Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

So as I had mentioned above, I don't like eggs, is anyone else in a similar boat or just burned out on eggs? What do you eat for breakfast to get protein in? I know there are plenty of options to have meat for breakfast but I am interested to hear what others might be doing. I love chia pudding but know that is out. 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CristinaV said:

Happy day 1! 

My plan for the day-

Breakfast: Chicken sausage, spinach, 1/2 avocado, banana, chai tea (protein in breakfast is tough for me because I don't eat eggs, I'm usually an oatmeal or chia pudding girl)

Lunch: Mexican chicken soup with compliant bone broth, salad 

Dinner: Ground beef, pepper, onion, zuchini, sweet potato skillet 

What kind of chicken sausage did you use? I went to trader joe's yesterday and this my first time trying to do the Whole30. I was sad to see when I got home that "dextrose" is not allowed in the Whole30 and was included in the chicken sausage I bought. I was having a hard time finding sausage without a bunch of ingredients.  Now my morning egg muffins are not completely compliant that I made for the next few days.

13 hours ago, DebC72 said:

I would like to join your group, as well, if that's okay.  I completed one Whole30 last spring.  I stayed to much of the plan until mid summer, and then completely went back to old habits.  I am miserable again, but haven't been able to re-start and stick to the plan.  I have severe reflux which was alleviated by the Whole 30, so I know much of the issue is the food I choose to eat.  I have such an emotional attachment to food. I wish following Whole30 was a simple choice, but the struggle is real.   I can't wait to start feeling better.

I'm in my mid-forties. I am an oncology social worker/supervisor of a Cancer Center.  My desire is not so much weight loss, although that is a perk, but to improve my health and how I feel about myself.

Same here, DebC72!

I finished my first in September, and like you said, I'm miserable again. The struggle IS real.

I am ready to give it another go.

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting day one today as well and VERY green and new with WHOLE30, but I did read "It starts with food" to get an idea of how it all works. 

B: Egg muffins with chicken sausage, spinach, red pepper, green onion and salt/pepper. (I was sad to see when I got home that the sausage had dextrose listed that I got from trader joe's).  And Strawberries

L: Still undecided - but I brought basically breakfast again in case I can't find something compliant. My plan was to eat dinner leftovers for the program, but forgot on day 1 I wouldn't have any dinner leftovers.

D: Chicken Fajita Bowl (from http://thenourishinghome.com/) Whole30 compliant

Exercsise: Crossfit

Good luck, Everyone!!!

My name is  Laura, and I'm starting my second Whole30 today.

I finished my first in September, and I've let some old binge-eating habits creep back in. I am so annoyed.

I'm here to give and get support from fellow Whole30ers! We can do this!!

My plan:

B: lean beef, onions, bell pepper, potato, spinach sauté

L: tuna/celery/onion/grape/almond/whole30 mayo/lemon salad; apple; carrots and guac

D: salmon; roasted sweet potatoes and apples; sautéd squash

Workout: Off day.

Hope you all have a great day! Let's do this!

26 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

What kind of chicken sausage did you use? I went to trader joe's yesterday and this my first time trying to do the Whole30. I was sad to see when I got home that "dextrose" is not allowed in the Whole30 and was included in the chicken sausage I bought. I was having a hard time finding sausage without a bunch of ingredients.  Now my morning egg muffins are not completely compliant that I made for the next few days.

I think Aidel's has some compliant chicken sausages? I used Nature's Place from Hannaford (which is I believe only in New England). Ingredients:  SKINLESS CHICKEN, WATER, RED AND GREEN PEPPERS, SEA SALT, PAPRIKA, FENNEL SEED, PEPPER AND ONION.

Most sausage is not compliant, either due to sugar, MSG, or starches. 

I know I've bought compliant Italian sausage at Trader Joe's, and Aidell's chicken and apple sausage is compliant (disclaimer: please read all labels every time in case something changes). I've never seen any other sausage that's compliant. You can always mix up your own, with seasonings and ground meat.

@CristinaV I used ground beef in my breakfast hash today. I used to eat eggs every morning, but my body started throwing a hissy fit, so now I only eat them every so often. I just use ground meat in my hash, and I think I may make salmon cakes next week for breakfasts.

For y'all who are working out, are you getting in your pre and post workout meals?

1 hour ago, CristinaV said:

So as I had mentioned above, I don't like eggs, is anyone else in a similar boat or just burned out on eggs? What do you eat for breakfast to get protein in? I know there are plenty of options to have meat for breakfast but I am interested to hear what others might be doing. I love chia pudding but know that is out. 

I love salmon cakes for breakfast.  I've made the ones from ISWF and from Well Fed....they are both great.

I also love soup for breakfast.  If your soup doesn't have any protein in it, you can put anything you've got on hand in it.  I like ground beef/pork/turkey or sliced chicken or turkey best.

Do you like canned sardines or mackerel?  These are quick additions to a cup of soup or cooked veggies.  (Though I don't like these IN my soup.  I eat them on the side.)

I started today as well.  I'm a nurse but I work 9 hour shifts.  I had spinach frittata and black coffee for breakfast. A salad of greens, turkey, olives, avacado, tomato, and carrots and a 1/2 apple for lunch.  Pork Carnitas snd cauliflower rice for supper. I'm lucky because I have several coworkers starting today.

Hi friends!

I'd like to jump in as well. This will be my third Whole30 in about 2 years, so I'm familiar but out of practice. A summer and fall of too much work travel has left me feeling a bit out of control and guilty about my eating habits. I'm in my 30's now, and in my 20's I suffered from digestive issue and PCOS. Since I started eating in a more paleo way around the age of 30, both of these health problems have largely vanished. I'm doing another Whole30 now to rein my choices back in, make sure my health stays good, and hopefully drop a couple of pounds. 

I think my biggest challenges are going to be staying compliant while I continue to travel for work, and resisting my boyfriend's influence when it comes to eating habits. He is generally a pretty healthy eater, but he doesn't avoid grains and he also does a fair share of the cooking. There are going to be meals where I have to either ask for modifications or do my own thing. 

I hope everyone is having a great first day!

This is actually day 2 for me because Sunday worked better as a start day, but can I still join you all? I have recruited my husband to do the Whole30 with me and my toddler eats what we eat other than his daycare meals, so I have been able to remove most temptation from the cabinets successfully. I did a bit of meal prep for the week yesterday (made mayo, baked a couple pounds of chicken to freeze and have on hand for salads, baked some "hard boiled" eggs to have on hand) and am feeling good and on track for the week so far other than a raging headache. I'm guessing it's caffeine withdrawal because I usually drink a good bit of caffeinated soda. Here are my plans from yesterday and today:

(Sunday)

B: black coffee, sautéed spinach with fried eggs, salsa, and guacamole

L:  Romaine salad with chopped red bell peppers and Tessemaes Lemon Garlic dressing (NOT a fan of this dressing :()

D: Roasted chicken, brussel sprouts, red potatoes, and carrots

Workout: 2 mile evening walk.

(Today)

B: 2 mini spinach and egg frittatas (muffin sized), banana

L: Leftover roasted chicken and veggies, unsweetened applesauce

D: Pork and pineapple stirfry with broccoli and caulirice

Workout: 2 mile walk/jog before dinner.

Hi everyone. My name is Zina. I'm just starting  today too. It's round 2 for me after a month off. My husband and I at in this together. My first whole30 I made a lot of mistakes. I'm back this time to conquer it for the whole 30 days. No pun intended. Happy to see so many others on here. 

I'm a flight attendant so i can use all the support I can get when I'm flying. It's definitely a challenge but I'm determined to make this work.

I'd like to join in on this thread. :) I will be starting my W30 tomorrow, 10/25, so will be a day behind everyone. I was going to start today, but this past weekend we had some unexpected hick-ups that did not allow me to meal prep as I needed. No worries, once started I will NOT fall off the wagon!

This will be my 2nd round and I look forward to the amazing feeling and SLEEP the first round gave me. I am also looking to do the reintros properly this time. Last time we had a trip and several special occasions that didn't make reintros easy. 

Looking forward to taking this journey with you all! 

I gotta be honest. I'm struggling without my morning coconut milk hot chocolate drink. And actually, I'd always get a 16oz and drink it throughout the day to enjoy and reheat it several times.  I'm having tea, but...blah! It's not the same.  I know this will take time to get over. I didn't realize HOW addicted I was.  A couple years ago I quit coffee for other health reasons (which did not help), so I'm wondering if I might want to try going back to coffee.  I just wish I didn't need that hot sweet drink all the time. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, havingfun said:

I love the idea of posting meals! Let's post workouts too! :)

Quick question: has anyone found a good coffee milk substitute?  I have only about 2 tablespoons of milk with my coffee each morning, and I am REALLY missing it!  I've tried almost milk, coconut, and cashew milk. I'm hoping maybe there is a particularly brand/version which will give my coffee the creaminess I'm missing... anyone??

Meals:

B: egg, spinach, 1/2 a banana (IS THIS banana ALLOWED??, Ahh!)

L: cabbage unroll ups, roasted squash

D: salmon, sweet potato fritters, roasted squash

Exercise: cycle.  I really wish we had Orange Theory in our town! 

The banana is "allowed" because it's a piece of fruit and fruits are permitted on this plan. However, you shouldn't be eating any fruit until you have satisfied the meal template for 1-3 cups of veggies. Spinach amounts to next to nothing once cooked or chewed. You really need some sturdier cooked veggies with your breakfast before the fruit shows up. Also, make sure you are adding fat to every meal, I don't see it listed at all.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, snowflower said:

Happy Day 1 everyone!  Welcome to all the new posters.

On past Whole30s in the forums, people have posted what they've eaten or what they plan to eat.  This helps [me] with accountability and I like seeing what other people are eating....sometimes I get an idea I'd like to incorporate.

Here's my plan for the day:

Breakfast:  2 eggs (3-4 can fit in my hand, but didn't have the appetite this morning), sauteed zucchini, magic mushroom seasoning from NomNom Paleo, coconut oil, banana, black coffee

Lunch:  Deconstructed gyro salad from Well Fed 2, grapes

Dinner:  Chicken Nanking from Well Fed 2

Workout:  Orange Theory Fitness (It's day 1 of Hell Week, which may be especially tough given it's day 1 of Whole30, but I'm gonna try.)

Have a great day.

Hi @snowflower - just a recommendation to prioritize protein, veggies and fat at your breakfast. If you had a smaller appetite, add the other eggs and skip the banana. ;) 

Also for you, make sure that you are adding a pre and post workout meal every time you do OTF.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

I gotta be honest. I'm struggling without my morning coconut milk hot chocolate drink. And actually, I'd always get a 16oz and drink it throughout the day to enjoy and reheat it several times.  I'm having tea, but...blah! It's not the same.  I know this will take time to get over. I didn't realize HOW addicted I was.  A couple years ago I quit coffee for other health reasons (which did not help), so I'm wondering if I might want to try going back to coffee.  I just wish I didn't need that hot sweet drink all the time. 

If you're already off the coffee, I would really try not to go back to it as an everyday thing. You can, there's nothing about Whole30 that says you can't have it, but why not just work on finding other, more healthy ways to get something warm most mornings and limit the coffee to an occasional thing?

There are different teas, it might be that you need to try some different options to find one you really like. I like Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange or Good Earth's Sweet & Spicy but there are plenty of other options, just read the ingredients and make sure everything's compliant. Or you could try sipping broth or a blended vegetable soup. Or, it wouldn't be anything like sweetened hot chocolate, but something like Crio Bru or Choffy. (These are not sweet, they're just plain, unsweetened cocoa brewed like a cup of coffee).

• Administrators
8 hours ago, maggie_h said:

I will be shopping, cooking, and preparing more tonight for the rest of the week, but here's my Day 1:

B: hard boiled egg, banana, coffee w/ coconut milk

L: harvest salad + apple

D: paleo chili (pinterest find/Whole30 compliant)

Workout: I also do OTF, @snowflower! Saturday was an OTF power day & Sunday was a 90 minute shakti-shiva yoga class, so today is an off day w/ a 30 minute walk.  GL, everyone!

Hi @maggie_h - you are not eating enough, my dear. Eggs as protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping. For even the smallest of humans, that starts at 3-4. Add veggies (1-3 cups cooked) before you hit the fruit. If you are eating salad as a meal, it needs to be huge. Think: mixing bowl huge. And then add 1-3 cups of cooked veggies. If you are just having salad greens, they munch down to nearly nothing. I'm not sure what "harvest salad" is but you should be adding fat and protein as well. 

You need pre and post workout foods also when you are doing OTF or a 90 minute yoga class. Preworkout is protein and fat and post workout is lean protein and a starchy veggie.

1 hour ago, FightingHashi said:

I gave up coffee several years ago (it was hard, partly because it was a ritual with my fella) and I learned I really hate black tea, but there are so many teas for any mood you have!  I would try a wide variety and not buy a box until you find something you like.  In the morning I love a green jasmine (but there are a bunch of green jasmines I don't care for) or a gunpowder green or rooibos.  There are a bunch that are sweeter (but that is just me because I'm not a sugar person, so something like cinnamon or peppermint tastes sweet to me).  Then a lot of fruity flavors and mixes.  

I had started to go back to coffee (again, that ritual) but am definitely back to my tea.  

Yup, started today too! Did a Whole30 this summer with my husband and a friend but friend flacked out half way through and husband complained the whole time- was a hard and frustrating experience. Doing it again but this time with others, like yourselves, who can hopefully provide more support. Blessings!!!!

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you're already off the coffee, I would really try not to go back to it as an everyday thing. You can, there's nothing about Whole30 that says you can't have it, but why not just work on finding other, more healthy ways to get something warm most mornings and limit the coffee to an occasional thing?

There are different teas, it might be that you need to try some different options to find one you really like. I like Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange or Good Earth's Sweet & Spicy but there are plenty of other options, just read the ingredients and make sure everything's compliant. Or you could try sipping broth or a blended vegetable soup. Or, it wouldn't be anything like sweetened hot chocolate, but something like Crio Bru or Choffy. (These are not sweet, they're just plain, unsweetened cocoa brewed like a cup of coffee).

That's funny you mention because I was going to go to the store tonight to try to find the Tazo Wild Sweet orange. Had it on a flight last week and really liked it.  I know this will take time :)  Thank you!

Hi all - I am starting my whole 30 program today as well. Thank you for this forum and welcome support and input.  My first time doing this program. A bit nervous but very committed and hoping to get the sugar-detox-hangover out of my system soon...

:)

Hi All,

I've attempted the Whole30 a number of times and am determined to do this. So I hope that joining you all will be the key. I always do well the first few days and then it seems like all I can think about it bread after that! I really want to do this. Not only for me, but for my family as well. When I eat well, my family eats well. I see most of you had your first day today, but I'm hoping to join you all a day late. So my first day will be October 25th. Hope you all had a great first Whole30 day today!

Archived