Anyone in the UK for 2 Jan start?

drtracyb

It went fine.  I'm trying to do a minimalist whole30 this time, mainly beef mince and courgettes.  Today it was mince fried in bacon fat, with the bacon crumpled on top of it and swede.

My toughest time is actually night-time.  I am a terrible night time snacker, so after M3, I have to have the self discipline to not eat anything until tomorrow.,

I'm in England and started my whole30 today. I did one in November and despite feeling great at the end I have allowed Christmas and holiday to undo much of the good work! I am grateful for the forums as I don't know anyone in the UK that tries to eat this way. Best wishes.

Yes, I find the forum helpful.

I survived day 2.  Well, approaching evening, my danger zone, but I should be ok.  Yesterday was the classic unexpected emergency that we prep for.  My husband bought bus tickets to go up to Heathrow last night, as his flight back for California was leaving this morning.  He got to the bus station only to find out that he bought tickets for the wrong day, and there were no seats available.  So the whole family had to jump in the car and drive him instead, three hours each way from Exeter, with an overnight hotel stay.  I grabbed the hard boiled eggs that I had made up the night before my whole30 started, and that was enough to keep me compliant until I could get back home today.  No "following the template", but no cheating, either.  When I got home this afternoon, I had my first meal of ground beef with roasted winter veggies, and a handful of almonds.

Just shows how important it is to prep! Great effort there :) 

I'm doing my big prep now, (day 3 for me) as I had some vouchers for Aldi that I couldn't use until today...managed to get this lot for £50 so doing a huuuge prep of meat and some veg right now!

also aldi's smoked salmon is compliant, which is good news :) 

if anyone has seen any compliant chorizo in U.K. Supermarkets id be very grateful, as I have a few recipes that involve it that I'm dying to include in my w30! 

I was shattered yesterday but feel better today after adding a bit more protein to breakfast, so I'll keep that up. Happy Tuesday everyone!

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

Hi - I'm in the UK (based in Bristol) and this is my fourth Whole30 - started on 2nd January.  I'm doing okay so far and pleased to be  heading towards the end of Day 4.   I've found it such a great way to be for 30 days and have each time found out something new about myself and my eating as well as feeling more focussed and sleeping better.  My challenges are always about what happens 'in between' rounds of this - I find that sugar has such a powerful hold over me that everything is fine after a Whole30 until my job (which involves a lot of travel) takes me around carbs, milky coffees and sugar on offer everywhere. After 30 days plus of Whole30 I tend to succumb to the food I'm surrounded by rather than the food I've managed to work well with for 30 days.  So, a new resolution at the start of 2017 is to make Whole30 habits more of my permanent lifestyle this year and hang on to the benefits that I feel and see in myself.  I'm working on the Food Freedom Forever this year.

Loved seeing your shopping from Aldi, Jazmin, and appreciating how lucky we are to have lots of additive free foods here in the UK for cooking at home.  

Great to be in a thread with others in the UK - there's lots we could do with Whole30 style eating here and I'm always up for a conversation about it with others but haven't found many who've wanted to engage beyond the 'what do you mean you can't eat….?' question and restaurant meals here in the UK can be tricky as there isn't always the opportunity to swap items in and out of the menu or create your own as some things I've read about eating out suggest.    However, Wetherspoons get a huge thumbs up from me for their flexibility - particularly around their Steak Nights - steak, baked potato and a salad.  Lovely!

Good to be in this thread - thanks for creating it drtraceyb.

Hi there! I'm in the UK (Scotland) and planning on doing my 3rd Whole30 in the very near future. I miss my Tiger Blood.

Jazmin, I buy compliant chorizo at Waitrose. I have found 2 there-Unearthed (Chorizo de Leon) and my fave which is Los Berones Chorizo Puchero. 

I also found a compliant one at Wholefoods but that was some time ago so not sure if they carry it still but might be worth a look there.

Hope everyone is getting on ok with your W30! :)

9 hours ago, esellem said:

Jazmin, I buy compliant chorizo at Waitrose. I have found 2 there-Unearthed (Chorizo de Leon) and my fave which is Los Berones Chorizo Puchero. 

I also found a compliant one at Wholefoods

Thank you so much!! I'm nowhere near a Wholefoods, so I'll get myself to my nearest Waitrose and search!!

I'm in London - doing my second W30.  Had to restart as had a cold that I was taking all sorts of none compliant medicines for...  my wife does shopping in Lidl, and she came back with complian proscuttio which is lovely, and I found compliant (I think...?) bacon in Sainsburys  - Sizzler Danish Bacon

Ingredients Pork (87%), Water, Salt, Preservatives (Sodium Nitrite, Potassium Nitrate)

You seem to have a lot of meat there compared to the amount of veg... looks like you're prepping for a month :)

homemade mayo is your friend!

lunch tends to be a packet of veg steamed in the microwave, and a tin of fish, and olive oil, sometimes avocado or olives.

Thumbs up too for Weatherspoons - they do a salmon fillet with jacket potato and salad, and the sauce, butter, and dressing, all come seperately so you can avoid them.

29 minutes ago, Crastney said:

You seem to have a lot of meat there compared to the amount of veg... looks like you're prepping for a month :)

I was! I get vouchers from work for Aldi each month so I saved 2 months worth and bought enough meat for more or less the whole 30 days and have frozen most of it! I get veg every couple of days :) 

when did you have to restart from? Going ok so far?

restart from yesterday, as I was at home sick feeling rough, and there was a tin of chicken soup in the cupboard, and still some bread left, so I went off plan - but it made me feel better (even if I knew it wasn't making me healthier).  Back on it today with a vengeance!

Hi guys! I'm a uk w30er too. Good to find you all! Started again on jan 2nd after a perfect Nov followed by a rubbish reintro thanks to antibiotic confusion (and falling headfirst into lattes and mince pies! You live and learn) 

completely echo @JwUK in trying to make it all less on or off and just making more good choices more of the time. Hoping to do a by the book reintro this time and learn how to go forward to feel well. 

First weekend approaches......good luck all

So, Saturday done and I remember how good eating this way makes me feel.  I am flabbergasted that i can’t seem to remember this whilst ‘riding my own bike’.  I’m a big fan of Gretchen Rubin’s books about habits and I like the things she has taught me about being an abstainer rather than a moderator; that I work best when I abstain from things rather than trying just a little of things.  

@britgirl I've got the food freedom forever book and have really enjoyed reading it but for some reason switched on a different (old?!) version of me at the end of my last whole30 and didn’t follow it. :o  I’ve been working on sorting out my food issues for around 18 months now and have learned a lot - I think that it will take me several more goes to really find a new way of being.  Then, and now, one day at a time - probably one meal at a time!  

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

15 hours ago, drtracyb said:

I survived my flight back to California, only eating my packed meals.  I'm on day 6 and already have stopped the snacking frenzy I have been on for the past year.  Felt great.

I’m really impressed with your comment about quelling the snacking frenzy - I feel that often this is the thing that gets out of control for me too and I’ve ended up eating lots of reasonably healthy things but in addition to meals rather than as meals.   I hope you have a good trip to the US.

Great that we’ve got the solid start behind us - I navigated an afternoon stop at Starbucks this afternoon where I had a mint tea whilst my family drank lattes and ate  a chocolate chunk cookie.  It was the toughest half hour of the last week for me.  Drinking mint tea in a coffee shop is always hard. :rolleyes:  I found from my first Whole30 that I can tolerate milk and dairy in reasonable quantities BUT that in drinking a latte I weaken my resistance to eating all the things that are on offer in a coffee shop - it seems to reduce my willpower.  Does anyone else have a trigger effect like this?

This weekend has been good for me with really good food, an improvement in sleep quality already and not feeling hungry.   I hope it has been similar for everyone else.

50 minutes ago, drtracyb said:

Doing well here - day 9 - amazing!  My friend brought me a bunch of premade whole30 meals while I was at work this weekend.

Wow - what a great friend that is.   Hope your trip is going well.

I’m on day 9 too and had one of those really good night’s sleep that left me feeling refreshed and waking up naturally after just over 7 hours and helped me to question why I can’t do what i need to in order to live this way all the time...?  Every Whole30 brings different questions and different answers!

Archived