11/28...Ready to Start!

guestdvp

Day 10 Y'ALL!!!  Read that Day 10 is the biggest quit day, so I hope nobody decides to quit -- tiger blood is right around the corner, right?  

NSVs and observations:

• Discovered the awesomeness that is Instant Pot, especially chicken broth, spaghetti squash, HB eggs -- thanks, Amazon Black Friday sale
  • Sleeping, alot.  Not great quality yet because I still wake up in the middle of the night, but averaging over 8 hours of actual sleep
  • The Meal Planner ap is great, I've found some real recipe gems already
  • Tummy is still adjusting to the new menu, rumbly now and again, still feel a little bloated
  • Black coffee is actually good, wish I knew this twenty years ago, I wonder how many calories I might have saved myself?
  • Its alot of work making so many things from scratch -- mayo?  cauliflower rice?  LOL, they are pretty darned good, however.
  • I forgot how delicious raspberries are.

How's everyone else doing?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@H_Annapolis - awesome NSVs and observations!! To make the coconut shrimp I just take raw shrimp (fresh or frozen/thawed) and remove the shells. Then I take two bowls - one with inevitably a leftover egg white from making mayo (a whole egg works fine, too), and another with about a 50/50 mix of coconut flour and unsweetened toasted (raw works fine too) coconut shavings, which I season generously with salt and pepper to offset some of the intrinsic sweet flavor from the coconut. I dip the shrimp into the egg, then dredge them one by one through the coconut breading to make a crust, then lay them gently into a hot skillet with melted coconut oil and cook until golden brown, then flip until cooked through. Mmmmmm.

You guys, I think we're killing this. Day 10 and things are going well. I had thought my face looked less puffy but it's kind of hard to tell because I haven't taken any photos to compare... but yesterday at work a colleague I hadn't seen in a few weeks asked me if I'd lost a bunch of weight. I told her about W30 and looked longingly at the patient scales in the office every time I passed by them... lol. She was excited to hear that I liked my new dietary changes, and was glad to try my homemade mayo eggsalad, said it tasted "fresh." ;)

I *still* didn't get to the market to grocery shop despite my many half-assed attempts, so today I'm going to a protest at one of my jobs. We're picketing about not having had a contract for over five years. Then I have to go to the cemetery and monument company to pay for and order a footstone for my mom's grave. Then after that to the grocery store. I don't know that I'll get to all of the placed I wanted, but I'm fairly sure I can get enough from SAMs club for now.

I've got four tilapia filets defrosting, along with two big chicken breasts. I'm going to make a similar stewed vegetable and chicken meal in the Dutch oven like I did two weeks ago - it was SO good - and serve it over baked potato. With the fish I'm going to do almond crusted tilapia again. I'm baking about ten small and two large Yukon gold potatoes as we speak. And I just finished a batch of mayo, which I may make another of later if I think I might need it over the next couple days. I have two pounds of Brussels sprouts that I'm going to sauté with garlic, and in my stewed chicken meal I'm going to put carrots, celery, onions, and crushed tomatoes, and if I still have it, fresh parsley. Not sure what other veggies I will do - maybe steamed green beans, and I still have some roasted butternut squash left. Fats will be avocado, black olives, and green manzanilla olives. And with that, I will have plenty to choose from with which to construct my meals for several days!

For my husband I'm going to make two quiches with broccoli, ham and cheese... I need to make some room in my freezer for w30 compliant foods and the ingredients for the quiches are taking up too much space! :lol:

10 hours ago, H_Annapolis said:

Day 10 Y'ALL!!!  Read that Day 10 is the biggest quit day, so I hope nobody decides to quit -- tiger blood is right around the corner, right?  

NSVs and observations:

• Discovered the awesomeness that is Instant Pot, especially chicken broth, spaghetti squash, HB eggs -- thanks, Amazon Black Friday sale
  • Sleeping, alot.  Not great quality yet because I still wake up in the middle of the night, but averaging over 8 hours of actual sleep
  • The Meal Planner ap is great, I've found some real recipe gems already
  • Tummy is still adjusting to the new menu, rumbly now and again, still feel a little bloated
  • Black coffee is actually good, wish I knew this twenty years ago, I wonder how many calories I might have saved myself?
  • Its alot of work making so many things from scratch -- mayo?  cauliflower rice?  LOL, they are pretty darned good, however.
  • I forgot how delicious raspberries are.

How's everyone else doing?

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have premade cauliflower rice. 

Im doing good. There is so much junk in our office kitchen right now but I'm able to pass knowing it's not part of the plan right now. Cookies will be there next year. 

Its just so empowering to do this in Dec rather than Jan. 

Cooking a ton. Usually use leftover for lunch. 

What Meal Planner App?

Cheers!

Howdy all!

B'fast:  apple & a pear (I was on the run this am.)

Lunch: Steak salad; passed up the bread with room temp butter at lunch; not too bad

Dinner:  Chicken Thighs with Artichokes, Beets, Lemon & Olives

http://soletshangout.com/crispy-chicken-skillet-with-artichokes-beets-lemon-olives/

I don't have any compliant chicken broth so may use water.

Watching football tonight (Go Chiefs!) and have been thinking about red wine.  We aren't entertaining anyone & I don't think husband will be drinking so that is helpful.  But I do love wine.  

Cheers everyone!

I just signed up for overtime tomorrow to work a half shift and switch off with a coworker midday, so I'll be working 7am to 1:30pm or thereabouts, which means I have to pack at least a breakfast with me. Home is a quick 6 minute drive from work, so I can go home and eat my second meal. Was planning to sleep in and then do a little cooking but the overtime is important too, so there I am.

Today was weird. I overslept and was actually late for work (incredibly embarrassing since it's shift work and we have to provide handoff to the oncoming shift. So when someone is late, it delays the previous person from completing their handoff and ultimately from getting home) because I shut off my alarm clock or something without knowing. I do remember setting it last night. Before I left I made sure to pack a HUGE amount of the stewed chicken and veggies I made last night in the Dutch oven along with two medium roasted Yukon gold potatoes, plus an avocado, a grapefruit, and two clementines. Because of my work assignment, I was not able to take a breakfast break, so all I could have was tea and water until after 2pm. I was pretty hungry at that point, but I still avoided the donuts sitting right in front of my face at the workstation. I did get lots of water in but really wish I'd been able to eat something... maybe I should carry a bar or something with me so that I can at least nibble if this comes up again. When I ate I was surprised at how much I ate (not as much as I was thinking I'd eat). And now I'm getting hungry so can't wait to eat dinner as soon as I get home. Probably four eggs fried in coconut oil, some steamed string beans, and some mayo to dip. Yum.

It's getting hard for me to figure out what day I'm on now and I'm finding I have to count on my fingers. And with that, I also find that resisting temptations (such as those workplace donuts that always seem to find themselves right in front of my face wafting their magical smells into my olfactory nerve) are a little bit easier. Not *easy* per se, but easier than before.

How is everyone else doing?

• Moderators

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings If you can (but didn't) eat donuts at the desk howcome you can't eat your breakfast?  Is it the smell? Is it that they didn't give you enough time to go to your locker to get your food?  It seems arbitrary that you can eat donuts but not real food... I get that you didn't get an actual break but can you eat while you work?

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings If you can (but didn't) eat donuts at the desk howcome you can't eat your breakfast?  Is it the smell? Is it that they didn't give you enough time to go to your locker to get your food?  It seems arbitrary that you can eat donuts but not real food... I get that you didn't get an actual break but can you eat while you work?

I can't really eat while I work - I'm a nurse in a hospital and work in the trauma intensive care unit. We really aren't allowed to be eating in patient care areas, including our desks, which are actually just a little laptop computer on wheels which sits in front of the patient's room. The donuts were on the counter behind me. Every time someone opened the box, the smell flew into my nostrils to tempt me. If I had chosen to eat a donut, I'd be eating something I don't choose to be eating right now, with my fingers, in a patient care area, which isn't allowed but is often overlooked because "it's just a donut" or "it's just a cookie" or whatever the goodie might be that someone brought in to share. So I can't really eat while I'm working. But then there's the issue of breaks.

I'll never know if I'll get a break or not. According to federal and state labor laws, I do get a break. But according to how sick my patient(s) might be, I may or may not be able to leave their bedside for the entire twelve and a half hour shift. Often I can take at least 20 minutes and sit down away from my patient(s) and eat, but that can come at any time... totally unpredictably, even as late as 4 or 5pm. Sometimes I can take an hour break and eat my entire meal during a real break at a normal time (normal being between 1 and 3pm). And sometimes I just can't. It really depends on what's happening on the unit and with the people I'm caring for.

So I suppose if I had hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks or pepper strips, and olives or something, I could have possibly kept them in my bag or pocket and snuck some since they're finger foods, but usually I bring tupperwares with prepared fish or meat, roast or sautéed veggies, or a kind of stew or something. So, food that takes more effort to eat than simple finger foods.

This unpredictability is something I've dealt with the entire time I've been a nurse. I know it's not the best setup, but it's my reality at work.

1 hour ago, BornToBeHappy said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravingsway to flex that resistance muscle!!

140977D9-F92C-44CB-9444-EBB9C70616F6-2209-00000398DD4C200D_tmp.png

OMG those guys are too much. The one in the shiny turquoise G-string looks like he needs to have a bowel movement, and the guy with the brown G-string on looks like he's celebrating that he just finished with one! :P

On 12/7/2016 at 11:51 AM, H_Annapolis said:

Hi Shelby, are things better today?

Thanks so much for checking in! I am over my sickness Praise the Lord and things are feeling a little easier but I have been sooo hungry these last couple days. (today is day 13)

I did feel very successful last night however when we had our church small group over to our house (people always bring a cheap meal to share) and someone brought pizza. I had planned ahead and already eaten, but I was just dying over the smell. I instinctively grabbed a Lara bar, then made one lap around the kitchen, put it back in the pantry and snacked on some baby carrots while they ate instead! That felt like a serious victory for me :)

I am a teacher and tomorrow I am helping with a school theater production with two shows in one day - 2:30 and 7. I'm going to have to get pretty creative on the snacks/meals I bring to get me through the day.

What are yall's thoughts on almond butter? I've been avoiding it so far, but it seems it might be a good pairing for an apple or carrots to hold me over longer.thoughts?

Shelby :)

• Moderators

if you're hungry between meals, you're better off having a mini meal of protein and fat and ideally veggies and skipping the fruit and nut/nut butter combo. It's compliant but can cause further cravings, keep your sugar dragon alive and nuts and their products are notoriously hard on the digestion.

Ideally your meals will get you 4-5 hours between... if they're not, definitely eat something but then take note and bump up your portions for future meals until you're getting those 4-5 hours between.

@shelblandrum Way to go on the pizza!  I have stayed away from almond butter b/c I can see that getting out of control for me.  

B'fast sweet potato with spinach & a slice of sugar free bacon. Pear.

Lunch: leftover pulled pork over a baked potaot

Dinner:  leftover chicken thighs from last night.  Also a small salad.  

Two parties tomorrow - one for lunch & dinner.  I plan on eating my lunch & dinner before going to both parties & enjoying the company of my friends.  I plan to bring two fizzy waters with me to both events.  

Making chili for my lunches next week.  Also will do some meal prep for dinners.  

The Chiefs won last night.  They don't play again for another 10 days on which I will be on Day 21.  Very excited about that.  I have tickets to the game but may just watch at home (so much easier to be on plan).  

Have a great Friday people!

Came home and son was pulling mozzarella cheese sticks out of the oven -- arrrrgh!  They smell good!  But I'm not blowing my plan for a lousy cheese stick!   Pistachio pesto with spaghetti squash and chicken for dinner instead.  

@SugarcubeOD  I started to add a small fruit with breakfast and lunch, and that seems to help hold me until the next meal.  Small things like raspberries, blueberries, grapefruit.  Thats OK to do, right?

@H_Annapolis as long as the fruit is part of a meal and not added as a snack or dessert, it should be ok. The recommendation is up to two servings of fruits per day if desired, as long as they are part of a meal. Good job for realizing that it helps keep you satisfied longer-- berries and other fruits can be such a good source of fiber, likely why you're able to stay fuller longer. And yum!

I'm having some weird sleeping patterns lately due to poor sleep hygiene and its making me upset that I'm not choosing to make better decisions about something so important. I am choosing to eat so well, why am I not choosing to sleep well too? I'm hoping this weekend will be a bit of a sleep reset so that by Monday morning ill be feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready for my third week of w30. I also had a weird dream about being noncompliant where I was eating slices of processed cheese like Kraft singles and was flipping them into my mouth somehow in a way as if I were dealing playing cards. It was a lot of cheese and I woke up thinking what the heck-- it wasn't even anything good like pasta or Brie lol.

Im also coming to some food boredom and its causing me to feel not that hungry... Something I've rarely experienced in my life lol. So today I tried a new recipe and made a version of the salmon cakes using a can of sockeye salmon, some chopped carrots and cauliflower, the leftover almond meal and eggs from making almond crusted tilapia, a whole egg, and some old bay seasoning. They came out looking like little hockey pucks but aren't too bad-- crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. A little too salty for my tastes but ill eat them so I don't waste. 

I wanted to post a photo of dinner last night and dinner tonight but I'm posting from my cellphone and the website won't let me. Maybe later as I know I find people's food photos inspiring and wonder if mine can help other people too. The first is of eggs fried in coconut oil with string beans and artichoke hearts (not pictured is the mayo i ate it with), the second is almond crusted tilapia with artichoke hearts, avocado, one salmon puck (lol), and some steamed yellow and orange carrots with cauliflower and broccoli. Didn't snap a photo of breakfast or lunch which were both veggie chicken stew with avocado and yukon gold potatoes. Wondering what I'm going to cook tomorrow to prepare for the week-- it's always a little adventure and makes me so happy and excited. I'm so glad I love to cook!

I didn't know it was limited to 2 fruits a day. I have been eating more than that. I'm not sure I want to give it up. Small confession: I quit smoking the same day a I started Whole 30 (been a long time non-smoker & went on vacation in March and started again - dumb). So I eat apples in the car as a smoking replacement. Hmmmm. 

Bfast: Sweet potato & egg over easy

lunch: grapes & roasted chicken thighs

dinner: crock pot chili. Different than the recipe I used earlier. Mini potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Mushrooms in the mix as well. Excited for the leftovers for work lunches this week. 

Conquered 2 parties last night. I did fill my glass with the signature cocktail - cranberry & vodka at the party last night. Filled the rest of my glass with my fizzy water. So it wasn't perfect but I resisted everything else so I don't feel terrible. I know I should start over but I'm not going to. 

Hope everyone is great!

Aimee

@BornToBeHappy  I think you did great!! 

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings  You nailed it with your observation about enjoying cooking  -- if its not your thing, this program could be overwhelming. 

I tried coconut shrimp with pina colada dip -- my overall impression was that it was too sweet and not very healthy.  The dip with a big ole shot of rum sure would've been good! :P

Tonight we're having CI's pressure cooker pulled pork recipe, sans the brown sugar (subbed with boiled cider) on sweet potato planks. 

I'm getting pretty tired of eggs, but they really do hold me well until lunch.

14 days behind us!

On 12/6/2016 at 8:33 AM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

@Sieb To make that fish (also works for chicken, thin cut pork, etc.) I just made an egg wash out of leftover egg white from my mayo - beat a small amount of salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper into the egg white and set it into a rectangular Tupperware. It didn't look like a lot but was fine for four filets. Then in another rectangular Tupperware I put almond meal that I'd gotten from Trader Joes (I know you can also buy it online from bulk online retailers, or make it yourself - which then could control how grainy it is. A little chunkier might be nice.) and added onion and garlic powders and Old Bay (read the package to make sure it's compliant in your region) seasoning to taste. I melted a glob of coconut oil and added some olive oil into a low nonstick pan and got that hot. Then I just dipped the fish into the egg to coat, let it drip a little, plunked it into the seasoned almond meal, coated both sides generously, and then transferred to the hot pan and let cook until it browned up just a little, then flipped and did the same for the other side. SO DELICIOUS!!! I do the same with a mix of coconut flour and unsweetened coconut shavings to make coconut shrimp, coconut fish, etc. That is also really REALLY good.

THANK YOU!!!  i am so excited to try this. I wasn't reading or posting last week so I am just getting to this now. But so excited to do this.

Archived