November Whole30...The Saga Continues

CCLaymon

We are a tight-knit group of new friends that completed a Whole30 that started on date that included a holiday – Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s – or all 3!  Some have taken a break and will rejoin us in January for a second round, and some kept it going through the holiday food frenzy.  We are excited to continue this journey of healthy eating and food freedom together! We welcome others to join us as we expand our cooking skills and recipe repertoire, and tame that fire-breathing sugar dragon.

Roll call – check in with your updates and commit to your start date!

@MizRik @mhemm @Jessica NG @IronGirlTrixie @NoMoreCrunchyCravings @higs @Laurie @AliceV @PattiMcK @Change30 @Silver Penguin @browneyedbeauty

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello one and All!    Special welcome to the newcomers :) My Whole30 family !! 

I am happy to have a date with you all, to successfully repeat another round....

Been off plan for the past 10 /11 days and have also lost my brakes lol. 

Good to be connected, ready to expand our repertoire of recipes and share our lived experiences.....

We strive to improve not only our physical bodies, but our minds and spirits as well.

Let our journey begin......a solid way to start off 2017 !  X0X0

(Caution - for people looking, this is non-compliant during the Whole 30 as today is a reintroduction day post-w30 for me.)

Today is my glutinous grains reintroduction day. No gut issues at all, but BOY AM I TIRED! I took two (read it - TWO) naps today because of the carb high followed by blood glucose lows. I ate bread with breakfast, noodles with lunch and I didn't get out of the house today to get stuff for a delicious spinach salad with fruits and nuts, but I did make a very special glutinous grains containing New Year's Eve meal with lots of symbolism to share with my husband: long intertwined pan fried noodles to symbolize our long life ahead intermingled and unable to be unraveled, shrimp to symbolize how diminutive our sad 2016 was in the grand scheme of things, fried eggs to symbolize fertility in the hopes that the coming year(s) will bring us closer to starting a family, green onions to symbolize spring's approach and rebirth, sesame seeds to show that while the details can get lost in the mix, sometimes they're the most important (flavorful) part of everything, and sautéed onions and peppers which are a solid start to any good recipe, and as such, will help us have a good solid start to the new year. We will also have cookies after the year turns to help us remember that 2017 will be a sweet one for us and to remind us that together, our love can get us through anything.

May we all have wonderful health, joy, love and peace during the new year and always.

(Caution - for people looking, this is non-compliant during the Whole 30 as today is a reintroduction day post-w30 for me.)

31206048953_820d5a9946.jpgIMG_4759[1] by NoMore CrunchyCravings, on Flickr

I really messed up yesterday - and it has very little to do with being compliant/non-compliant, but more to do with the way our bodies are made to work PROPERLY.  I drank probably the equivalent of 2 pots of coffee yesterday after a week that has been emotionally and hormonally chaotic.  I then attempted to do my shopping to prepare for a week of w30 meals.  I ended up having an epic panic attack and coming home before I was finished because I was in a very bad place.  I got home and continued to feel awful.  Did I mention I hadn't eaten ANYTHING solid?!?!?  I ate, took care of some things around the house, took the dog for a walk and then was able to relax a little bit.  This morning I am still not feeling great - I have woken up a beast of panic and only now am becoming aware of how freakin amazing I WAS feeling.  I will share later my journey with anxiety and depression, but for now I continue to kick myself because I was doing so amazingly well...:angry:

@mhemm I'm so sorry you've been struggling with anxiety and depression, and that it gets in the way of your daily activities. Glad to hear that you were doing a little self care with taking the dog out for a walk and that it made you calm down a bit. Can you skip the coffee and decaffeinate yourself? My life is much less stressful now that I'm mostly caffeine free (only use a cup of coffee occasionally if I'm beyond exhausted, or if I have a headache), but I know it's not for everyone.

Don't kick yourself - try to be kind to yourself. Take baby steps at betting back to w30ish eating. Can you drink lots of water or broth today? Can you make something simple but compliant to kick off a w30 re-start? Think fried eggs in ghee or coconut oil, raw or steamed veggies with a blob of ghee or coconut oil on top, and maybe a baked potato (6-8 minutes in the microwave for easy prep) or berries if you have them to go with breakfast? It's amazing what even one single clean eating meal can do for your body and your psyche.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Today is a big prep day as I wasn't nearly as productive as I needed to be what with taking two big naps from the pasta/bread exhaustion from my reintroduction day yesterday and now I've got just over 24 hours before I keave for my trip. I even feel a little hung over and super tired this morning from my reintroduction day yesterday, but I started today off with some compliant chicken salad I'd made yesterday out of rotisserie chicken, ranch, celery, red onion, and fresh lemon juice. I also had a pickle and a few strawberries and am in the process of preparing some chamomile to drink throughout the morning. Hopefully the hangover will pass soon.

As far as prepping for my trip, I've started packing (really, unpacking the suitcase from the last time I traveled which was November sometime), charging my camera batteries, and gathering the w30 foods I'm going to bring along with me to help stay close to where I want to be with eating. I have a lot more to do to get ready, so I'm going to try to stay away from the forum until I'm closer to being done with travel prep.

How was everyone's new year's celebration? How are you all feeling today?

Hi - former original dirty thirty lurker here.  I hear there are some former members here, thought I'd pop in while I start my January Whole30.  I've had a few failed attempts in the past year and am really motivated to make this January Whole30 a successful one!

Hooray for @CCLaymon for getting this thread going!  I started back on Dec 26 and this is Whole30 #whatever for me.  It's far too many.  I bet 7-8 at least.  I am really trying to approach this W30 as an early phase before the main focus:  a long and concentrated reintro.  Also, I started feeling awesome 5 days in - it didn't take long this time!  Mood, energy, sleep has all improved already.  Yippee!  My partner can tell a marked difference in my patience and mood as well.

@mhemm, coffee is really addictive for me and it sounds like maybe it's not the thing for you either!  Well - at least 2 pots' worth!  Don't kick yourself:  you just learned something that doesn't work, so now you can kick it to the curb!

Woke up this morning to a dusting of snow.  We have a big arctic freeze coming in tonight and I'll be spending part of the day winterizing so that my animals' water doesn't freeze.  Then pack away the rest of the holidays, do a bunch of cooking and some cleaning, and take a long walk.  And maybe I'll watch the Broncos end their miserable season (sigh).  

Happy 2017!

I was on the November 28 thread.  I started on November 27 with my husband by using the book, and joined the forum about half-way through.  We finished our first Whole30 and have plans to continue eating mostly Whole30 for quite some time.  We intend to add some things that we don't believe are causing us issues, depending on how we respond to them during the reintroductions.  We are doing a slow reintroduction.  The ones we have done are out of the suggested order in the book because of a planned trip with our kids.  

One of the things we had was a cinnamon roll.  We had reintroduced dairy (a little bit of cheese) and small amounts of sugar and did fine (except my very first sugar, which may have had some issues). But the 3" cinnamon roll threw me into a sudden, extreme exhaustion about 10-15 minutes into our meal (we were having a longer breakfast).  That lasted about 45 minutes.  I suspect it was a huge spike in blood sugar, followed by my body releasing an insulin surge.  I wonder if it would be less awful the next time, as maybe my body was a bit "rusty" in how to do the insulin thing, but I do not wish to repeat that experience.  My husband did much better with his cinnamon roll.

Today we are back on strict Whole30 and not planning any more reintroductions for at least a week as we want to get back to how we were feeling on the program.

Hello friends!  I've been on the road all day and happy to be joining you.

New Year's Eve was uneventful - we had seared ahi tuna and roasted brussels sprouts with a sprinkle of sugar free bacon. As I was preparing for my 8 hour drive home today, I could not find my keys (car/VA home/NJ home/office - all of them). Thank goodness my husband had the extra car key, so I was able to drive home. They will have to show up sometime, but no luck yet!

Emily, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!! I really love all the thought and symbolism that you put in your New Year's Eve meal.

Melissa, it's going to be so good to have you back! I did three Whole30's before this, and I am just now understanding how much better I feel when I'm on the plan. I'm not a fast learner :) Stay vigilant my friend, and I hope you are feeling better shortly. 

@drtracyb glad to have you along!

@higs I'm so glad you are feeling better! Feeling good really kicked in for me quickly on this round, too. Stay warm!

@Kathleenkp I checked in on your other thread and was going to come find you :) Happy to have you along with us!

@Jessica NG and @MizRik and @Laurie how are you doing? Are you ready to kick it off again?

Even after a long day of driving, I did a quick grocery shop tonight just so I would not be caught unawares tomorrow. 

Tonight I'm going to get caught up on some shows I missed last week and pull out the Whole 30 cookbook and pick something new to try this week! Check in with a favorite recipe this week!

I just came across this on Facebook.  I did a 30 day challenge with her before and loved it - I think this will go very well with a w30. :)  I have 2 more trainer sessions this week and am feeling really good today.  I literally feel like I am hung over now, but took a nap today and slept hard after indulging in some sugar, so bring on day 1!  (I am not officially starting until Tuesday, but tomorrow will be close to compliant...)

http://yogawithadriene.com/

I gotta go watch the Packers now!

2 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Emily, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!! I really love all the thought and symbolism that you put in your New Year's Eve meal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm pretty much done packing (read: laying all my stuff in a pile on the bed) aside from needing to make a quick trip to the store in the morning for some odds and ends that I can't locate. I've been cooking up my take-along foods and will be posting a photo of it all on the forums when it's all done.

Good on you for stopping by the grocery even though you'd been driving for hours - it's so good to be prepared!

1 hour ago, mhemm said:

I gotta go watch the Packers now!

We've got the Packers on in the background, too. My husband keeps shooing me away when I'm becoming a better door than a window. :P

Sounds like a good plan to get involved with the yoga - any tool that helps us succeed is a good tool to have!

Today was kind of a mixed bag as far as w30 eating went. I started the day with compliant chicken salad and pickles and strawberries, then fell into the trap of eating leftovers of our delicious New Year's meal for lunch and second lunch because "it'll go bad while we're gone and be such a waste" and I absolutely hate waste. So I have had two days of glutinous grains as far as reintro goes. Thank God the leftovers (and thus temptation) are done. I did experience the same carb crash midday (accompanied by a long nap), so I think I know what my post-w30 life is going to be like in terms of glutinous grains: eaten *very* sparingly unless I've got the desire and the time to nap and get over the gluten hangover. 

I'm mid-prep with cooking, so tomorrow will be a completely compliant day, and I'm really hoping Tuesday will be also while we're in Reykjavik.

Just checking in.  Started yesterday but might count today (Monday, Jan 2) as day 1.  Setting some goals for myself which includes posting at least every other day. 

@CCLaymon thanks for getting us started.

@mhemm the anxiety and depression, I know it all too well and it is so hard to live with these.  Often, these conditions can be paralyzing.  I take meds for both but I still struggle daily. 

If you all don't mind a long post from me, I will share more details about the last few years of my life.

Good morning, gang! Don't forget to do your weigh-in (if you are doing one) and put away that scale!

This week my goal is to try the Pad Thai recipe - I think @Kathleenkp tried that in one of the other threads.

AND, I'm off to the gym! So looking forward to our reunion here!

@Laurie good to see you checking in :wub:

Hi everyone!  Good luck as you all get started!

Day 8 for me and I'm feeling good!  My goal for this Whole30 is to consider it officially a Phase 1 plan leading up to a much more focused, considered reintro phase.  It's not 30 days and done.  It's the warm up.  I'm especially interested in following along wth you all because I know that is the focus for many of you as well!

@Laurie, please do post!  You have quite a story to tell.  I'm so glad you are here.  

I'm in an online running group along with my two forum groups and I know my challenge will be keeping up with the activity!  Being the New Year, I'm expecting both online groups to be crazy busy!  I might not keep up with every post but know that I am following along and will try to do a daily check in at least.

Go forth and slay it!

Good Monday Morning, everyone!  

I am not starting until tomorrow because I am still off work today and decided to hold off.  The hubs is starting next Monday and isn't reading any of the books, but counting on me to coach him through - for some reason I feel more pressure taking him along than when I was on my own.:unsure:  This week will include even more prep than the first time because the whole family is coming along - like it or not.  I LOVE Melissa Joulwan's Cook-Ups - I know these will be a life changer in the kitchen for all of us!  If all we have in the fridge is good options, there is no room for poor choices, right?

Congrats to my Packers on their win last night!  Today it's the Rose Bowl Parade and then the Badgers in the Cotton Bowl!  I already finished day 2 of the #YogaRevolution and have a couple loads of bedding done, so I'm ready to shower and then sit down and knit while watching tv.  Hey, it's my last day of break - I need to take advantage!

Looking forward to checking in as I'm able to from abroad. I am packed and ready, about to take a shower and then head to the airport around 4pm. I just posted all the myriad foodstuffs that I've prepared to take with me if you want to see, right here. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and a great start to their next Whole 30 adventures!

Melissa, if I have any advice on the whole family Whole30 it's this: have a clarifying conversation ahead of time about their expectations.  As my husband has told me several times in the last 6 weeks that we was on board with the Whole30, I ASSUMED that meant he was on the Whole 30!  In his mind, he's close and he's counting it.   I keep questioning him, and it gets a little dicey. So, know ahead of time if a little something slips in, are they ok with it, or are they gung-ho in it and want you to be correcting them? I think if you establish the ground rules ahead of time you'll save yourself some anxiety and cross words.

On the other hand, my son is often eating Whole30, and doesn't even know the difference. We don't discuss it at all.

Hmmm... I haven't been counting, but looking at the calendar puts me on day 13 of my second Whole30. Or day 43 of my first Whole60? Whatevs! :D

All through Christmas prep and Christmas itself, I found time to check our thread and post... but New Year's sucked me under! I'm still Whole30ing away, have not fallen off the plan, but I'm super busy. More later! I promise!

Archived