Starting January 4!!!!

Beth Adams

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! I have not been able to quit sugar or lose weight. I lose weight and then gain it back. I often just don't f eel good. My blood sugar is too high and my cholesterol is creeping up. :( 

I'm going to float the Grand Canyon for two weeks in April and I want to feel good and move fast.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Beth! I'll be right behind you on January 5th! I did my first Whole30 November 2015 and I want to use it to focus on mindful eating. 

I also want to drink adequate amounts of water--my biggest challenge, LOL  

If you follow the template for your meals and eat plenty of protein, vegetables and fat I bet you'll see a positive change in both your blood sugar and energy levels. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Hello! I'm starting on Jan. 4 too. Glad to see there are others to connect with! This will be my third whole30. I picked up some lifelong behaviors after my previous two (mainly getting rid of sugar). I'm in Austin, TX. Happy new year and I'll check back in on day one!

I'm starting on January 3rd! I'm looking forward to kicking my sugar/wine addiction. Speaking of addiction, I am freaked out about my morning coffee. I know cream is out, I have tried coconut cream in the past and didn't enjoy it. I was wondering if ghee/coconut oil (blended and whipped up) would be okay. I have had coffee this way and truly liked it. Can't find anything on the forums about this in my coffee. I feel like it's all that I can think about.

40 minutes ago, jrzyjane said:

I'm starting on January 3rd! I'm looking forward to kicking my sugar/wine addiction. Speaking of addiction, I am freaked out about my morning coffee. I know cream is out, I have tried coconut cream in the past and didn't enjoy it. I was wondering if ghee/coconut oil (blended and whipped up) would be okay. I have had coffee this way and truly liked it. Can't find anything on the forums about this in my coffee. I feel like it's all that I can think about.

Ghee is fine as a fat. So is coconut oil. So yes, you can put the in your coffee BUT you should also treat that coffee and those fats as part of a meal, following the template guidelines.

The bigger issue would be to consider your relationship with coffee creamers and look at your Whole30 as a great opportunity to make friends with black coffee. It would be preferable, unless you're nursing, to have those fats as part of the meal on your plate. 

Getting ready for tomorrow! I'll do some prep today and also go ahead and figure out my meals for tomorrow. I made the nomnompaleo curried cauliflower yesterday and it was delicious. Coffee and wine will be my issues. I always take my coffee with almond milk and sweetener, so switching to black is not something I enjoy, but I understand why it's important. Good luck everyone!

On 12/31/2016 at 3:09 PM, jrzyjane said:

For my first Whole 30 I had a hard time giving up so many things, so started out making my own coffee "creamer" with compliant coconut milk and dates. The creamer lasts about a week and is so good! There are a ton of recipes online but I used this one without the vanilla: http://www.runningwithspoons.com/2015/05/01/dairy-free-coffee-creamer/

Rachelewinfield, thank you! I whipped that coffee creamer right up sans the vanilla as pure vanilla extract contains alcohol. On my next batch I will pick up some whole vanilla beans and use that. Thank you! I wasn't really enjoying the ghee/coconut oil combo (however I hear it's great for brain health!).

@rachelewinfield I'm not trying to burst your bubble but sweetened "coffee creamers" are not allowed on Whole30. :( That includes sweetened with dates, as in the recipe you linked. You can read about coffee creamers here:

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

. . . sugary creamer substitutes fall under the SWYPO rule. Instead, we’d encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor?

You can have the creamy substitute (almond milk, coconut milk, etc).

Again, Whole30 is a great opportunity to reset our relationship with food, including discovering that we can indeed live without thing we thought we had to have. :)

I'm in!  I feel called to do a second W30, and starting tomorrow will be just perfect. A couple of minor setbacks have really dragged me down lately and I've allowed it to happen. I've been eating poorly, wasting time on my tablet rather than doing the things I love, and staying in the house whining about the weather.  This is not me.    

Beth, I also have a trip planned for April, and I know I'll enjoy it more if I feel stronger and healthier.  

This is the morning of day 2. I feel really great. I don't think I have eaten three meals a day in such a long time. I cook for a living so it's usually tastes all day and then a great big pig out in the evening. Feeling great about not having my nightly glass of wine and my nightly dose of sugar. Looking forward to the next few weeks. Used coconut cream in my coffee today and it was meh but doable. 

Many comments here resonate with and inspire me.  My relationship with food has degenerated way too far.  I did a Whole30 several years ago and it was amazing.  Need to start again and stay the course.  Why not today?  I have a fridge full of compliment food that I prepared Sunday.  Here we go.  Great group.  

We are starting, too, as I got an alarming physical from the doctor -- BP out of control (even with Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide!), 50 lbs. overweight and borderline diabetic all caused by excessive drinking.  Well, the party's over as I hit the other side of 50.  Cleaning out the fridge this week of all the foodstuffs.  Unloaded the dishwasher this morning packed with nothing but tupperware!  I give myself six months before beach week - to look like I should be able to wear a bathing suit in public.

Good luck to all as we take this journey together!!

Good day 1.  I have a cold and made some chicken soup this afternoon.  Packing my lunch for tomorrow.  I am grateful and reminding myself to stay humble and committed...and to ignore the voice in my head tomorrow telling me it isn't worth it.  It is worth it.  Here is a link to the chicken soup recipe:  http://whole30.com/2011/02/stm-feed-a-cold/

Hi!  I too started the 4th.  Weight creeping up, wine and cholesterol issues.  sigh.  I enjoyed day one because it felt like I was taking control and not just whining (wine-ing)? to myself.  I think the cooking will be hardest for me.  I spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning yesterday.  Hopefully I can get some emergency leftovers going...  I also really do like my glass of wine in the evening.  ....any suggestions?

Chicken soup is a good idea for today - thanks for that inspiration, Hawk. Karene, the attachment to the evening glass of wine is shared by many - I sometimes drink tea in the evening and a current favorite is Celestial Seasonings Gingerbread Spice with extra ginger and turmeric powder. it is warming and spicy and gives my taste buds something other than wine to think about. But I think that at the heart of it, I have to really believe that learning non-attachment to evening wine or anything else that has me "hooked" is its own reward.  It's just freedom, really, that I'm after.  

47 minutes ago, karene said:

Hi!  I too started the 4th.  Weight creeping up, wine and cholesterol issues.  sigh.  I enjoyed day one because it felt like I was taking control and not just whining (wine-ing)? to myself.  I think the cooking will be hardest for me.  I spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning yesterday.  Hopefully I can get some emergency leftovers going...  I also really do like my glass of wine in the evening.  ....any suggestions?

I have been missing my glass of wine too! I have replaced it with herbal peppermint tea. Doesn't really compare but I have felt great waking up the past 3 days knowing that I didn't have my wine.

Hawk: Thanks for the chicken soup idea. Cold weather coming and it sounds easy and flexible. My day one went well, even though I thought about my meals constantly and was so hungry for dinner. I fought through the snacking urge! One thing I want to change from my previous Whole30 was to try to not have the same breakfast every day. Last time my go-to was sauteed kale, eggs and avocado, and by the time I ended, I was so burnt out on kale. I like the tea idea for us wine drinkers! I'll try that, along with some yoga and reading. Happy day two everyone!

Hawk: Thanks for the chicken soup idea. Cold weather coming and it sounds easy and flexible. My day one went well, even though I thought about my meals constantly and was so hungry for dinner. I fought through the snacking urge! One thing I want to change from my previous Whole30 was to try to not have the same breakfast every day. Last time my go-to was sauteed kale, eggs and avocado, and by the time I ended, I was so burnt out on kale. I like the tea idea for us wine drinkers! I'll try that, along with some yoga and reading. Happy day two everyone!

Hello all! This is an interesting group!

Today is Day 1 for me. I arrived home last night or rather this morning about 12:30 AM to four inches of snow and an unplowed airport parking lot. I was in Floriday on Indian Rocks beach near St Pete for seven days with my youngest daughter, so today is my reentry into Whole30 and also my first day back at school for the spring semester of teaching (university/art-foundation design-creative thinking).

I'm just glad I got up when I needed to this morning and that I actually ate breakfast within one hour!

As for the rest of my food day, all you need to know is that I WON'T be posting photos of beautifully plated food or regaling you with complicated recipes. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook because I love to eat, but for now, I'm just focusing on the simplest meals possible and on fueling my activities, especially my studio work.. My weekly "prep" consists of mayo, clarified butter and the occasional frittata, and I am the master/mistress of getting home from water exercise and getting dinner on the table in 30 minutes, tops. Sometimes 20.

Before I left town I used a WholeFoods gift certificate and stocked up on some things including TWO of their "Tuesday chickens." Tuesday is the day their rotisserie chicken is $2 off and I bought two of the suckers, hacked them in half and froze the four halves. One of the halves has been thawing today, so dinner is practically done.

I was thinking this morning about "appetite" and how easy it is to mistake what we are really hungry for . . . . Yes, this can apply to food and to life. :)

And yes, I drank NO water today. I guess I'll go drink a couple of glasses and try my best to hydrate this evening.

Archived