Hanging out in the Corner

DeeRT

Hi all,

My name is DeeRT.  I have been lurking in the corner, posting the odd thread, for a couple of weeks now.  I am just about done It Starts With Food, and will proceed with the Whole30 book next.  The cookbook is on my Christmas list.

I am a 42 year old mother of 2 (ages 6 & 10), and have been a shift worker for 16 years, which is going to be the death of me.

Problems include 2 severely arthritic knees (trying to put off replacements until 50), frequent migraines, asthma, various seasonal allergies, and a constantly upset tummy.  Yes, I'm overweight.  Family history includes a father dead at 49 from a massive heart attack, and a mother who dealt with high BP/cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, chronic renal failure on dialysis for the last few years of her life, massive heart attack, stage 4 colon cancer, and died of 2 consecutive strokes on her 70th bday.  You see what I'm dealing with?  I am a ticking time bomb.

At this time of year, it's hard to take the W30 plunge...with Christmas coming up, and then leaving on a cruise Jan 6.  Doing W30 on a cruise seems impossible, and frankly, I don't think I would even want to try it.

So here I am, gathering tools and arming myself with knowledge.  I have switched out my cooking oils for coconut....tried ghee, but the smell & taste make me gag.  I've stopped eating a Second Cup muffin every morning I work.  I have embraced beef again, although grass fed is not only difficult to find, it's way out of my price range.  

Thank you for all the info and support...I am determined to not continue my parents' legacy.

DeeRT

Dear DeeRT,

I wish you well. It is going to be hard work, but most things worthwhile (like learning to play the piano) require hard work. Just keep practicing. As far as the cruise goes, you can think of it as an opportunity to make good choices rather than the devil-of-temptation pulling  you down. So much of it has to do with how we look at things.

Here is an article that I found which may be of some help.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1517

Good luck and have fun!

OncoWarrior

I think being on a cruise will work in your favor.  I have Celiac Disease, and if you make a practice of eating in the formal dining room, the crew is amazingly accommodating -- even asking your preference for the next meal.  Tip these guys well at then end -- they deserve it!

You are doing great prep work. Have you considered trying a whole 7 while you are preparing for Christmas and your cruise? Or even a whole 3/4/5 whatever? It can be interesting to try it out so that you'll know a little more of what it will be like after you're home from traveling.

And I agree with the others- the cruise will be a really good chance to practice good decision making. Rather than gorging on alcohol and desserts every day, try to ask yourself if it is reeeaaallly worth it as a special food you will never get to see again. If so, the. Go ahead and enjoy, but remember that maybe a bite or two is all you'll need to enjoy rather than eating the whole thing. I went on a cruise in October and did exactly this. I wasn't on a whole 30 at the time (had already completed two and hadn't yet started my third) but it really helped me keep myself in check. And in the end I didn't gain weight or feel like a gluttonous mess the way I've felt after cruises in the past.

Good luck!

Thank you - great suggestions.  

That article posted by OncoWarrior was very good - I'm going to pack it as a reminder.

And NoMoreCrunchyCravings - I hadn't even thought of the idea of a Whole7 or whatever!  I didn't even know that was "allowed"!  Lol!  But I guess it's not jail!

I am going to do a Whole-however-many-days-it-is-until-Dec-24 and see how it goes.  Shopping tomorrow - start date Monday Dec 12.  

Thanks again!  I'll keep everyone posted!

Archived