Day 3 of my first Whole30

Sherrph

Hi everyone,

I started my first Whole30 on Saturday, 10-22-16. I prepared for the whole week before by doing lots of reading and writing my goals. I even took the dreaded before pictures.

i was getting ready to prepare my first whole30 breakfast and my husband surprised me with "I'm going to support you by eating what you eat."

There went all of my planned leftovers as lunches! However, we've had a lot of fun preparing and cooking meals together this past weekend. Pretty good for 32 years of marriage. :-)

I'm a little worried about today. It is going to be a long one. However, I know I can get through it.

I am enjoying reading of the journeys of my fellow travelers. 

Enjoy your day,

Sherri

Hi Sherri, 

I started on the same day as you!  Yesterday I felt a little headachy but today it's gone.  The afternoons have been the most challenging for me.  I agree that today feels like it might be a long one.  I can't wait to have a week under my belt.  

Just wanted to say good job!  

Jodi 

Hi Jodi,

Day 3 ended up with most of the day feeling nauseous. And I *did* want a nap! However, I stuck with my planned food and soldiered on. 

Did your day 3  go as you thought it would?

Now, onto day 4! We'll be at a week before we know it!

Sherri

Hi Sherri - 

Made it through Day 3!  I had some pumpkin carving with the kids to distract me through the afternoon which was helpful.  My husband grilled a steak for dinner and it was awesome and I somehow managed to ignore the yummy smelling mac and cheese from his plate :). 

This morning I didn't feel great - kinda weird in a bad way.  But then I had some coffee and breakfast and suddenly I felt really, really good.  Right now I'm cooking some sweet potato soup. I'm not hungry at all but feel like I will be soon and then will need something to eat.  I'm also going to try and get some exercise this afternoon. 

How is your Day 4 going? Still feeling nauseous? 

Jodi 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, HLD said:

I started on Sunday so today is day 3.  Huge headache this morning and felt exhausted, but not horrible.  My biggest hurdle is I hate to cook. HATE HATE HATE times infinity.

It may be helpful to change your mindset around cooking.  Hate Hate Hate times infinity is a LOT of negative power that you're putting into this time... what if you changed that to 'I'm going to learn a new way to take care of myself' or 'This is a chance to learn a new skill that I used to not enjoy'.  You can dislike it... there are a lot of things that adults have to do that we don't particularly relish but try and put a positive spin on it because this program IS tough and you don't need the extra bad vibes that come from all the hate you're putting on cooking (which is a way we nourish our bodies).  Just my two cents :)

3 hours ago, Jodes said:

My husband grilled a steak for dinner and it was awesome and I somehow managed to ignore the yummy smelling mac and cheese from his plate :). 

This morning I didn't feel great - kinda weird in a bad way.  But then I had some coffee and breakfast and suddenly I felt really, really good.  Right now I'm cooking some sweet potato soup. I'm not hungry at all but feel like I will

How is your Day 4 going? Still feeling nauseous? 

Jodi 

Grilled steak! So simple and so delicious! And hunger (true hunger) is the best sauce! Good job on ignoring the Mac n cheese!

No more nausea today but as I sat down to eat my breakfast, I acknowledged that I didn't feel hungry. Then I dug deeper and realized that I just didn't want that nutritional breakfast. I wanted my old bread-heavy breakfast. I just don't want the consequences of that breakfast. After my little mind games, I moved on and enjoyed the satisfying meal. 

I'm grateful! I haven't been ravenous. I used to want supper as soon as I got home from work. Today we had it 3'hours later and I was fine with that.

Did you do some fun pumpkin carving?

Sherri

17 hours ago, Sherrph said:

Grilled steak! So simple and so delicious! And hunger (true hunger) is the best sauce! Good job on ignoring the Mac n cheese!

No more nausea today but as I sat down to eat my breakfast, I acknowledged that I didn't feel hungry. Then I dug deeper and realized that I just didn't want that nutritional breakfast. I wanted my old bread-heavy breakfast. I just don't want the consequences of that breakfast. After my little mind games, I moved on and enjoyed the satisfying meal. 

I'm grateful! I haven't been ravenous. I used to want supper as soon as I got home from work. Today we had it 3'hours later and I was fine with that.

Did you do some fun pumpkin carving?

Sherri

Way to go on breakfast!  This hunger thing - or, not really being hungry, maybe a bit unsatisfied w/o the sugar and carbs, is funny.  It's crazy how addicted my body has become to sugar and carbs.  I had no idea it was this bad!  

I made the sweet potato soup yesterday from the book and it was really, really good. I had a little panic last night because I realized I don't really have the next few days planned out that well for menu.  I mean, there is always a good salad + meat and veggies but I want to try some more of the recipes and that takes a little more planning.  

Have you tried any recipes that you really like? 

Yes on pumpkin carving fun!  A Halloween cat and a dragon.  So fun!  Do you guys do anything for Halloween? 

Yes, to the recipes! I've done the basic mayo (I've) never made my own mayo before. Then the ranch dressing. Chicken sausage patties which were really good. And some others but I've been branching out so now I'm not sure whether it was Internet or the books or the website. I have my own lovely cucumber soup recipe that I'm sure I can make whole30. I also found a 'breakfast salad' idea (I'm not used to veggies in the am!) that featured cherry tomatoes, avocado, eggs, sausage, etc and was delicious. 

I agree: planning is crucial. Even if the meal is simple, I need to know that I have a plan! I don't want to leave it up to my tricky mind.

OMG do we do it up for Halloween. Our kids are grown but we get about 300 or more trick-or-treaters so we've got lights, inflatables and other decorations. The kids love it and the parents thank us for the display!

On 10/25/2016 at 6:42 PM, HLD said:

I started on Sunday so today is day 3.  Huge headache this morning and felt exhausted, but not horrible.  My biggest hurdle is I hate to cook. HATE HATE HATE times infinity.

I have learned to outsource things I hate to do.  Perhaps you can find someone or someplace who will do it for you?  

Middle of day 4 and I'm feeling LOUSY.  Really nauseous.  Big headache last night/smaller one today.   Glad to see it's not uncommon and yes, I've read the book and the description of some of the potential side effects and stages but it sure seems counterintuitive to feel so bad if I'm eliminating the unhealthy foods... hopefully I can soldier on.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laura E said:

Middle of day 4 and I'm feeling LOUSY.  Really nauseous.  Big headache last night/smaller one today.   Glad to see it's not uncommon and yes, I've read the book and the description of some of the potential side effects and stages but it sure seems counterintuitive to feel so bad if I'm eliminating the unhealthy foods... hopefully I can soldier on.

A thing that was really strange to me when I first started Whole30 was that my hunger would sometimes present as feeling a little queasy/nauseated. It meant I didn't want to eat, but when I'd think about it and realize how long it had been since I had eaten and just make myself have something, I'd feel better.

I don't know that that's what's going on for you, but it's a possibility, especially if you aren't eating enough at meals, which is something we see new people do a lot, especially if they've come from a background of restricting calories or fat or whatever. When you eat, be sure you're eating 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand); 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, half to a whole avocado, half a can of coconut milk, or a small handful of seeds or nuts); and then fill the plate with vegetables -- we often say 1-3 cups, but really, it should be closer to three cups at your meals, and more if you're depending on raw leafy greens, which tend to break down to nothing as you eat.

A couple of other things that can affect the headaches -- be sure you're drinking plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz), and be sure you're salting your food.

Hi everyone, I started last Friday Oct 21 so today is Day 8 for me. 

Yesterday was the hardest day. I remembered at some point that MAYBE my self-loathing and feelings of complete despair had something to do with the fact that I was 7 days into a radical diet overhaul, and that maybe I could cut myself a break,  that these thoughts had no basis in reality, that I was simply experiencing sugar withdrawal? 

Breakfast was rushed because I was running late for an appointment; luckily I had prepared some to-go food the night before. 

B: 2 hard boiled eggs, a few bites of a sweet potato, and chopped raw red bell pepper. (I was about to make Kitchen Sink Scramble but realized I didn't have enough time.)

L: Leftover Braised Brisket with sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots and celery (the celery was my addition to the recipe in the book).

D: Spinach and mushroom omelette cooked in ghee, sweet potato, mineola orange. 

Huh. I ate a lot of sweet potato yesterday. 

The first few days were a breeze, other than the amount of time that it takes for me to prepare and cook everything that I eat has taken over my life. I've lost weight, my skin is clearer, food tastes incredible, and I think my sleep is better every night since I started. But my emotions these past few days have been almost intolerable. I went food shopping 2 days ago at the wrong store where they didn't have many of the items I needed, and I felt like I could have a tantrum right there in the store. Then yesterday I drove into New York City for a 15 minute audition, parking cost $42 for 36 minutes, and then the drive back took about 2 hours due to rush hour traffic and heavy rain. Luckily I was too tired to have road rage, but I think I may have given myself new grooves in my forehead from frowning so hard. I was on my way to a meeting, and at least I had the wisdom to pack my Whole30 dinner with me so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat the cheese and crackers at the meeting. 

I hope today will be easier.

I was on another forum but there were too many people on it to keep up and they had started a few days after me. I like this one because it's smaller and you're all closer to the same start date as me. 

Dara,

i can identify with your feeling like the amount of prep time for good wholesome food has taken over your life. I started on a weekend so I could have some time to cook up some dishes. 

This weekend I'm stressing a bit because I have to work the weekend and I won't have that luxury. ACK!

Also, I could easily have a tantrum in the grocery store. I live in a rural area and the grocery stores just don't have some of the ingredients I see in nice-looking recipes. My husband and I are talking about going on a 'date' to the nearest 'Whole Foods' which is about an hour away. Boy! Do we know how to live it up.

Anyway, one day at a time for me and it is good for me to read the rest of you. 

Sherri

Hey, thanks you guys! @Jodes was today better? In some ways, yes. But I'm still experiencing really strong emotions I'm not used to. Especially anger. I guess this is a lot like withdrawal from alcohol or drugs. The weird thing is, I'm not tempted to eat sugary foods. Nope. I just feel like I'm going crazy! Thanks for your support, it really helps. I did make it through another day, even if it ended in tears. At least I stayed on the plan. @Sherrph oh man, I feel your pain about the grocery store. Go ahead, live it up with your husband at the Whole Foods. It could be like Vegas. What happens in Whole Foods, stays in Whole Foods? Yes, one day at a time. Good luck with this weekend, I know that's an extra challenge not having that time to prep. You can do it! 

Tonight I made the perfect baked salmon and topped it with some pesto. I also made the broccoli, mushroom,  and yellow squash side dish, topped that with roasted red pepper sauce. Honestly, it was so delicious, it snapped me out of my anger fog. But then I had to wash dishes for what felt like an hour. Oh, well. It's worth it. Right? RIGHT???

@Dara R with you on the strong emotions.  Had to take on a tough conversation with DH last night and started crying and kept thinking WTH??? but in the long run it was good to get it out and I think we made progress, so that is a win in my book.  Hoping that's it for the waterworks, though.  

Salmon with pesto sounds great and I happen to have some of both in my kitchen.

I'm with you too on field trip to Whole Foods!  Ours is just under an hour away, and here they call it Whole Paycheck, and we don't go often at all, but it is like a trip to the museum and I always wind up spending a bunch.  But at least I buy things I'll use and that I can't find anyplace else.  

We have a Costco very close and they have some amazing products with no added crap (along with a lot of crap filled stuff, so as they say here, read your labels).  I am grateful to the people who share their menus because - OLIVES!!  No, really, I hadn't thought about guacamole, but sure enough, Costco has a brand with nothing but real whole food ingredients.  Score and one more way to eat those eggs!  

@habanero I'm glad to hear your tough conversation led to progress and a "win." I think my waterworks are winding down. Tomorrow's Day 10! The highest drop-out day, according to the book. If I didn't drop out the last couple of days, I can't imagine doing it now. 

I used to work at Whole Foods, and even with our discount, my co-workers and I called it "Whole Paycheck" too! Funny. Have you heard of Thrive market? It's an online natural foods and household goods market. I haven't signed up yet but it looks like it might be worth it, especially if you don't have a nearby natural foods store like Whole Foods. Only catch is you have to pay for a membership, so I wonder how much will I really save? But then there's the time I could save, and gas money. We have a Fairway Market about 20 minutes away, but it's expensive and not nearly as organized as Whole Foods so I spend a lot of time looking for everything. 

I luuuuuuv guacamole. Really anything with avocado. Enjoy your eggs! 

11 hours ago, Dara R said:

@habanero I'm glad to hear your tough conversation led to progress and a "win." I think my waterworks are winding down. Tomorrow's Day 10! The highest drop-out day, according to the book. If I didn't drop out the last couple of days, I can't imagine doing it now. 

I used to work at Whole Foods, and even with our discount, my co-workers and I called it "Whole Paycheck" too! Funny. Have you heard of Thrive market? It's an online natural foods and household goods market. I haven't signed up yet but it looks like it might be worth it, especially if you don't have a nearby natural foods store like Whole Foods. Only catch is you have to pay for a membership, so I wonder how much will I really save? But then there's the time I could save, and gas money. We have a Fairway Market about 20 minutes away, but it's expensive and not nearly as organized as Whole Foods so I spend a lot of time looking for everything. 

I luuuuuuv guacamole. Really anything with avocado. Enjoy your eggs! 

Have you checked out Vitacost.com?  Amazing prices, no  fees or other requirements, always discounts/deals, and an exhaustive list of products.  I belonged to a food coop for years until they kept getting gobbled up by the bigger companies and they finally pushed us out.  I've heard of Thrive, but didn't know enough about it and for some reason thought it was one of those MLM concoction things where you tell two friends, and so on and so on.  Let me know if you find out more about it.  

@habanero I have not heard of Vitacost.com, but I'll check it out. I don't think Thrive is an MLM, but I'm not sure. 

It can be hard for all of us to find a good local natural food store, I'm noticing a trend! 

So, this just happened. Today's Day 11 and I'm so proud of myself. I feel amazing, I've lost weight, my skin is glowing. 

I'm in the middle of making a batch of butternut squash soup. I've chopped all the veggies, grated the ginger, heated the coconut oil, and the pot is now full of sautéed  butternut squash with onion, garlic, and ginger. 

When I bought the chicken broth I forgot to read the label. Oh, but I remembered to read it promptly after I poured the entire contents into my beautiful pot of deliciousness. THE BROTH CONTAINS SUGAR. DAMMIT! Organic cane sugar. The devil in a blue dress. I'm beside myself! It's such a small amount of sugar, though. The label says 1 serving=1 cup and contains 0 grams of sugar. Sneaky, how they do that. I want to eat this soup, so badly. I know I can't, if I want to stick with this program and not have to start over. Shoot. Maybe I'll just start over.

Waaaaaahhhh! 

2 hours ago, Dara R said:

I want to eat this soup, so badly. I know I can't, if I want to stick with this program and not have to start over. Shoot. Maybe I'll just start over.

You can save all the soup you've got going so far and either hold it til you get another, or you could use a different kind of broth if you have something handy, or you could even use water and maybe just add a little more spice.  I made this soup and wasn't crazy about it with the chicken broth anyway, but maybe that's just because I'm not a bird grrl.  

19 hours ago, Dara R said:

I'm in the middle of making a batch of butternut squash soup. I've chopped all the veggies, grated the ginger, heated the coconut oil, and the pot is now full of sautéed  butternut squash with onion, garlic, and ginger. 

When I bought the chicken broth I forgot to read the label. Oh, but I remembered to read it promptly after I poured the entire contents into my beautiful pot of deliciousness. THE BROTH CONTAINS SUGAR. DAMMIT! Organic cane sugar. The devil in a blue dress. I'm beside myself! It's such a small amount of sugar, though. The label says 1 serving=1 cup and contains 0 grams of sugar. Sneaky, how they do that. I want to eat this soup, so badly. I know I can't, if I want to stick with this program and not have to start over. Shoot. Maybe I'll just start over.

Waaaaaahhhh! 

Hi Dara - I'm not sure what you decided to do with the soup last night, but if it were me (and I had decided to eat it), then I would keep going and just footnote it in your journal. Then when you get to the end of the 30 days you can decide what to do. Either add on the extra days or say "I did the Whole30 besides some trace amounts of sugar on Day XX". I messed up with some seasoning for a grilled chicken on Day 3.  I didn't realize until after I ate it that it had MSG in it.  Ugh.  It was before I was checking everything really well.  I'll probably add in the three days at the end, but three days is easier than 10 or so!  

21 hours ago, habanero said:

You can save all the soup you've got going so far and either hold it til you get another, or you could use a different kind of broth if you have something handy, or you could even use water and maybe just add a little more spice.  I made this soup and wasn't crazy about it with the chicken broth anyway, but maybe that's just because I'm not a bird grrl.  

Thank you. I will think of all these ideas for next time. 

4 hours ago, Jodes said:

Hi Dara - I'm not sure what you decided to do with the soup last night, but if it were me (and I had decided to eat it), then I would keep going and just footnote it in your journal. Then when you get to the end of the 30 days you can decide what to do. Either add on the extra days or say "I did the Whole30 besides some trace amounts of sugar on Day XX". I messed up with some seasoning for a grilled chicken on Day 3.  I didn't realize until after I ate it that it had MSG in it.  Ugh.  It was before I was checking everything really well.  I'll probably add in the three days at the end, but three days is easier than 10 or so!  

@Jodes Thank you, I really appreciate this advice. I did end up eating a serving of the  soup, but I gave the rest of it away to my friend who loved it. 

I'm doing exactly what you said. I'll carry on, remember the trace sugar on Day 11, and see how I feel about it on Day 31! 

Archived