First Timer

mamabear2

This is my first time even hearing about the Whole30 program! I have purchased the kindle version of the Whole30 book and am trying to make my grocery list out so that I can get started January 1! I am VERY overweight (have 100 pounds to lose to get to my "ideal" weight, but I'd be happy losing 50-80. I live a super busy lifestyle, but not super active, although we (my husband and I) did join a gym! My husband is somewhat on board with the whole30 (basically he'll eat what I cook, but won't be as strict as I will be). I also have PCOS so I am hoping to feel MUCH better by the end of my first 30 days! I'm nervous and overwhelmed, but excited to get started!

I did my grocery shopping today for two weeks. I am completely overwhelmed! I feel like I could never be "prepared" enough though, so I am still jumping in! I decided to start Monday instead of tomorrow though so I can have black eye peas tomorrow for good luck for 2017 lol

Hi!  How did it go today?  Starting out can definitely be overwhelming but I promise you will get used to it and even start to LIKE all the shopping and prepping!!!  It took me several false starts my first time, and actually it's taken a few do-overs this time around too, so don't get discouraged.   I love Melissa Joulwan's take on food prep... (Nicely explained here: http://sustainabledish.com/whole30-paleo-meal-planning-101-melissa-joulwan/  on Sustainable Dish) For me, it's her "Mini Cookup" near the bottom of the page that works best....  it looks like cutting up tons of veggies..... carrots, cabbage, kale, sweet potatoes, etc about once a week and putting them in fridge in containers so when I go to fix a meal, three-quarters of the work is already done.  She actually recommends partially cooking the heartier varieties so they can basically be just warmed up.  You don't have to strain over recipes... I just throw in a pan (or a salad, or soup base) whatever sounds good along with whatever spices hit my fancy at the moment.  

You can get a free sample of her cookbook, which also has all this explained, plus a few good recipes,  here if you haven't already seen it:  http://meljoulwan.com/well-fed-ebook-sampler/

Archived