Sugar Dragon Keeps Getting Me at 3

Ariane

I've been noticing that every day at 2 PM-ish I get this craving for something sweet. Is this out of habit or physiological or both? Should I eat more at lunch so that I fend off these cravings?   I believe they are cravings because when I asked myself can I eat a meal right now it's usually a no and I just want some sort of sweet snack. How detrimental is this during the whole 30 reset? I'm trying  so hard not to give in to the  compliant mangoes and I promise I only eat about one serving and then I'm satisfied and can actually make myself stop eating them. 

• Moderators

It could be habit, it could be that you're actually hungry, could be both. I know, that's helpful, right? ;)

If you feel you could eat more at lunch without being totally miserable, I'd try that. 

Don't buy the mangoes anymore. Give away the ones you have or put them somewhere that you can't get to them or something. At 2 pm when you want something, have some pickles. Or a hard boiled egg. Or some tuna fish. Or some leftover protein and fat. If you won't eat any of those, but you would eat the mangoes, you're probably not actually hungry, you just want something sweet. Drink a big glass of water, and do something to distract yourself. Go for a walk, call a friend, go outside for a few minutes, do some exercises, work a crossword puzzle. You should stop wanting something after a few minutes, once you're distracted.

I used to have the same problem and would tackle it with a banana with some coconut shreds, as time went one, my sugar cravings kept decreasing (currently on day 6).  I no longer need that banana after lunch and still no sugar cravings at all throughout the day :D

• Moderators

Unfortunately @saraip this is not our recommendation.  Glad that it's worked for you but for the majority of people, feeding a sugar craving with sugar is just going to keep that pesky dragon around... @ShannonM816 is right... briney, fatty items, protein, basically anything but fruit and nuts is going to be the key if one is actually hungry and should one not actually be hungry, power through... after a few 2pm times of not giving in, you'll be over the hump!

@ShannonM816Thanks for the advice. I was hoping you wouldn't confirm what I already thought which was just to get rid of the mangoes altogether. Didn't help that they were in my car and that I'm in the car at 3 pm picking up my daughter when the Dragon awakens!  I'll boil some eggs tomorrow for work! 

1 hour ago, Ariane said:

@saraipI know they said your advice is not advised, but thank you for letting me know that in due time the 3pm Sugar Dragon shall be tamed. I'm only on day 4 today (officially) so I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow!  Thanks again!

I think everyone's body reacts differently, what they advise doesn't work for everyone, we just have to find our own paths :D  I'll admit it's not been an easy path for me, I've gotten the shakes, the ran over by a bus, the blues, the foggy brain, and I'm currently on I have no energy to do anything.  I'm on day 17!  We got this!!  :wub:

5 hours ago, saraip said:

and I'm currently on I have no energy to do anything.  I'm on day 17!

You really shouldn't be feeling this way by day17..... if you'd like to check you're on the right track feel free to list out a few days worth of your food, giving specifics on portion sizes, activity levels, water intake etc and we can take a look to see if you can make any tweaks to help with your energy levels.

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily? Salting your food? Getting enough fat at each meal? All of these play a role in your energy levels.

13 hours ago, jmcbn said:

You really shouldn't be feeling this way by day17..... if you'd like to check you're on the right track feel free to list out a few days worth of your food, giving specifics on portion sizes, activity levels, water intake etc and we can take a look to see if you can make any tweaks to help with your energy levels.

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily? Salting your food? Getting enough fat at each meal? All of these play a role in your energy levels.

Hi jmcbn!  Thanks for your message! 
I'd love to have some input from you!  I feel better this morning, workout was normal, but not full of energy.  I'm still waiting for TIGER BLOOD! 

I eat the same thing pretty much everyday...it's quite boring but I enjoy all this food so don't feel the need to change...yet.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, either hard boiled or scrambled with onions, mushrooms, and zucchini.  Veg is always pumpkin and squash and it's approx. 1 cup each.  As for fat, I have approx. 1/4 cup of coconut milk with my coffee.

Lunch - Roasted chicken (1/4) or ground beef (approx. 75 grams? - the leftovers from the stuffed pepper recipe) with carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, or squash.  The veg alternate depending on what I have left in the fridge.  Sometimes I have chicken on mixed greens topped with walnut pesto (A LOT of it, it's such a great recipe).

Snack - If I'm hungry in the afternoon, sometimes I have banana with coconut shreds at the office.  I've been fighting this off though as I prefer to leave it to dinner and stick to 3 meals a day.

Dinner - We do a Sunday roast every week so it's either lamb (4oz?) or chicken (1/2 or 1/4 of a small chicken, depending on how hungry I am) and the leftovers is enough to feed us for the next 2 - 3 days.  We always have roasted veg such as potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and kale (kale is a daily green) with our meat. 

I do 3 cardio and 3 resistance sessions per week, approx. 30 mins each.  I often end the week with a 2 hour hike (easy one), just to get some fresh air. 

My clothes are fitting a lot better since I've started my Whole30, I haven't threw a fit either!  Overall, I feel much better but just wish Tiger Blood would hit.  Another issue I've been having is waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.  I usually go to bed at 10 or 10:30pm but I will wake up at around 4am to wee...

Any input is appreciate here :)

Thank you all in advance!!

14 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Oh also!  I do think I drink enough...lots of water and green tea at the office, then when I get home, I'll have some more decaf tea :)

Hi @saraip

I think you're maybe over-doing the starchy veg & so you're still getting the sugar highs & lows and are preventing your body from becoming fat adapted.

You mention a starchy veg at every meals - try replacing the potatoes, carrots, pumpkin & parsnips with more non starchy veg. Our recommendation would be to aim for a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day so the remainder of your veg intake could be made up with kale, spinach, zucchini, romaine, eggplant, collards, cabbage, leeks etc.

Are you including at least a postWO meal? Lack of protein for recovery will also effect energy levels...

As for the toilet break during the night try limiting liquids after 7pm and see how you go.

Hope this helps :)

@ShannonM816Ok confession/question. I took the mangoes out of my car, only to take it back to the car around 5 pm which is actually around the time of my next meal but I had to take my daughter to her volleyball game. So of course I was legitimately hungry at that time and didn't think to pack my dinner before bringing her. But my question is , if you are able to control the amount of fruit you eat in between cause you're craving, is that still frowned upon? Cause I can actually make myself stop eating after a certain amount. Actually I don't even have to force myself. I just naturally don't want anymore.  

Hi @jmcbn

Thanks for your recommendations!  You're right, I need to incorporate more leafy greens in my diet...lunch time shopping today!  :D  I feel bad starting this only today (Day 19) ...I guess I was too lazy to think of other veg and kept eating the same things over and over again :(

I don't usually have a postWO meal because I never feel like eating until a lot later, I need to change that as well...ahhhh...

Well, after X'mas, I'll have a second go at a better Whole30!  :D

I do have more energy today, workout was good this morning...hope this keeps up throughout the day!

Thanks again!!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ariane said:

@ShannonM816Ok confession/question. I took the mangoes out of my car, only to take it back to the car around 5 pm which is actually around the time of my next meal but I had to take my daughter to her volleyball game. So of course I was legitimately hungry at that time and didn't think to pack my dinner before bringing her. But my question is , if you are able to control the amount of fruit you eat in between cause you're craving, is that still frowned upon? Cause I can actually make myself stop eating after a certain amount. Actually I don't even have to force myself. I just naturally don't want anymore.  

It's not that fruit is bad. But the goal of Whole30 is to make yourself healthier, and to have fruit on its own -- especially dried fruit -- can cause spikes in blood sugar, followed by crashes. It can keep cravings for sweets alive, which can make you more prone to giving in to eating non-Whole30 things. It's not really doing anything to make you healthier. You can eat nothing but dried mango for 30 days straight and assuming you made sure there were no non-compliant ingredients in it (sulfites often show up in dried fruit), you'll have done a Whole30. We're giving you suggestions to get the very most out of your Whole30. Whether you choose to implement those suggestions is totally up to you.

Archived