Monomeal Mania!!!11

kirkor

@kirkor - your meals look really great so far. Patties and loaves sounds like a great idea. I think soup would be fine if you let is simmer and simmer and simmer. You could even boil some of the zucchini separately first and use the immersion blender to totally liquefy it to make it creamy, then add that to the rest of the soup when the rest is done, and it'll be silkier than just using water or broth for the base. Depending on the spices you use, could taste very much like an awesome hamburger soup, which people on these pages say is grand.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes me think of a favorite book - "How to Cook a Wolf" by MFK Fisher, a collection of autobiographical stories about eating in times of deprivation. In one of the stories, she finds herself nearly broke as a college student and has to figure out how to make her money stretch to feed herself for the semester - so she buys a bag of feed grade oats from a feedmill and cooks it up with vegetables she scavenges from produce market rejects and very little meat. I remember this story well because I was a poor college student when I read it, and she talked about how well she felt after eating her "sludge" for months - lost weight, skin cleared up, etc. I found a recipe!   http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/how-to-cook-a-wolf-week-sludge

ps. This is not in any way whole 30, but it is a monomeal experiment that worked.  

3 hours ago, LS192 said:

This blowing my mind. I'm on day four of spaghetti squash for lunch and I'm just about ready to throw it at the wall. 

Heheh well it's not for everyone, that's for sure.  I'm having fun with it, and maybe just maybe someone who reads about it will think, "Oh, ok I guess what I've been doing isn't *that* boring; I mean, look at this weirdo!"

So, scored some markdown hamburger patties; @ $2.74/lb I couldn't pass them up, especially since the "patty-ing" was already done for me!

IMG_20170112_155008_zpsa9g62isq.jpg

Decided it was time for BURGERS & FRIES:lol:

Peeled the zukes, and figured I needed to do something with the skin.

I diced it super fine, then let it simmer in a pot with a little coconut oil, salt, and water ... let the water cook down and decided I'd called it "relish"

IMG_20170112_160000_zpstkpukrdh.jpgIMG_20170112_160511_zpskqkk05xr.jpg

Then on to the fries .. I sliced them thin, then tossed them in coconut oil and salt.

Put them in the over for 10 minutes at 400 degrees ... went to flip and/or rearrange them, and they were still pretty soggy ... I'd hoped having the oil coating would help ...
Changed the oven to broil, and let them set for several more minutes ... didn't really help and so my "fries" were rather limp :huh:

IMG_20170112_163147_zps0u1d46qt.jpg

And voilà!

Burger & fries with zucchini relish!

IMG_20170112_165455_zpsuq8hcelb.jpg

On 1/11/2017 at 7:09 AM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

I think soup would be fine if you let is simmer and simmer and simmer. You could even boil some of the zucchini separately first and use the immersion blender to totally liquefy it to make it creamy, then add that to the rest of the soup when the rest is done, and it'll be silkier than just using water or broth for the base. 

So, gave this a go yesterday!

Simmered the beef on it's own, and boiled the zucchini for a half our or so. My friend just had a teeny tiny baby food processor, so I used that to blend the beef and zuke separate at first, then mixed the purees together, then ran that back through the food processor again.  The beef didn't puree as much as I'd have liked, but it didn't become "glue-y" either which I had worried about, so that's cool.

Only liquid was from the boiling and simmering.  The zuke I diced and used enough water to cover, the beef I added a bit of water and coconut oil, and of course it had the liquid fat.

End result was kinda like a thick soup. A finer texture than chili, but still a pit pebbly. Taste was good.

Satiety-wise, I'm not sure ... since I've had it beaten in to me that "liquid foods aren't as satiating as chewed food" I was kind of hyper-sensitive to that.  Throughout the afternoon I seemed to be more conscious of the question of if I was hungry or not.  I *might* have been a little more hungry a little earlier than usual, but I wouldn't want to say that with 100% certainty.

It was a lot of effort, especially with the tiny food processor, so I probably won't do it again.

IMG_20170114_111525_zpstetdqonl.jpgIMG_20170114_120413_zpsnptts4mq.jpg

IMG_20170114_121507_zpsm8m7zwsx.jpg

Anyway, I'm back.  Had to switch up the monomeal as I did not have cooking facilities here on my overnight shift/hotel for a week.  Bought a bag of spinach, a carton of tomatoes and some pre-cooked bubba burgers, and some guac and have been eating that for a week here in the Central Valley.  Leaving for the UK tomorrow so will be back home to be able to saute zucchini yet again.

How about zoodles?

Personally, I think the concept of monomeal would be also to just pick a format of your chosen vegetable and leave it alone, rather than trying to find 50 ways to cook zucchini.  Makes food more of a sustenance thing rather than an emotional thing.  

7 hours ago, drtracyb said:

That looks disgusting.

I know right?? :blink::D

7 hours ago, drtracyb said:

How about zoodles?

Personally, I think the concept of monomeal would be also to just pick a format of your chosen vegetable and leave it alone, rather than trying to find 50 ways to cook zucchini.  Makes food more of a sustenance thing rather than an emotional thing.  

Ya, I agree on the format of the foods for the monomeal concept in general.  For me, eating wise, the regular ground beef + diced zucchini is still fine, but internet-wise, I thought it would be entertaining to show different implementations.  But it could also be I've been watching too many episodes of Chopped lately :lol:

I did have a few more versions in the works (no zoodles though, don't have a spiralizer where I'm currently staying), but if you think it would be a better representation of the goal of the thread to keep with the diced zuke, I can do that too.

Kirkor- Can I ask....and I mean this seriously....are you bored with it? I ask because I am on day 16 and I am feeling bored. Now, that makes no sense for me because I have a million more choices than you. However, I thought since you embarked on this you might have some good thoughts on my feelings of boredom??

1 hour ago, Artemis22 said:

Kirkor- Can I ask....and I mean this seriously....are you bored with it? I ask because I am on day 16 and I am feeling bored. Now, that makes no sense for me because I have a million more choices than you. However, I thought since you embarked on this you might have some good thoughts on my feelings of boredom??

I think, if I am bored, I'm bored because I think I should be bored. Does that make sense? Like, obviously what I'm doing is ridiculous, and it really seems that I ought to be tired of it by now, but honestly it hasn't been that bad.

So last night my roommate had a couple people over for dinner and they had a taco bar-type of setup (yes, you know I did my own version :D but I'm going to wait a bit to post pics to give @drtracyb a break :ph34r:;)) and, ya, the guacamole and olives and tomatoes and onions looked really good.  Especially the guac!!

But I really am having quite a bit of fun as these 30 days march onward. People pay lip service to the idea that "food is fuel", and so it's kind of like a game to check in with myself, "Hey, Kirkor, is food *really* fuel to you?" Ground beef + zucchini are a good combo. It tastes good, and I know I'm being properly fueled.

And speaking of being well fed, this menu is supporting me while I'm spending this month working in Wyoming delivering propane.  In these winter conditions it's definitely a physically demanding job.  Some representative pics (not of me specifically):

Dragging hose:
LXcKhgm.jpg

Chaining up:
8f46Thy.jpg

Driving on crappy roads:
wLJSO0Q.jpg

1 hour ago, Artemis22 said:

However, I thought since you embarked on this you might have some good thoughts on my feelings of boredom??

Oops, realized I didn't address the question of *your* boredom! I think it's definitely natural to feel bored at some point during the Whole30.  If someone isn't bored with the food, then they're bored with the shopping, or the prepping & cooking, or the dishes.
But people don't seem to get bored with sleeping better, or having more energy, or feeling more centered. For me it's important to focus on the positives rather than the negatives.

With an elimination program like Whole30, you're never going to completely get away from the "negatives", because it's a rules-driven program.  Foods and choices are either compliant or non-compliant. To follow the rules properly, we can't help but keep it in our heads that I can't have dairy, I can't have legumes, I can't have sugar, etc etc. So it's super easy to get zeroed-in on that mentality, and then lament the lack of choices.  "Oh mannnn there's so much stuff I can't have on this darn program ... I sure hope it's worth it in the end!"

In that sense, the shopping list can be more motivating than the rules list, because it's full of things you CAN have! 

That's what I'm doing for my Monomeal Mania Whole30 -- I'm focusing on the fact that I can have ground beef & zucchini, and when I prepare them with coconut oil & salt it makes for a delicious and filling meal that also is improving my health.

Do you have some favorite things you've made so far these 16 days?

Thank you so much for your response. For the most part I am doing really well with this. It is my third Whole 30 and I know my best one. By "best" I mean I am really learning this time. Learning about my responses to food and stopping to think "why" I do some of the things I do. For example, I was frustrated last night when I asked you the bored question. I visited someone in the hospital and through unforeseen circumstances I went way too long without eating.  That was what caused me to be a little grouchy and to think I was bored, not the program itself. When the stove quit on me the other night my first thought was to fix my upset with food. I didn't but that was my first reaction.  If I wasn't doing the Whole 30 I wouldn't have thought about my responses. In order to fix my food issues I have to be aware of them so this is a huge NSV for me.  I am also learning to cook, and try things I never would have know about. My very favorite thing is the sweet potato soup. We don't have the snow in Vermont (thank goodness-so far) like you do there but it is cold. The soup is delicious and comforting on cold days. My cauliflower soup was really good too.

Thank you for your inspiration as I begin day 17!! :)

Today, a great victory for the Monomeal strategy!

POlg6GU.jpg 

I forgot my lunch at home today :o:(:wacko:

So as the afternoon wore on, I definitely tengo hambre. <sidebar plug for *koff*intermittentfasting*koff*; I was hungry but not a total Mr. Crabby Pants>
But I just drank my salted water and carried on with work.

However, when I got home, having only a Monomeal on the menu was like a soothing breeze.  It was definitely the kinda situation where it'd be easy to stare at the fridge and think, "I'm hungry, but nothing loooooooks good", or to see various ingredients, but just not feeeeel like cooking them in to a meal. And also the kind of situation where it would be VERY easy to fall in to a bag of <DELETED> and call that dinner. ;) 

Not this month!  As a well-prepared Whole30ian, I did have several premade meals in the fridge ready to go (including the one I forgot to bring for lunch), but I thought it would be nice to have a fresh hot meal, and save the containered stuff for later this week.

I had my thawed burger and zucchini in the fridge, took a few moments to dice the zuke while the beef got warm, and then after not very long at all, I was eating a great dinner!

The Monomeal definitely allowed me to be on "autopilot" as far as deciding what to eat.  Very convenient.  And I don't mean autopilot to imply that it's mindless.  Rather I appreciated that I'd "front loaded" the decision making process.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Interesting... sorry the zucchini has been mushier than you expected.  I'd go with noodles personally :)

I've read a bunch of stuff on those carnivore FB groups and stuff about how "front loading" food decisions really helps some people with food "issues".  Others it seems to set into a tailspin.  

Glad you are feeling well so far.  Looking forward to following this.  Personally I'm not sure how you are spending a month not eating mayo!

On 1/4/2017 at 9:34 PM, kirkor said:

Was out in the truck all day, so ate my lunch without reheating it.

Figured I should expand on this, especially the kombination of eating kold food while on keto ... you end up konsuming saturated fat that is rather, um, khunky (my "k" thing kinda falls apart there...:P)

Untitled_zpsckq2on8s.jpg

Too funny.  The UK is having a courgette shortage, so I had to switch to broccoli.  I do agree that hamburger meat is not the greatest to eat cold.

Did really well during my first 15 days, including living in a hotel and flying on airplanes.  It's nice to be back home and be able to cook for myself again, even if i did have to switch to broccoli.

On 1/16/2017 at 6:26 AM, kirkor said:
On 1/15/2017 at 10:50 PM, drtracyb said:

Ya, I agree on the format of the foods for the monomeal concept in general.  For me, eating wise, the regular ground beef + diced zucchini is still fine, but internet-wise, I thought it would be entertaining to show different implementations.  But it could also be I've been watching too many episodes of Chopped lately :lol:

I did have a few more versions in the works (no zoodles though, don't have a spiralizer where I'm currently staying), but if you think it would be a better representation of the goal of the thread to keep with the diced zuke, I can do that too.

Ok, I've thought about this some more, so I wanted to say a hearty THANK YOU to @drtracyb for helping me really clarify the benefits of this little endeavor I'm engaged in.

While I do think it is true that one potential benefit to monomeals is the reframing of food as "sustenance only", (A) I don't think arranging the single vegetable in different ways negates that goal and (B) even if it did, that is not the only reason I am undertaking this Monomeal Mania.
Also, if people ask, kirkor, what did you have for Meal 1 on Tuesday?" "ground beef & zucchini" ... what did you have for Meal 2 on Tuesday? "ground beef & zucchini" ... what did you have for xxxxx "ground beef & zucchini" and so on and so on....

I'm running this for lots of reasons:

• to have fun
  • ease of meal planning
  • the removal of any hint of 'what am I gonna make for dinner' thoughts
  • ease of shopping
  • ease of meal prep
  • ease of cooking
  • ease of cleaning
  • ease of lunch packing
  • ease of eating on the go or while busy
  • it's a combination of my other themed W30s
  • my chosen food items also follow the protocols of no nightshades, low FODMAPs, and AIP
  • it's a flavor & taste combination that I know I enjoy
  • the preplanning & batch cooking means every meal fits my goal meal template exactly
  • it eliminates snacking
  • it's making me separate hunger from any other feeling that could contribute to a desire to eat
  • it's a personal challenge
  • I want to use "high contrast" to inspire other Whole30'ers who might be experiencing issues with food boredom or perceived lack of variety, and the extent to which these feelings contribute to a successful Whole30 

So, that being said, here's some pics of that taco night the other day. ;)

My friend knows I'm eating this way, but she was having a couple people over for a "taco bar", and set a plate for me to eat my usal ground beef & diced zucchini. But as the taco bar materialized, with the little bowls of diced tomato & olives & guacamole, etc., I thought, ya know, I'm going to make a little taco bar of my own!!

Made boats out of the zucchini, roasted them a bit. Skin I peeled as lettuce, insides I diced fine and used to represent both onions & cheese, make a little mix of diced zuke, bits of beef, and cooking oil to stand in for salsa ... best part was my friend even had these little baby dishes to serve it all in! :wub:

taco01_zpsak8hisex.jpg

taco02_zpswu5vwskv.jpg

taco03_zpsups4j70t.jpg

Ok folks, so as you may or may not know, I tend to err on the side of optimism, and I like to put my best foot forward, put on a brave face, etc.

Well, but I also want to be real. And, tonight, well, I'm having a bad night. :mellow:

Had a late lunch, and started feeling "funky" not too long after.  It came time for dinner, and was still feeling queasy but I knew I needed to eat. Had to really power through my dinner food, and DID NOT FINISH. :blink::o

I think what might have happened is that I mislabeled 73% ground beef at 80%, and it screwed up my protein/fat ratio, so maybe I added too much coconut oil at one sitting.

Hopefully I'll sleep it off! Nine days to go!

GIF-bliss-happy-nicolas-cage-yes-GIF.gif

Yay, it was just a short-lived funky tummy.  Maybe just too much fat all in one sitting (and for me, that is saying something!)

Meals were A-OK today, no trepidation or anything about eating.

So, since I had that phase last night, I didn't post the pic of my meal prep!  Batch cooking, woo hoo!

IMG_20170122_150450_zpsqgyaphw7.jpg

Archived