Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

There is never the "perfect time." There will always be a holiday, a birthday, a girls night out. I'm done coming up with excuses and putting this off so I'm starting on Monday November 21st. 

I am a food addict. I am a stress eater. I am an emotional eater. I'm a happy eater. I'm a social eater. Basically I eat ALL the time and I do NOT make healthy choices. After those not so healthy choices I beat myself up and feel like a failure. I do not have a healthy relationship with food. 

I am bloated and uncomfortable nine days out of ten and I'm always tired.  

It's time to put on my big girl panties and just get this done!! 

I tried this once before however it was half assed. Despite that, I still felt better AND lost weight. I can only imagine how I will feel when I get it done right! 

I highly doubt anyone will start the same day with the holidays coming, but if anyone is as crazy as me, I would love the company! 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey MizRik! I will be doing the program while you are! I started Nov 14th and Dec 13th will be my last day. Tell me about the last time you tried this! I'm a first timer, but how'd it go last time? How long did you hold out and what got you off of the program? :D Better luck this time around! 

Hi! 
I am planning to start tomorrow Sunday 11/20. This my 2nd time. I completed my first whole 30 last May, I felt amazing and I lost 13 of the 15 /20 pounds I was hoping for.....Then summer came and I was all "over-confident" and it all crept back on. Occasional heavier dinners, wine, etc became more than occasional..... So now I am hoping to do another 're-set' but after I am done, I want to continue to eat Whole 30-ish MOST of the time, and truly only occasionally indulge in whatever I'd like.  I too thought hard about starting before the holidays but I am more than ready to feel consistently great again. 

Hi!  I'm starting today and would love to join you all for support.  I've tried the Whole 30 a few times but haven't completed it successfully.  I really want to develop a healthier relationship with food because I am also an emotional eater and stress eater.  I've never tried the Whole 30 with any support before.  I know it's going to be tough over the holidays but I'm looking forward to making it through the Whole 30 this time around! 

Rikki, I am so glad you posted this, AND that you are crazy enough to start tomorrow!  My first Whole 30 started in June of 2014, and lasted 105 days. I had great weight loss, but more importantly, I felt better than I've ever felt in my life!  I did two Whole 30's in 2015. The problem was, I wasn't in the right frame of mind, and I became very resentful. So here I am, back to where I was when I started two and half years ago.

I need to get back on track, and I know waiting until after Thanksgiving will just make it worse. My one concern was that my husband and I have Thanksgiving reservations at a very high end restaurant (not our usual fare!). I told him about my concerns tonight, and he said, "let's cancel the reservations, and I'll start on the Whole 30 with you tomorrow." MAJOR points to the husband today!

I'm looking forward to feeling better!

Let's all make a pact to check in here daily. We can do it!  Wishing everyone an easy Day 1!!

First timer here...starting Nov 21st also! 

A busy day ZERO, with prep and such.  Excited to be departing upon this venture, and subscribed to the daily newsletter, and this forum for support!! 

Glad to have others alongside :)

Love all the science behind this approach, I guess thats the nurse in me.....also have been wondering for a VERY long time whether "clean" eating will improve my psoriasis patches. 

Time will tell, one bite, one meal one day at a time....

Here's to a healthier me and you!!! 

9 hours ago, LW4good said:

I am so impressed that you guys are starting before the holidays. I am miserable but I keep saying   - "January 1st start date."  I am rethinking that now... 

Oh, I could do a LOT of damage between now and then! I'm guessing I would be 10 pounds heavier if I didn't start now. I did this (Whole 30) for the whole summer of 2014 (June-September) which sounds easy, but there are lots of summer parties and drinking where it was challenging. Even though there were some tough days, it was totally worth it. Jump in with us and you'll be so happy January 1!

6 hours ago, AliceV said:

Love all the science behind this approach, I guess thats the nurse in me.....also have been wondering for a VERY long time whether "clean" eating will improve my psoriasis patches. 

Alice, I have a skin condition on my hands that really flares up every summer. I suffered with it for 10 years. After the whole 30, it completely disappeared. I was shocked because I had no idea it was food related. It may not clear up completely but I would guess you'll see some improvement!

2 hours ago, Kirsty said:

Hi all. I too am starting whole 30 tomorrow 11/21. I am really excited but scared, I have zero will power with food, but I'm done feeling bad for myself and it's time to do something about it! I would love any and all support going!! 

Kirsty, we are all in the same boat!  One day at a time (sometimes that's one minute at a time ;)) check and here and we'll keep each other going!

This is a perfect size group! Have a great day ladies and check in tonight to tell us how it went!!

Yes, we will all be much happier when Christmas rolls around and we are all already 30+ days in! With my first time I remember meal prep was the KEY! I'm also a nurse and work long shifts. Also taking care of the kids and always busy! Having all veggies chopped up, chicken all grilled and in the fridge, etc. was a big help.  It was too hard to already be hungry and need to think of what to make. I mostly also stuck to the same meals, not looking for crazy variety and it helped. I was worried about snacks, I am typically a grazer, but honestly after a few days in, I was barely hungry between meals. Also drank tons of water with different things, cucumber, lemon, mint. etc. The first few nights I had cravings, and I'd have a banana, a few almonds and some peppermint tea. That was very satisfying. I did that last night, night 1. Another thing that helps is smoothies made with water, spinach,kale and some fruits and ground flax. Good way to get extra in. Trader Joe's cauliflower rice and Ghee I like. Also Trader Joe's Plantain chips w a little salsa if I feel like I HAD to have something crunchy- are Whole 30 approved. Took away that urge to snack. And if I really felt struggling the first few days I'd do Hard-Love on myself -" Do I want to eat the "XXX" and continue to feel like crap? Or do I really want to see this through?" That also works :-) 

Hope everyone's having a great Day1/Day2! 

I thought I would be the only one crazy enough to start today!  It's so encouraging to see so many other "crazies"  on here!  I'm pretty nervous, I've eaten clean-ish before but never cut out dairy (I'm from Wisconsin!) and sugar is definitely my nemesis.  Over the last couple of weeks I cut way back on sugar and stopped drinking soda, over the weekend I celebrated my birthday & boy, was I sensitive to the sweets!  Already making revelations and I hadn't even started yet!  I'm obsessing about food today, which is really annoying, I feel like I'm supposed to be restricting my intake.  How liberating to know I could eat all day!  I shopped & planned over the weekend.  I even made a spreadsheet for a grocery list!  I've never been this organized in the kitchen before & am totally geeking-out over it!  I love the science and the challenge!  :DCongratulations, everyone!

On 11/19/2016 at 2:28 PM, Radcliffec said:

Hey MizRik! I will be doing the program while you are! I started Nov 14th and Dec 13th will be my last day. Tell me about the last time you tried this! I'm a first timer, but how'd it go last time? How long did you hold out and what got you off of the program? :D Better luck this time around! 

The last time I did this was almost a year ago. Crazy to think it was that long ago. When I say that I did it half-assed its because I had my first off plan food item on day #14 and then allowed a few more cheats after that. Then on day 30-ish? Cant remember if I even made it to day 30, I binged. There was no slow reintro of anything. I deeply regret that now.  Despite me not really committing  I lost around 15lbs and I felt AMAZING!!  My stomach bloat was gone, my mood had stabilized out and I was happier, my chronic headaches were GONE, I could go on and on about all the good things I experienced. Sadly I fell back into old habits and here I am wanting to try again. This time I am promising myself that I will complete it 100% correctly and carry it on as a permanent lifestyle change. Its time to get healthy.

On 11/19/2016 at 2:41 PM, 2ndtimer said:

Hi! 
I am planning to start tomorrow Sunday 11/20. This my 2nd time. I completed my first whole 30 last May, I felt amazing and I lost 13 of the 15 /20 pounds I was hoping for.....Then summer came and I was all "over-confident" and it all crept back on. Occasional heavier dinners, wine, etc became more than occasional..... So now I am hoping to do another 're-set' but after I am done, I want to continue to eat Whole 30-ish MOST of the time, and truly only occasionally indulge in whatever I'd like.  I too thought hard about starting before the holidays but I am more than ready to feel consistently great again. 

I'm ready to get back to feeling consistently great as well!! The weight loss I had the first time was nice, but I miss the energy and happiness I had the last time!

Hello!

My name is Jen and I'm also crazy enough to start today (11/21).

My relationship with exercise, food, and my body over the past eight years or so: challenging, difficult, exhausting, frustrating, tumultuous.

I've previously attempted the Whole30, but intentionally paused the process as I discovered some things within me that needed to be dealt with properly. In other words, I know I can complete the Whole30, but I refuse to fall on past behaviors (e.g. food restriction)  in order to do so. I want to Whole30 right. :) And by right, I don't mean "perfect;" rather, I want my Whole30 to (mentally and physically): 1) align with my purpose, 2) support my well-being, and 3) sustain my energy. 

Now... any suggestions for broaching the topic with family members, without having them jump to conclusions re: my new "crazy restrictive diet?" 

Let's do this.

Jen

On 11/20/2016 at 8:53 AM, Peej said:

Hi!  I'm starting today and would love to join you all for support.  I've tried the Whole 30 a few times but haven't completed it successfully.  I really want to develop a healthier relationship with food because I am also an emotional eater and stress eater.  I've never tried the Whole 30 with any support before.  I know it's going to be tough over the holidays but I'm looking forward to making it through the Whole 30 this time around! 

The holidays are gonna make it tough! But we can help each other through it!!

16 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

"let's cancel the reservations, and I'll start on the Whole 30 with you tomorrow." MAJOR points to the husband today!

Okay this is AWESOME!! Major husband points is right!!!

Count me in for daily check ins!! I think that would help a ton!! Good idea!

I started to reply to everyone comments, but there are already so many fun ones I would be here all day if I kept going!!

A few highlights.....

I am also in the medical field and LOVE the science behind this. Downfall to the medical field are for sure as someone mentioned the long crazy shifts and nights. I have today off for food prep, but I head back to the hospital for a 7 day stretch, all 12 hour shifts. Keeping up with fresh food during those stretches is HARD!!

LW4good .... I think you should totally reconsider and start with us!! :)

cclaymon... I had the same thought that I could also do a lot of damage between now and the first of the year. Its one of the reasons I said screw it and started now.

WELCOME Kirsty!! We got this!! I also have zero food willpower, however... WE ARE GONNA MAKE IT!!

Mhemm.... Bring on the crazies!! I also kinda geeked out with this stuff. I even printed and laminated some of the PDFs. LOL.

I am sooooo excited!! Scared and nervous too, but excited! Thank you all for the support!! Lets do this!

Ooooooo..... as we go along, if you come across a recipe that you cant live without please share!! Any and all other tips are also great!

One of the things I will do is cook large fritatas so that breakfast is a little easier! I am currently eating a smoked salmon one. YUM!! And trust me that might sound fancy, but it is soooooooo not! I am NOT a chef. I tend to set of smoke detectors. I keep it easy!!

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, MizRik said:

Have any of you heard much about the meal planning you can pay for on the site?? I am tempted to do it.

Are you talking about RealPlans? RealPlans is a totally separate company that happens to have a Whole30-friendly component in that you can "x" out the items that you aren't eating and it'll create ideas/lists/menus for you. We don't support it here on the Whole30 forum but if that is what you are referring to, I think a few people on these forums have used it.

2 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Are you talking about RealPlans? RealPlans is a totally separate company that happens to have a Whole30-friendly component in that you can "x" out the items that you aren't eating and it'll create ideas/lists/menus for you. We don't support it here on the Whole30 forum but if that is what you are referring to, I think a few people on these forums have used it.

Yes that's what I am referring too. I'm surprised its not supported on the forums yet there is a link for it on the whole30 website and Melissa seems to support it.  Guess I will look into it a little more. Thanks

• Administrators
1 minute ago, MizRik said:

Yes that's what I am referring too. I'm surprised its not supported on the forums yet there is a link for it on the whole30 website and Melissa seems to support it.  Guess I will look into it a little more. Thanks

Ya, @MizRik, a few people have asked us to support it here. The trouble is, it's an entirely different company and the volunteer moderators on this forum don't have access to that company so supporting it would be impossible. Here's the page I got when I googled "Real Plans support". https://support.realplans.com/hc/en-us

Melissa "supports" it in that it's a great product that could be valuable to our community members if they are interested. We support people wanting to use it..........we just can't help or provide much/any guidance on what is included or how it works.

Here are a couple more links that discuss more specific details, just in case you hadn't seen them yet.

https://realplans.com/whole30/?AFFID=255802
http://whole30.com/2016/08/whole30-meal-planning-real-plans/

And somewhere on either Melissa's facebook or the Whole30 facebook account, there is a video of her using it. I don't have time to dig for it though, sorry.

I actually started today myself. :)

As a psychology major I understand how challenging it can be starting something (trust me I've done it for several years). I've been through a lot of diet changes and some stayed with me, but since certain events do happen in our daily lives sometimes we can't help but give into those sweet temptations. I've been eating certain food that I know was bad for me but I always rubbed the idea off, but I had enough of the uncomfortable bloating. I'm very excited for these 30 days and how my body will take it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel much more healthier than before. Thankfully, I am lactose, gluten, and soy intolerant so it's easy for me to eliminate any foods that are correlated with those. I like the science behind it and it's awesome because I am thinking about minoring in nutrition.

Anywho! Congratulations everyone who have started today or have been on the journey thus far or you know, planning on after the Thanksgiving holiday. Either way, you can do it! 

Archived