Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

My name is Cristina, I am a nurse and I am looking forward to starting whole30. I love real food, but like many I also love the occasional cheeseburger and pizza! I need and look forward to balance. Some challenges I foresee would be related to my career (12 hour shifts with or without time to actually eat, rotating day/night shifts etc.), and how this might affect my whole30. I'd love to hear how others are doing on their whole30 journey! 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cristina, wow that does sound like quite the challenge! Can you put some of the recommended snack bars or jerky strip in your pocket to munch on when you don't get an actual meal break? 

I am starting on Monday as well! This will be my third time committing to this program.  I have been planning my meals and getting my grocery list ready for shopping tomorrow.  I will be spending some time tomorrow prepping food as much as I can.  I think Sunday food prep is going to by my key to success.

Starting 10/24 as well (tomorrow!)  What have you done to prepare?  How/where do we start a support group?  

Going through cabinets now.  Not going to be able to banish/toss food, but am sequestering it - lol.  My goal is less to minimize temptation (famous last words) but more to have a clearer space where everything I see can be brought into my eating world.  I'll leave a couple of cabinets with "their" stuff, then everything else intermingled (flours, beans, processed foods, etc.) that I would normally be the one preparing meals with I'm putting in the basement.  

Just got the book on Friday, so have been speed reading all weekend.  I also looked up a bunch of stuff prior to getting the book and have been cleaning up all week (the fridge, cabinets, shopping for whole food, thank goodness I've still got some fabulous fresh produce growing in my yard, which will be a help).  Up to Your Whole Plate in the book.    Oh, and hopefully have cleared the decks for the upcoming week from extra-curriculars so I have a little extra time to reflect, sleep, and in general limit the potential distractions.   

Hello all.  

Like Beth, I'm a repeat guest.  I've done a few Whole30s and some shorter versions in the past few years.

Like Christina, I'm a nurse working 12 hour shifts.  Good news is....I don't start until November 7th, so I've got a couple of weeks to get into the program and stock my freezer so I'm prepared once I start working.  I'll be on days for 5 weeks and then I'll go to overnights.

@habanero, this is our support group!  We can use this thread to post daily and encourage and support each other.  Up at the top of the page, there is an option to "follow" this thread.  If you click on that, it's easy to find and you'll get an email update as often as you'd like.

I shopped today and have already started cooking so will be ready to go tomorrow morning.  I also made mayo, which I seem to each much more of when I'm doing a Whole30. 

Good Luck everyone.  

I'd love to join in.  I need all the support I can get!  I am officially on my first day today, so the 24th will be day 2 for me...

I tend to do OK the first few days, and then old habits kick in.  My biggest struggle are evenings. Getting home from work, getting the kids (and myself dinner), and then homework, and putting the kids to bed is exhausting!  And, I've turned to sweets as a "reward" after the kids go to bed.  

I like that this program will force me to find a healthy alternative, rather than allowing sweets in "small portions" or sweet substitutions.

Good luck everyone, I'd love to check back frequently and share our progress and get support.  I think we chose an awesome time to do this program- right before Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday free for all :) 

31 minutes ago, havingfun said:

My biggest struggle are evenings. Getting home from work, getting the kids (and myself dinner), and then homework, and putting the kids to bed is exhausting!  And, I've turned to sweets as a "reward" after the kids go to bed.  

I second Beth's tea idea.  I also love the plain flavor of Natural Calm.  Create a new evening ritual that doesn't involve sweets. 

Hi, everyone.  Glad to see everyone here.  I start tomorrow.  I still need to plan the details of my meals for the next few days, but I have a lot of the stuff on hand.  I made the fritatta, a batch of mayo (holy moses!  why did I never do this before?  it's amazing) which I put into a can of tuna with some celery and onion, and have some salmon defrosting for dinner tomorrow.  Over the weekend I roasted everything in sight (onion, cauliflower, potato, brussels sprouts) so I have a good selection of cooked veggies to pull from.  So I at least feel I have tomorrow covered.  

I'm really looking forward to this!  I did something similar several years ago and felt great, then have gotten back into sloppy habits.  

I will tell you what I did for night eating when I did this type of "health kick" before.  Go to bed!  Do the absolute minimum you need to do to wrap up your day, then climb into bed right after the kids are in.  Double bonus is extra/better sleep.  

I would like to join your group, as well, if that's okay.  I completed one Whole30 last spring.  I stayed to much of the plan until mid summer, and then completely went back to old habits.  I am miserable again, but haven't been able to re-start and stick to the plan.  I have severe reflux which was alleviated by the Whole 30, so I know much of the issue is the food I choose to eat.  I have such an emotional attachment to food. I wish following Whole30 was a simple choice, but the struggle is real.   I can't wait to start feeling better.

I'm in my mid-forties. I am an oncology social worker/supervisor of a Cancer Center.  My desire is not so much weight loss, although that is a perk, but to improve my health and how I feel about myself.

Hi my name is Marissa!

I am starting my first whole30 tomorrow, and I am so excited to feel better! I am a dancer and my digestive system has been a wreck for most of my life as I've tried to heal it by cutting out gluten and dairy. 

I'm pumped to try something new, and I can't wait to start with all of you tomorrow!

Thanks for the night time snack tips, ladies!  I do drink tea, and have even found that decaf coffee works better (more soothing, but still doesn't keep me awake). I also find myself going to bed earlier.  But, I don't know about you, but these things are easier said than done when it's been  really stressful day.  I have a list of things to do instead of snacking and that has helped some too...

Anyway, good luck ladies!  

Hi I'm Erin. This is my first Whole 30. Today is day 1. I'm sitting hear eating my breakfast and reading the forums. My husband is actually doing it with me which is great. I guess my kids will be doing it too since they eat what we eat at home. They are 1 and 3 and I'm sure they will be fine with it. 

Im nervous but excited. I've always been a carb girl. I've finally lost the baby weight and I'm looking to possibly lose a couple more but more than that I want to feel better. I know some of it is having two small children but I feel sluggish all the time. I've been thinking about doing this for awhile and today is day one. Good luck everyone. 

Hi all! Glad to join this Day 1 crew.  I'm Maggie and this is technically my first Whole 30, although I've utilized some of the principles here and there before.  Two weeks after being married this summer, my husband and I moved to a new city/state and began new jobs and a degree.  I was in a really good healthy eating/workout routine before that, but have been in a rut in the transition that I can't seem to get out of.  Looking forward to this reset and this community!

Happy Day 1 everyone!  Welcome to all the new posters.

On past Whole30s in the forums, people have posted what they've eaten or what they plan to eat.  This helps [me] with accountability and I like seeing what other people are eating....sometimes I get an idea I'd like to incorporate.

Here's my plan for the day:

Breakfast:  2 eggs (3-4 can fit in my hand, but didn't have the appetite this morning), sauteed zucchini, magic mushroom seasoning from NomNom Paleo, coconut oil, banana, black coffee

Lunch:  Deconstructed gyro salad from Well Fed 2, grapes

Dinner:  Chicken Nanking from Well Fed 2

Workout:  Orange Theory Fitness (It's day 1 of Hell Week, which may be especially tough given it's day 1 of Whole30, but I'm gonna try.)

Have a great day.

My plan probably isn't as solid as it should be, but here's what I have:

B: spinach fritatta, apple, jasmine tea

L: tuna salad with mayo (holy crow - that mayo recipe!) over a pile'o'greenery and veggies, pear or orange

D: salmon, probably baked, with roasted veggies

Workout:  I'm in super-wimp stage, so I did a good stretch routine this morning (yoga-ish) and am planning to walk up to the supermarket during lunch break to pick up lemon, lime and avocado.  It isn't too far away and I feel like this might be a way for me to get in a little exercise and fresh air, and help keep stuff around for next day's meals.  

I will be shopping, cooking, and preparing more tonight for the rest of the week, but here's my Day 1:

B: hard boiled egg, banana, coffee w/ coconut milk

L: harvest salad + apple

D: paleo chili (pinterest find/Whole30 compliant)

Workout: I also do OTF, @snowflower! Saturday was an OTF power day & Sunday was a 90 minute shakti-shiva yoga class, so today is an off day w/ a 30 minute walk.  GL, everyone!

Hi everyone! I'm another repeat W30er, though I'm hoping this will be my last. I've been reading Food Freedom Forever and was debating whether I really needed to do a W30 reset...but the answer was yes, definitely.

My husband is supportive, though I don't think he means to do a true Whole30.

For breakfast, I had sauteed sweet potatoes with ground beef topped with mayo. One of my struggles is getting enough protein for breakfast now that I've had to cut out eggs (I was eating 3-4 eggs a day, and my body decided to rebel a little; I still eat them on occasion but not daily). I think I need to pick up some more ground beef so that my husband and I can both have an appropriate portion.

Lunch will be tuna salad, 2 hard boiled eggs, and carrot and celery sticks.

Dinner tonight is a crockpot meal, a chili verde.

Looking forward to following along with y'all!

Happy day 1! 

My plan for the day-

Breakfast: Chicken sausage, spinach, 1/2 avocado, banana, chai tea (protein in breakfast is tough for me because I don't eat eggs, I'm usually an oatmeal or chia pudding girl)

Lunch: Mexican chicken soup with compliant bone broth, salad 

Dinner: Ground beef, pepper, onion, zuchini, sweet potato skillet 

Hi all, 

I have stopped and started a bunch of times and I'm so tired of it. I really want to complete a whole 30 prior to the holidays. Like many, I have weight to lose and I lose it and gain it back frequently. I have a number of "dragons" that I want to slay for good. I'm hoping that if I get on here and actually have support and provide support, things will go smoother. So today is day 1. 

Breakfast: Coffee with Nutpods and Meatballs (sick of eggs...) 

Lunch: Asian Chicken Salad from Real Plans 

Dinner: Rotisserie style slow cooker chicken and cauli rice 

Hi all!  My name is Debbie, I'm an engineer and a fitness instructor :).  Starting today, I'm really excited (haven't gotten to the freaked out point yet, I'm sure that's coming).  Lots of tummy issues, I've been off gluten and dairy for 4 or 5 months, but I need a reset.  

I would love to join a support group too for the October 24th crew!  Thanks.

I love the idea of posting meals! Let's post workouts too! :)

Quick question: has anyone found a good coffee milk substitute?  I have only about 2 tablespoons of milk with my coffee each morning, and I am REALLY missing it!  I've tried almost milk, coconut, and cashew milk. I'm hoping maybe there is a particularly brand/version which will give my coffee the creaminess I'm missing... anyone??

Meals:

B: egg, spinach, 1/2 a banana (IS THIS banana ALLOWED??, Ahh!)

L: cabbage unroll ups, roasted squash

D: salmon, sweet potato fritters, roasted squash

Exercise: cycle.  I really wish we had Orange Theory in our town! 

Good Morning everyone!

My name is Alice and today is day one for me.  Last night I prepped everything, so I am ready to go today.  I had been a vegan in the past, for several years, and felt great, but I started eating poorly after rotator cuff surgery 3 years ago, and bread is my worst enemy.  Tried unsuccessfully to do it on my own.  A few friends from work were doing the Whole30 so I decided to look into it.  I usually do pretty good staying on track once I have a game plan, which Whole 30 provides.  Looking forward to going through this journey with you.

I use the Whole 30 approved Hazlenut Nutpods. I get them in packs of 12 from Amazon and it's not sweet at all (no sugar) but it's creamy which I like. :-) 

Workout... NTC from the app.

I love the idea of posting meals! Let's post workouts too! :)

Quick question: has anyone found a good coffee milk substitute?  I have only about 2 tablespoons of milk with my coffee each morning, and I am REALLY missing it!  I've tried almost milk, coconut, and cashew milk. I'm hoping maybe there is a particularly brand/version which will give my coffee the creaminess I'm missing... anyone??

Meals:

B: egg, spinach, 1/2 a banana (IS THIS banana ALLOWED??, Ahh!)

L: cabbage unroll ups, roasted squash

D: salmon, sweet potato fritters, roasted squash

Exercise: cycle.  I really wish we had Orange Theory in our town! 

Archived