Oct 25 is day 1 of round 3 after a million missteps.

Jennifer824

So the Internet ate my long drawn out post, probably for the best. Here's the rundown: 

-Left a marriage Oct 2015

-Started working out November 2015

-Started first W30 Jan 27, 2016

-Lost a ton of weight and felt OUT OF THIS %&$#@÷G WORLD to boot. 

-New relationship April 2016

-Tandem W30 May 1, 2016

-WE FELT OUT OF THIS %&$#@÷G WORLD and lost weight. I hit 50lbs down

-My job cut hours, got stressed, I rediscovered ice cream and the sugar dragon got me. The summer was one big slice of cake with a milkshake to wash it down. I gained back nearly half of what I lost. I kept beating myself up about it, as it got worse and worse. I attempted about 15 more "day 1's" before I had a serious conversation with myself and here I am. This is definitely the farthest I've gone through a day 1 since May. This is progress.

-I'm reading through FFF right now and I signed up for the emails, they seem helpful. I'm cranky. 

Jen

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting day 1 tomorrow so will just be one step behind you, shall we support each other? 

I've spent the past year going through marriage problems and although we're still together and riding it all out I've decided enough is enough and I'm going to focus my energy on me for a while so back to whole 30 it is! 

Becky

x

Hello there!

I made it ~10 days almost two weeks ago and I felt great--loved the emotional/mental clarity and the notion that my body and mind were "in this together." (Usually the two feel pretty at odds...) Unfortunately, I resorted to some old, self-destructive habits while in the midst of a few particularly stressful days. But my Day 1 is tomorrow, October 26th. Some things I know I need to especially focus on:

1) Meals - balanced and nutrient-dense with sufficient amounts of carbohydrates (compliant of course) and monounsaturated fats

2) Mindfulness - pause and pray before meals, and in general SLOW DOWN while eating

3) Sleep - >7 hours MINIMUM per night, no exceptions

4) Weight - resist the urge to weigh myself at all costs, because I know I have not failed if I gain/lose weight (and I haven't necessarily succeeded if I maintain my weight). 

I've read It Starts With Food and Food Freedom Forever, but I'm excited to pick up the Whole30 book from the library tomorrow (I've been waiting on the holdlist forever!).

Here's to a better tomorrow!

Jen

Hi Guys - I'm new to baring my soul on line, but I am finally conceding that I need your help and support. I like this post because I've been there, done that!  I did the Whole 30 successfully about a year ago and I felt awesome and invincible - I had conquered the sugar dragon and the wine dragon.  Then somehow I slowly slipped back into the abyss. I started again yesterday and succumbed to lemon cake today!  What's wrong with me? For the past month, I've "started" the Whole 30 - probably 3 times.  I am starting again tomorrow - the 26th with you JisforJennifer.  Let's do this!!!!

Day 3 for me! I am so proud of myself. The Daily emails are SUPER helpful to me this time, totally worth the 15 bucks. I've been printing them out and rereading them when I feel like I'm about to go off the rails. Yesterday I almost got my coffee with cream and sugar, and when I got to the counter, my brain slapped me: "pull yourself together, woman! You've come too far to turn back now! " and Brain was right. And I felt good about my decision. Later, I had my once-a-week class downtown (I live in Boston), which has so many places I used to eat. We're talking pizza, Chinese, bars, burgers, and coffee shop/ bakery hybrids. That's within 1000 feet of the building. I almost ran late, but I microwaved some broccoli, threw some pineapple in it and dumped some adobo seasoning on it. I'm a lousy chef, but simple things like that keep me going. If it's easy and edible and compliant, I'm in. The people I ate next to on my break may have been peeved at the smell (farty broccoli, tons of garlic, etc...) but whatever. I got asked about it, reluctantly mentioned whole 30. I really don't like being THAT person ("does this have gluten in it? I can't have gluten. Do you even KNOW the horrors it commits to your gastrointestinal system? Oh yes and I can't do dairy. I'm not a cow! Oh and I'm lactose intolerant. What did you cook that in? The canola oil that seemingly everything is made with? That makes for a leaky gut, you know. Legumes are also out. Peanuts are beans, did you know that? And soy? My God the estrogen alone causes me to lose sleep! Don't get me started on sulfites and carageenan. This country's dependence on sugar is deplorable. Honey's sugar! Agave nectar is sugar! We're playing into Big Sugar's agenda. Artificial sweeteners cause cancer"), but here I am, pissing everyone else off. 

See what I mean? 

Yeah I want to punch that person, even though most of that is correct. 

So day 3 is here and I am having trouble leaving bed. Where I am now. I'll be fine but ughhhhhh bagel breakfast sandwich with a caramel latte, please. 

Thanks for reading my rant! 

@Jennifer824 You're hilarious. Great job making good choices yesterday despite all the obstacles! I'm wondering if you turned them into an opportunity (like the day 2 email suggests) to seek out the good stuff near your class? 

In other news, my very first day 1 of my very first Whole 30 went well but with a few prep disasters. I also found myself not hungry enough for pre- and post-workout snacks, but I ate them anyway per the book and forum suggestions. I was super tired yesterday despite enough sleep. Anyone experience sleepiness day 1? and for those of you who've done this before, what are your thoughts on workout meals/snacks?

@kimmiann1202 my "opportunities" are making sure I'm prepared. "WELP. There's only pizza places so THAT'S ALL THERE IS and I can't do anything about it!" That's me. All the time. I blame the extrinsic, when I should really hold myself responsible for my hands/mouth in tandem, you know? Day 3 is going well. Today I want white cheddar popcorn. Wahhhh

Hi guys,

I am on track too.  Today is my day 2 - for some reason when I posted on Wed , I thought it was Tuesday the 25th.  

How is everyone preparing to hold the Sugar Dragon at bay for Halloween?  I work in an office where people bring in goodies and sometimes my hands and mouth work separate from my brain!  I need you guys to hold me accountable.  I hereby commit to my Whole30 group that I will abstain and stay on track.  I really want to make it the whole way through.  

Keep in touch.

I'm doing well on day 3. I unexpectedly went to a sushi restaurant last night. I packed my aminos and some of my homemade ranch dressing from the Whole 30 book in little bottles in my purse. I ordered a house salad with no dressing and some salmon sashimi. I felt pretty satisfied. I missed drinking a beer with it, but club soda and lemon helped.

Tonight is another struggle! I'm having friends over for pumpkin carving. They decided they want to order pizza and drink beer! Gatherings with my friends are a huge overeating/overdrinking trigger for me, so this is a great opportunity to have fun without those things.  I have some kombucha to drink, and I decided to make some appetizers and a salad so I can eat. I'm very open to appetizer/party-snack suggestions for non-Whole30 guests. Any successes you've had in this area?

19 minutes ago, Gabriela55 said:

Hi guys,

I am on track too.  Today is my day 2 - for some reason when I posted on Wed , I thought it was Tuesday the 25th.  

How is everyone preparing to hold the Sugar Dragon at bay for Halloween?  I work in an office where people bring in goodies and sometimes my hands and mouth work separate from my brain!  I need you guys to hold me accountable.  I hereby commit to my Whole30 group that I will abstain and stay on track.  I really want to make it the whole way through.  

Keep in touch.

You will not go off plan for office goodies, @Gabriela55! I work in a school, so my strategy is just to avoid the teacher's lounge this week. Are you able to avoid the office kitchen/eating area? 

Also, like you said, people bring in goodies all the time at your office. They will still bring in goodies when your Whole 30 is over and you can have them then if they still feel worth it to you. And Halloween comes every year. You can have Halloween treats next year. Plus! Halloween candy is just candy in an orange wrapper. It's available all year 'round. Just not for you this month. :) 

Hey everyone! Day 4 and I'm still OK! 

After I get through Day 5, I usually can turn down most things. My cravings are real, but I feel very "I've come so far!" So that makes it easier. 

Candy is rough. Don't do it! Chop up an apple and toss it in cinnamon. That works for me! :)

On 10/25/2016 at 2:28 PM, @pralison said:

I'm with you both! I made it 10 days about 3 months ago and was really feeling awesome.  Re-started today. So far so good. May I join your support group? I'm so unhappy with my body, my weight, my health. It's stifling and unhealthy on so many levels.

How ya doin, @pralison?

You guys are Aaaawwwwsome!  Thanks kimmiann for the reminder - you're so right!   I don't know why holidays trigger the dragon making me feel like I can binge because tomorrow is another day and I can always "restart" the program.  I don't want to go there again. 

My go to for parties/dinners, etc. is sparkling water in a wine glass with lime.  Maybe you can put your kambucha in a wine glass? Or check out page 390 in the Whole 30 book for the lemon lime zinger or the white tea-a-sangria.   I found that it's more the act of drinking rather than the drink itself that is a habit for me.  Don't get me wrong, I love my wine, but I can go without for 30 days and hopefully beyond.  

Instead of appetizers, you can make a big pot of the Classic Chili for you and your friends.  It's quick and it's filling and you won't want to snack.  You can include bread for your friends, but send the leftovers home with someone.  Add your salad, and voila - happy people and for you -- another day in your pocket :)

Good luck all.

Hello everyone, and TGIF! :D

I'm rolling right along with my Whole30, in spite of more unexpected stress. -.-  

As for the Halloween obstacle...

I don't remember where I heard/read this but I remember someone remarking that "We know exactly what a Reeses' tastes like. We don't need to eat it to find out." That's what I remind myself whenever I want run-of-the-mill candy I've had time and again.  Just a thought.

Hi Everyone 

I'm Idee a newbie just starting Day 4.  Would love to join your support group. 

This is my first Whole 30 but I've done many food plans in the past and have lost and regained the same 25 pounds over and over again.   

Ugh I have to go to a dinner party and can't decide if I should call the hostess ahead of time and be one of those people who have to announce their food or eat ahead of time and push the food around on my plate and pretend to eat.

What do you think?

Archived