2nd whole 30 January 2

JenHZ

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting on Jan 2 also. I have been doing Paleo but no losing as much as I would like and I am starting to see more of my unhealthy obcessions with food coming back as I use things like honey or bake paleo brownies and have stevia in my tea. I need to be stricter and do a reset to truly see the health benefits. I'm in!

Hey JenHZ,

Similarly, I am also starting my second Whole30 on January 2nd with my husband who has never done this before.  I'm trying to get him to do all the research - just like I had to - so he can be fully prepared and committed to the journey.

Doing anything different this time around?  I actually signed up for the forum and intend to post and interact with others on here and on Facebook (I didn't do that my first time around).

I'm excited that your spouse chose to do this with you!

Hi I'm Casey. This will be my second go around too... or third if I count a couple that didn't quite make it to 30 days..... I had wonderful results over the several months I was either on, or mostly compliant and really can't wait to get back to the vibrant feelings I was starting to have.

My birthday is next Friday, so I'm a little worried but I want to jump in ahead of that because I'm so sick of the holiday junk food and can't seem to do anything in moderation.  I actually really like whole 30 food so I'm sure I can find compliant ways to celebrate.   

My other goal is to do a better re-introduction this time ... and honestly just stay whole 30 + safe reintroduced foods for as long as possible. 

Hi all great to have support.

We are not going to try to go out to eat this round.  we know we can do it with lots of prep but  we  find that negates the  convenience of going out.  I do find what I crave most on w30 is not specific foods but convenience.  so I am going to focus on how to make making, buy, and packing along my own food more convenient.  But not boring!

I plan to crock pot at least once a week, and sometimes twice a week.

Hi :) I'm Mike.  This will be my 2nd Whole30.  First was Feb '15.  Lost 30+ pounds and learned a lot.

I went to old habits as time went by and gained back 20 or so pounds.  Biggest culprit is convenience and bored with the recipes I learned.

Bought the Whole30 cookbook but didn't read it!  Looking forward to picking up new skills and recipes, and friends :)

I'm 47, married  with 3 young kids.

Good luck everyone.

22 hours ago, CaseyP said:

My birthday is next Friday, so I'm a little worried but I want to jump in ahead of that because I'm so sick of the holiday junk food and can't seem to do anything in moderation.  I actually really like whole 30 food so I'm sure I can find compliant ways to celebrate.   

Glad you are taking the opportunity to be on track before your birthday.  As Drew Carey said after his dramatic weight loss, “Eating crappy food isn't a reward -- it's a punishment.”

Lots of different metaphors can be used regarding food, like fuel and nourishment, as opposed to a reward.  The focus of celebration can be about the friends and family you share it with, the time you spend together creating memories, etc.  Yes, "food happens" at most events we participate in, but the rigor of a Whole30 prepares us to not be distracted.

So are any of you prepping today?  We are going to make broth and maybe mayo.  I am wondering how long veggies keep once they are cut.

I really hope to loose weight or gain energy this round.  I did loose 5 pounds first round but gained that  back since.  And I never got any tiger blood feelings.

Also going to concentrate on keeping up exercise throughout.

Happy Whole30 Everyone!!

I love hearing about what everyone has learned from their first time and what they plan to do differently, it's very inspiring :)

I am also going to try to incorporate as much physical activity as possible this time around.  I've lost 60 pounds in the past two years, but I've done almost no toning or strength building.  I also want to try to focus on decreasing the addictive behaviors surrounding food - for example, eating only when hungry and moderating how much fruit I consume.

I'm so glad we're all here!

I'm going to put some victories form round one here to remind me why  do this again

.  I really appreciated not having blood sugar crashes.  - I've pretty much maintained this.  It is so helpful in keeping mental  calm too

My knee and ankle joints are feeling better. _ I don't' even remember that they hurt before!

My patience and stress have not improved as much as I hoped but overall I am more patient. - hum nto sure that one stuck

I improved already decent cooking skills to the point my spouse commented on  that.  I tried new  foods, many of which I liked especially turnips and rutabagas. 

I got even better at planning meals.

My spouse has agreed to do more of the cooking so we can keep eating like this and came up with a plan on how to do that, will cook at night as stays up anyway. _ want to re-Up on all those things.

I still need to work on:

Eating vegetables, try new ones, and don't skimp at afternoon "snack" time.

I have planned some last minute meals  with staples

Proteins: can salmon, compliant sausage in freezer, eggs, also ground meat in freezer

Fats always here, frozen veg and even frozen potatoes. 

Not scrambled eggs since I do eat them for breakfast but poached with lemony mayo, also mayo and salmon warmed up, onions with sausage

I always have great plans to cook but some days just get derailed.  I will try to take a 15 minute break and then put away my mess and make a simple dinner and Appreciate it.

Day 1 good so far though lunch was too small.

Thanks for the Round One victories, JenHZ... I also have been rehearsing my victories of last time to remind myself that I really do want to do this.....

Less puffiness in my face

Less Sinus congestion

No tension in my neck and shoulders

No stomach and intestinal issues!

Better sleep/needing less sleep

Feeling more in control of life in general

I did a lot of chopping and prepping yesterday but more needs to be done. Chopping meat and veggies on Sundays to have in fridge was my saving grace last time and this time I've actually cooked some and put in freezer.   

All that said, I was freezing today and had coffee with cream and sugar.    :(  So tomorrow will be day one for me.  

Thank you JenHZ and CaseyP for sharing your victories - they reminded me of a few of mine that I had forgotten :)

My victories from my first round were:

• Less gastrointestinal distress
  • Less blemishes
  • More energy throughout the day 
  • No more midday crash
  • Better sleep
  • I learned how to cook (that one was huge!)
  • Less cravings for sugar and a decrease in addictive food behavior altogether

Because I had the day off, today was my prep day with my husband and we're armed with quick and easy protein for the week.

CaseyP, don't fret.  Just get back on the horse and try again, you can do it! 

Today will be a challenge as I have lots of business to do that has stacked up over the holidays.  last month it would have been punctuated with mochas and lunch out.  Today I do plan on once cup of good coffee out and come home for lunch.  I may get a manicure if I get done at a reasonable hour.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, JenHZ said:

So are any of you prepping today?  We are going to make broth and maybe mayo.  I am wondering how long veggies keep once they are cut.

I really hope to loose weight or gain energy this round.  I did loose 5 pounds first round but gained that  back since.  And I never got any tiger blood feelings.

Also going to concentrate on keeping up exercise throughout.

What is tiger blood feelings?

Hello, folks.  Need some help:  Yesterday was my first day on my first W30.  I'm T2 diabetic (well controlled), and at bedtime my blood sugar was 84--way too low.  Problem was, I couldn't bring it back up again eating Whole30.  Dinner was roast chicken with leeks (recipe from Whole30 cookbook) with green beans and broccoli slaw.  Later I was eating lots of the broccoli slaw salad (has raisins in it), but it didn't help enough.  I finally had a tiny bit of cereal with milk, and that did the trick.

Any suggestions to prevent this happening again?  This worries me.

Archived