Snack ideas for kids and husband

Arwenivere

First off, we definitely fall into the category of "can't afford to lose any weight" which I just read in the book means we need to snack somewhat. Also, my husband has fibromylagia, and if his blood sugar gets too low he can't function, (something I'm hoping Whole30 will improve). He needs things that are as easy as possible to put together for himself and our children. I'm at work most of the day, but will try to get as much prepped as I can. So, I'm looking for kid friendly snack ideas.

• Moderators

You might want to look into something like a weekly cookup -- here's a basic explanation, and here's an actual one-week meal plan (for just two people) using that method. It means a fair amount of time in the kitchen on the weekend, but then most of the stuff during the week is just reheating. Something like that might help. That's not so much snack ideas as just a way to hopefully not feel like you're spending all day, every day in the kitchen.

Snack wise, it's best if you try to make sure snacks are some combination of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three, and even though you're eating between meals, do be sure none of you are just wandering through the kitchen grabbing handfuls of stuff, grazing throughout the day -- the need to eat more doesn't mean you get to eat mindlessly. Meatballs, hard boiled eggs, tuna or chicken salad, pre-chopped vegetables, jars of olives, containers of premade guacamole (Wholly Guacamole brand makes some compliant ones), leftovers, pre-cooked roasted vegetables that can be eaten hot or cold are all good options. You could give them something like unsweetened almond butter or sunbutter with celery, lettuce leafs wrapped around leftover meat, or there are a ton of kid-friendly ideas here (not sure all are 100% Whole30).

Since you can't afford to lose any weight, do focus on getting at least the minimum amount on the meal template at each of your three main meals -- don't be afraid to eat to the upper end of the ranges listed or even more if you need to. That's probably more important than snacking, although if you are hungry or feel that you still aren't getting enough at meals, definitely eat when you need to. Here's an article about keeping weight on during Whole30, which probably is covered by what you've read in the book, but just in case it mentions anything that wasn't.

Archived