makes staying compliant a little trickier, but certainly not impossible. There tends to be a wide range of choices on the menu.

My energy is still pretty high, and my mood is quite steady. Again, I got a lot done over the last few days. I'm loving this improvement!

Hi all..wifey and I are still going strong.. Our energy, mood and sleep have all improved.  We got a little bored with our food by end of last week so I finally broke down and made the basic mayo AND the tarter.. OMG!  I am in love with pickles and dill on salmon (the tarter)..  My mayo did not have the exact consistency that is should but that did not matter..  The sauces are where it's at people!! lol..:))

Halfway there! I have been struggling the past couple of days with keeping my veg portions up, though. I attribute this in part to my professional life being super-stressful at the moment. The company I work for was acquired by a larger one this week, breeding so much uncertainty, sadness, and anger. But I stayed strong: no booze, no chocolate, no cheese, despite emotionally craving all of it! Before beginning the resetting process via Whole30, I absolutely would have drowned my sorrows in food and drink. But no way am I going to throw away the hard-won gains of clearer thinking and higher energy--not when I so desperately need both right now.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend of delicious compliant meals and prep for next week.

@MeeglyGood for you--you must feel very proud of yourself for doing so well, despite circumstances!!! This week has been easier for me--I feel like I'm settling more into the routine preparing and enjoying compliant meals. I even made it through trick-or-treating with the kids without cheating! ;) (My husband and I usually have a huge binge every Halloween.)

Thanks for the support, @Otonya. It means a lot to me. And congrats on making it through Halloween! I usually do a candy binge then, too, but I'm off that sugar cycle with this Whole30. I'm even being super-selective about what fruit I'll eat now.

I had a good, solid weekend after a difficult Friday. With all the tension in the office, I had to white-knuckle it through lunch and happy hour. Things are looking as if they're going to shake out in my company's favor, though, so the stress should calm down. Just got to buckle down on a minor release due this week, and a major project due December 8th.

These days, there are a lot of eggs, roast or grilled chicken, oily fish, and raw veggies on my plate, with small portions of fruit and nuts to liven things up. And @mjcaron, you are so right: sauces are where it's at! I had shrimp last night with a no-sugar, compliant version of cocktail sauce, and it was incredibly satisfying.

Have a great week, all!
Megan

On 10/31/2016 at 11:39 AM, Meegly said:

I have been dreaming of bread. Two nights in a row. Sounds crazy, I know! Especially since, during my waking hours, I am not actively craving it . I'm neither hungry, nor feeling deprived in any way. But my subconscious keeps on throwing bread up there for me to wrestle with while I'm asleep.

I had a great weekend. Lots of cooking at home. I did not do my usual pre-prep and planning for this week, though, because I suspect I'm going to be working late most nights and will be ordering dinner through the office meal service. That makes staying compliant a little trickier, but certainly not impossible. There tends to be a wide range of choices on the menu.

My energy is still pretty high, and my mood is quite steady. Again, I got a lot done over the last few days. I'm loving this improvement!

If you read in the book, dreaming about food is right on schedule!  I caught a wicked "bagel" thought the other day as I drove past the best bagel place in town.  It surprised me because I've actually been (surprisingly) fine without it now (I'm on Day 15, so a couple days ahead).

Only 5 days left. We have felt so much better on the program. Definitely considering long term changes in the foods we eat, the amount of sugar in our lives, and the alcohol free weekends. Looking forward to a little chocolate though. Not gonna lie.. Hope everyone is well.. :) 

Hi everyone! I just wanted to check back in, now that our Whole30 is officially completed. I'm interested to hear anyone else's results, also. For me, I've enjoyed eating a simpler, more balanced diet. I really never felt "deprived," although I honestly never stopped thinking about or wishing for sweets. However, last night I decided to eat a few pieces of Halloween candy that I had hidden away for after the 30 days--I know that's bad, but I'm being honest, here--and the thing that amazed me was that, after the first bite, I really didn't enjoy them that much! Furthermore, I have a slight headache today. I know there will probably be a few "special" treats over the holidays, but my goal is to keep those to a minimum and maintain the sugar-free lifestyle, even if I do introduce some of the other foods back into my diet. So, for the stats (I'm attaching before and after pictures): I lost 9.1 lbs. and my husband lost almost 13 lbs.! I also lost 2-1/2 inches from my waist, 1-1/2 from my chest, and 1 from my thighs. My clothes are fitting noticeably more comfortably. I still have about 25 more pounds to lose, but I'm so encouraged and excited to continue! Thank you, all, for your feedback and support during this past month. Otonya

profile whole30 1.JPG

profile whole30 2.JPG

Otonya that's amazing.  Thanks for sharing.  Yes, the sweets are hard to monitor. I had some white chocolate and a little cheesecake for the first time yesterday. It tasted amazing to me.  We love our new life style. I just need to find some more interesting recipes.  My wife Kathy lost 11 pounds!! She's VERY pleased and likes this new way of eating because there is no counting calories.  We still have not brought ANY bread back. We think we might never bring bread back.  We did have some pasta but that's because we are on vacation and found ourselves after a long day of travel with friends who wanted italian.  Also had some wine the other day. Are you planning to eliminate anything forever? 

Congratulations to you and your wife on your success! Sugar is the main one I'm planning to keep out of the picture (although I'm sure there will be occasional exceptions). I'm also planning to dramatically reduce the amount of wheat we eat--although probably not eliminate it altogether--try to eat only sprouted wheat or sourdough when we do eat it. I'm so glad that my husband is supportive, and the kids are finding ways to enjoy it, also, so I do have the family on board with me. :) to

Archived