no weight loss, what did I do wrong?!

So, this is my 3rd completed whole30!  The 3rd time around was waay easier. After the first week I really didn't care about sugar.  I do still miss it in my coffee sometimes, and all the halloween candy has looked extra good this weekend, but I have stayed strong! 

I am really disappointed however, bc I DID NOT LOOSE A LB. Last year when I did it I lost 10. I did have some nsv, but not as many as before. I don't know what is going on? My husband said maybe bc I'm a year older? I just don't understand how not eating sugar,dairy, alcohol, bread and grains I didn't loose weight.  The scale stayed right at 206. I wonder if I didn't have enough fat, or if I had too much? I didn't eat as much fruit as I did before, I don't know. I'm so perplexed. I do want to continue eating this way bc I did feel better than eating sugar and crap but I am feeling so defeated about the lack of weightloss. I am 5'4 and considered morbidly obese at 206, so weight loss is very important for me. 

• Administrators

Hi @reneeruecks - I'm sorry you're still feeling frustrated. I'm particularly sorry that you are allowing the scale to define your level of success or failure. As you'll recall, you had a lot of suggestions and kind words in these two threads discussing how you might choose to alter your thinking to give less power to the scale. 

That aside, if you think you ate too much or too little fat or otherwise had unbalanced meals, you would have to give us some detail in order for us to review and see if anything stands out. 

I completely understand that you are upset and I'm so sorry, that's an awful feeling and one a lot of us know well, unfortunately. Please know though, that this program and the support forum are not a weight-loss program or forum. There's only so much help that the volunteer moderators and other members can give to try and give you the results you want.....when those results are not actually a guarantee of the program. Having underlying health conditions, ageing, stress etc will all negate weight loss. Your body is smart and it will prioritize healing and stress management over shedding pounds. The fact that you didn't lose weight while following a healthful, whole foods plan may give you information that you can use to understand yourself better. Should you have lost weight? "Should" is a useless thought because you are arguing with reality. The reality is that you didn't and there IS a reason for that. I think a valid goal now would be to continue to eat in a Whole30 manner and work on other factors that might be messing with your hormone and body balance. Sleep, stress reduction, mindfulness, consistent exercise, weight lifting, gut health, meditation.  It only starts with food.

I just don't understand how things could have gone so much differently this time around.  I appreciate your help but I also just want to hear other ppl's stories and see if mine is the same. Being over weight is having an effect on my hormones bc the more excess fat you have hormones get stored.  So yes weight loss is important, it's not just bc I'm vain and want to be slimmer, it is really having an effect on other things. I am in this forum for support from everyone, which is what I thought it was for? And I thought ti would be ok to bring up weight loss since i did it in the post whole 30 section.  I don't think anyone can argue that being 5'4 and 206 lbs is healthy 

I'm a paleo people and I've been there.  There's a difference between hormonal imbalance and hormonal resistance, very different conditions.  They are treated differently.

Consistency is key. It's the only way to find your equilibrium with challenging health conditions. I don't bounce in and out of carb nights, cheat meals or cycling through with keto days and intermittent fasting and UP days of eating.  That doesn't work for hormonal imbalance or hormonal resistance.  I cannot do what other people do to themselves. I stay the course and in my own lane.

The only way to fix either of these conditions will take true grit.  No sugars of any kind. None. I don't take one bite and throw the rest away.  No sugars, period. That works for someone in peak insulin condition but with my blood sugar history, trying that would bring diabetes right back to my doorstep.

When we bounce in and out of anything, out body doesn't have time to catch its breath. Lean muscle mass is knocking right up against us but cortisol blowback causes intense hunger and eating even small amounts of sugars digs a deeper hole.

It's going to go so slow and it will really give you a pinch. You may feel like giving up but then these medical conditions will ratchet up even further. They won't cut you a day of slack.  You have to fight back with everything you've got.

It's taken me 2.5 years to get here and days/months that suxed.  Giving up sugars will break through these health barriers. Get mad at them, give them up. Tool along and fight, fight, fight. Get back in the ring and give all of these things a TKO. 

One more thing about the energy balance.  Movement.  Some have waited until all of the weight releasing was done before they moved only to rebound with every single pound and then some.  Start moving on day one and don't quit.  Do the things you like on all of your own terms.  We don't have to duplicate anyone or their athletic limits, skills or abilities.  Just move every day.  Walking the stairs, parking further away,  hiking your neighborhood, finding a hill and going UP and down until one day, you can catch your breath no matter what you're doing.  All of this matters.  Consistent movement heals along with whole, natural foods. 

If you have a pet or a horse, they require exercise for their longevity.  Good food and movement keeps their anxiety and depression away. It's the same way for people. Animals and people in motion, our internal organs start working for us again. Have you ever known dogs who develop kidney problems, diabetes, etc...they have to stay all cooped up in the house for 10 or 12 hours aday. Give that same pet regular exercise and all of their lil organs start working again, too.  Movement heals.   

Archived