ADHD success stories?

XOMamas

Not with my kids (I'm 16, so no kids) but I did a mostly on track Whole30 in 2015 and found it much easier to concentrate. On a diet called Feingold my mom put me on when I was 9, the removal of artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives helped a lot with my ADHD. Since Whole30 is focusing on real foods, these are removed by default. Just make sure you do the reintroduction for Whole30 correctly, and maybe consider not reintroducing artificial colours at all.

I know a few parents who have seen great ADHD results through removal of gluten, dairy and even preservative 282 (aka Calcium Propionate - often in bread products and flour, you will not be excited to find out it's used in manufacturing as a mould retardant, ugh :wacko: ).

Preservative 282 is a fairly recent mainstream additive in Australia and gets quite a bit of coverage in the media here as at certain times, it was almost impossible to get bread or flour without it and for some people (including children), the reaction can be extreme. http://fedup.com.au/information/fin-campaigns/bread-preservative-research

Also, SWYPO does not apply to kids :)

I've read of MCT oil (a coconut oil derivative) being used to help with ADHD. It's not meant to be cooked with, but if you wanted to incorporate it with Whole30 meals (as opposed to dosing tablespoons, which would still be an option depending on how your son tolerates it) you could use it in salad dressings or mayo.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 9yo has the emotions issue as well.  He swings from super sweet to really angry and doesn't seem to have a grasp on handling his emotions.   I just don't think I could convince him to eat the way I'm eating.  My older son would in a heartbeat if I asked him too. 

Archived