Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

Checking in here, gals!! I'm having virtually no down time here.  Yesterday's food was fine. I realized I'm going to be eating a lot of salads! And for the most part I'm sticking with oil and vinegar because those restaurant salad dressings are too sexy for me!!  Six days of salad are not exciting, but it certainly is not the end of the world, either. Last night I had a crab and mango salad that was very tasty.

Key question: Besides what is listed on the menu for this dish, what else is in it? Oh what you'll learn!!!

We're 2/3 of the way home!! Happy day 20!!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how we got from day 10 to day 20 quite so quickly, but I'll take it!  B)

Food boredom and tiger blood have been my theme for the week.  Going to study the new cook book and get my spreadsheet laid out today and some massive house-cleaning done - my life is super-exciting!:D First I have to get some shopping done - flannel PJ's here I come!  Time to re-adjust to these cold northern winters again!

Have a great day 20 everyone!!!;)

Day 20 and I'm back at work for my last of five days in a row. I know that doesn't sound like much, but when they are all 12-14 hour shifts it starts to kick my butt!! 

Right now I vow to get a workout in tomorrow!! And then get back to a minimum of 3 workouts a week. 

I will also sit down and plan out a few days of food tomorrow. Excited to use the new cookbook to do it!! 

I may also try for a nap tomorrow. I'm not having crazy afternoon slumps, but I'm still just generally tired! I'm hoping it's just lack of good sleep. When I'm working I tend to only get 5-6 hours a night. 

Keep it up ladies!! We are doing amazing! 

Good Morning, again, everyone!  Got some cozy jammies for tonight and am layered up for the day!  Talked through some remodeling and design ideas with the hubby for our "new" house.  Headed to a home improvement store or 2 as soon as he's ready.  I love doing projects around the house:D

After shopping earlier, I was starving and threw together a weird but delicious breakfast of mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and eggs and fried them up in EVOO - they looked like crab cakes and they were pretty good.  Needed something, maybe onion or something - probably would have been better in coconut oil, too.  I've perused the cookbook and felt a little overwhelmed with fancy recipes and words I didn't know.:huh:  So I hit up Pinterest and http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes.  NomNom has some really good stuff.  I ordered a ricer today and will borrow my moms until it comes - why are those so hard to find?!?!  We are making bison burgers today - YUM!  I've been eating ALOT the last couple days, but not really loving anything I eat.  I am definitely shifting mentally to a completely different use for food - fun vs fuel.  This is such a scattered post, I also made a delicious snack this week of pickles wrapped in sliced turkey - as the holidays approach our local delis even carry the pickle/cream cheese/ham wraps that I love so much, but losing the cream cheese wasn't bad!  Time for another picture today!  Not sure if I'll get a whole body shot today, too - I will have to get assistance as I stink at mirror shots...  

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!  I'm sure I will be back - I've lost my train of thought completely - we are expecting a pile of snow tonight, so I won't be going far!

DAY 20?!?!?B)

@mhemm you have me giggling over here with your scattered post. You sound like me :P

i love nomnom paleo!! 

Another great place for recipes is on Instagram. I follow the whole30 official recipes account and occasionally super easy ones pop up on there too. There are more complex ones as well, but there are literally hundreds of them! 

Hi again!....! It really is DAY 20 guys!!

Everyone seems to be doing well, continuing to work the program. Busy end of the week for me, with a Xmas gathering Fri night and then an early family Xmas on my husband's side later today . Was stressed yesterday as I was out of a lot of compliant food and my packed lunch was a bit sparse .I missed having an ongoing rotation of avocados, those that are ripe/vs those still ripening . Where I live there is only 1 organic store and a limited supply of choices for organic meat  An hour away is a store that is bit better . Seems like many of you are in the states.....how easy is it to find pasture fed and/or organic meat?

Is everyone eating organic or.....I am 20 min away from Pt Huron Michigan, perhaps I should shop over there. At times I find I'm getting kind of turned off meat, and also, is this type of meat stronger tasting? I am finding that  .

Survived the party last night-brought a compliant chopped kale and cabbage salad with green apple, almonds, peppers and onions, that I dressed with a balsamic home made dressing  . People loved it  They cannot believe how incredibly committed I have been to this way of eating . I told them that I also belong to an online group that helps immensely!  

20 days in is deep. I'm not going to falter now....no way, no how  !

Ohhhh, also started my crazy Xmas baking, as I am sending a parcel to Alberta where 1 of my girls is . No devouring the crumbs or cracked pieces this time round . ALMOST licked my fingers a couple of times...

Made a saurkraut dish with the tiny pieces of leftover roast/carrots and mushrooms with bit of beef stock.  Boiled my eggs. Made a chicken dish from the boook with sweet potato and green apple and walnuts with AC vinegar. Washed some lettuce. Have a chunk of salmon to bake for dinner . 

Anyone tried the curry coconut chicken recipe from the book? That's the plan for tomorrow . Stay warm one and all!

@

I'm feeling totally blue today.

I feel better than I did last night. The sore throat is gone. The ear is feeling better, but still hurts. But my stomach feels worse than it has since that first week. Last night I was sure I was getting sick. Now I am not sure *what* is going on. But I'm not wanting to eat anything at all, I have no energy, and I feel super unhappy.

Where did all my drive and enthusiasm disappear to? :(

@Jessica NG  girl, everyone hits that spot at some point. Trixie's advice? Go do something that makes you happy. Read a good book, workout, do a puzzle, turn up the tunes. I would probably pull out my emergency disk. The CD with all my favorite songs. You've got this! Some broth would probably feel good too and a nap! 

Okay. Confession! I'm scared I won't finish the whole30!! 

My husbands company Christmas party happens on day 27!! It's always a big event. The company reserves a conference room at a fancy hotel, its fully catered, they always have a full open bar and they reserve rooms for everyone so we can enjoy ourselves and not have to drive home. 

I know I don't need to drink to have fun. I don't need to eat the catered meal to have fun. BUT at day 27?? Am I going to just cave to the pressure and say screw it,  I'm almost done anyway?? This should not be stressing me out already! It's a week away!! 

4 hours ago, MizRik said:

Okay. Confession! I'm scared I won't finish the whole30!! 

My husbands company Christmas party happens on day 27!! It's always a big event. The company reserves a conference room at a fancy hotel, its fully catered, they always have a full open bar and they reserve rooms for everyone so we can enjoy ourselves and not have to drive home. 

I know I don't need to drink to have fun. I don't need to eat the catered meal to have fun. BUT at day 27?? Am I going to just cave to the pressure and say screw it,  I'm almost done anyway?? This should not be stressing me out already! It's a week away!! 

Rikki, what is your heart's desire on this?

If you truly want to complete your Whole30, you *can* do it. But this is a big deal, and you will need to make a plan. Brains like plans. ;)

Thanks @mhemm and @IronGirlTrixie for the support. I started to feel a little better almost as soon as I read your kind wishes, and I'm definitely feeling mentally better now - still wobbly, but better. My stomach still hurts, my *other* ear is hurting, and I have a nasty headache, but I can deal with bodily ills when my emotions are steady.

From the Whole30 book:

Aren't 28 days just as good as 30?

Um, no. Twenty-eight days is not just as good as 30.

You made a commitment to give yourself 30 full days of Good Food and improved habits. You made a commitment to finish the Whole30, and reintroduce foods in a systematic, deliberate fashion. You made a commitment to changing your life, and the specific commitment you made was to last the full 30 days.

Take these promises seriously. If you cop out now, you're telling yourself that the commitments you make to yourself are open to compromise. You're telling yourself that you are not important enough to honor your promise to you. But that is simply not true.

You are important.

You are worth the promise.

So take a deep breath and say, "No, thank you," and celebrate with a self-five for seeing your commitment through.

@Jessica NG

but I won't be quitting on day 28 like the book talks about..... it would be 27 so that makes it okay right :P:rolleyes:

I even wrote on my tracking calendar the issue of 28 days being a point people wanna quit, I know it's coming and I'm making it worse with this party. 

I really wanna make it through. Fingers crossed I have the strength. 

@MizRik

My advice is to think and reflect upon how you will feel on the day AFTER day 28, if you decide to cut it short. 

You will feel empowered and incredibly strong if  you make it through the Whole30 as you originally planned. You decided to make a commitment to yourself and your body. No fancy dinner, nor free drinks can even come close or rate in comparison to the awesomeness and perseverance you have shown on a daily basis thus far in the Whole30. WOW! 

Could also serve as an example to your kids, about making a decision and following it through to the end.......Remember, when the going gets tough, the tough get going! Be in your power woman!!!

@MizRik - my concern would be how your body would respond to anything non-compliant on the night of the party.  Would it be worth it?  Would you end up in the hotel bathroom for the majority of the night?  Hang in there, hon, and remember that we support you no matter what!  This is your choice 100%!

Day 21!  I honestly never thought I would get here!  My inner mean girl is showing - I can't wait for our family Christmas dinner because I look & feel so different and I am going to be around the same people that gave me SUCH a hard time on day 4 (Thanksgiving).  I can't wait to prance around like the rockstar that I am!B)

We are buried in snow here in Wisconsin and it keeps coming down - I miss hot chocolate a little this weekend...

@CCLaymon - how's the retreat?

Happy Day 21, everyone!  Only 9 to go!:D

10 minutes ago, mhemm said:

@MizRik - my concern would be how your body would respond to anything non-compliant on the night of the party.  Would it be worth it?  Would you end up in the hotel bathroom for the majority of the night?  Hang in there, hon, and remember that we support you no matter what!  This is your choice 100%!

This is an excellent point!  I went off the rails Thanksgiving and had such gastric distress I was up all night.

Thanks for all the wonderful support ladies! I think the things I will remind myself of the most is the risk i run of feeling like crap and not enjoying the night at all, the guilt I will feel the next day for getting so close and not finishing and being able to show my daughter you can finish this. She started with me for fun and stopped on day 4. She is only 10 so I never expected her to finish but it will still be nice to show her it really is possible. 

Bring on day 21!!! I have the next three days off so meal prep and house cleaning are my plans. Oh and Christmas shopping. 

Keep it up ladies!! 

Today's email was perfect!  (they all have been, really)

I have been struggling with my household "chores" and I know I need to find some sort of routine,(I am working full time for the first time in 13 years and just bought a larger house)  but now that I have energy at the end of the day I am becoming more & more frustrated!  I bought this book several years ago and will need to dig it out again and review, but I signed up for the emails right away.  

This was a great link from today's email:http://www.flylady.net/

@AliceV  how are you BAKING?? I love to bake, but I've stayed away from it for now - what great willpower you have!

@mhemm did you get snowed in? If yes, how did you manage the food?

@Jessica NG  I hope you're feeling better today!

@MizRik I have to jump on board with the "YOU CAN DO IT" crowd. You started "no excuses" knowing it would go through the holidays!!  We'll give you an extra dose of support that day!

The last two days have been pretty challenging:

Lunch yesterday, I ordered a crab and shrimp salad with no green goddess dressing, just oil and vinegar. Apparently the salad usually comes as a tower, and they can't make it in a tower unless there is dressing on it. I don't claim to understand. So the waitress really didn't want me to do it. And @MizRik I was tempted, just because it started feeling overwhelming. I finally convinced her I didn't care what it looked like, and she agreed to bring what I asked for.

For dinner we had reservations at a very high end restaurant I had booked pre-Whoe30 decision. That was VERY tough. I ordered a steak, no sauce. They refused, saying they would agree to bring it on the side. Would I also like the herb butter on the side? Yes. And the dressed Caesar salad on the side? Yes. So, I ended up with a naked steak and collard greens, and my husband ate all the parts I couldn't. Oh, I also ordered scallops, and then as they set plate down she immediately poured a cream sauce over the top, so they were out, too.

Lunch today, I went with the ONLY thing I could cobble together on the menu: green salad, no breadcrumbs, no buttermilk dressing, and an order of shrimp cocktail, no cocktail sauce, no tartar sauce. I didn't know about the cocktail sauce, so I decided to avoid it.

For dinner tonight, pork chop, no gravy, and kale.

Here's the thing: I am a big picture person, not a detail person. So the amount of vigilance it takes to execute this on the road is really wearing me down. When I'm at home I make a lot of easy dishes I don't have to thinking about. I will persevere for two more days, but it's been very tempting to just give in. My problem is, if I give in, I will really go to town, and I've come too far to give up now.

My other challenge is that my husband is really not doing this with me, though he said he would. I am not holding him to it, but it's pretty challenging to be doing this on my own. He feels like because he's not eating bread and dessert, that it counts. :D 

So, I'm staying the course, but I will be glad to be home!

Hope everyone is hanging in there, too!

@CCLaymon You are so strong! Keep up the AMAZING work you've done so far. You are being mindful about your eating, conscientious about asking questions to achieve your goals, and beyond flexible. We all know that the exhaustion of a trip by itself would lead any one of us to eating comfort foods until we felt stuffed, let alone taking this trip with our self-imposed dietary restrictions. Just a complete kudos to you-- you deserve it, girl!

Archived