Question about eggs, and what the chickens are fed

[This question is meant to apply to both "during" Whole30 and "post" Whole30 eating of eggs...]

The local folks that I buy eggs from recently started feeding their chickens their leftover goat's milk (evidently the number and size of the eggs produced has increased as a result).

My question:  goat's milk does not seem like a natural food for chickens...does this make these eggs less desirable in any way, from a health standpoint? 

I eat a lot of eggs...I'd hate to give up this local source of eggs, as they come from free-range/"happy" chickens (I can see them roaming around the property), and the eggs are large and cheap, at $2.50/dozen......BUT......I will seek eggs elsewhere, if the goat's milk is a significantly "less desirable" food for the laying chickens.

Thanks in advance for any insights/feedback.

Chris

I'm guessing they're using it as some kind of supplement in place of a soy/grain based feed. If it's raw (& also sour) goat's milk then it's apparently good for their gut bacteria, and yes, it is thought to increase production. The proteins in goat's milk are more easily digestible than cow's milk so it could also be a way of increasing their calcium without compromising their gut?

Personally I'd favour goat's milk over soy/corn/grain fed chickens every time.

I would agree. Some family members of mine run a goat farm and also raise pastured laying hens. They use the goats' milk for making cheese but they have various components of it or sometimes just extra milk they give to their chickens. The hens are all healthy and thriving.

Being pastured, they may need to supplement them depending on how many chickens they have and how big the property is to keep production at a certain level. I know they will eat almost anything put out for them, but Goats' milk seems pretty harmless to me especially compared to other things they could be eating. And 2.50 per dozen!!  Wish I had access to those eggs! 

Archived