Almond butter Asian "dressing"

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I may be the one person who doesn't like sunshine sauce.  Granted, I don't like Sunbutter so maybe switching it out to almond butter would help... but just wondering if anyone else has found a food Asian inspired nut butter sauce that is any good.  Thanks.

I didn't care for sunshine sauce either, I'm sure it's just my taste because I LOVE Mel Joulwan and her recipes SO much. 

Try switching the sunbutter for almond butter, go up on the rice vinegar and down on the lime juice. Add a little bit of fish sauce start with 1/2 tsp? And a couple drops of sesame oil. Sorry I don't have exact amounts, I usually just keep adding and tasting till I think it tastes good. Oh a little bit of salt after you've added the fish sauce if you think it still needs something. 

Edited to add, I find this really has to sit and let the flavors come together, so the longer in advance you can make it, the better. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Thanks.  I found this recipe which is pretty adaptable too.  Similar to what you are saying J9er - just add stuff to Mel's (btw, it is the only recipe of hers I've ever not liked).  Another one called for sesame oil and fish sauce - so I'll tinker.  I got a Napa cabbage last week from our Fieldgood's order and its got to be used so I'll get cracking on the dressings :)

I have to admit I'm not all that crazy about coconut aminos; I think that's part of my issue with Sunshine Sauce.

The Pioneer Woman has a recipe for Cilantro Slaw that is delicious. I think it could be made with mayo, rice vinegar, and cilantro, and poured over shredded cabbage. Yummy on top of shredded beef.

Stephanie

• Moderators

I only ever make Sunshine sauce with Almond butter... hardly ever with coconut aminos and it's great.  The AB makes it a bit more peanut sauce seeming and I like to put the zest of the lime in and the juice of the whole lime (which is about double the recipe) along with a pinch more cayenne... Making it without the coconut aminos reduces the sweetness a bit.  Real peanut sauce is sweet but now, because we eat so little sugar, you really notice the sweetness in things and you might prefer it more acid that sweet (hence no aminos and extra lime).

• 2 months later...

Archived