What to Expect Calendar (Symptoms)

rebswirl

Hello All,

One of the emails Whole30 recently sent me had a nifty 30 day calendar with the "symptoms" inputed on in, such as "Kill All the Things" and "Tiger Blood." I meant to save it and print it but failed to do so. Now I can't find it. Could someone direct me to it? Thanks!

Can I just comment here that not everyone follows the timeline so if you're NOT experiencing the listed 'symptoms' you're not necessarily doing it wrong - also sometimes the expectation actually brings it on, which isn't always the best thing ;)

Comparison is the thief of joy - enjoy your OWN journey!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

On 1/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, jmcbn said:

Can I just comment here that not everyone follows the timeline so if you're NOT experiencing the listed 'symptoms' you're not necessarily doing it wrong - also sometimes the expectation actually brings it on, which isn't always the best thing ;)

jmcbn,

If you someone finds themselves behind the timeline by a number of days in some cases, might this suggest that their system may be more 'messed up' and in need of a longer than Whole30? 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I am not experiencing the same side effects as the calendar specifies.  I don't drink soda and rarely have alcohol. My problem is massive carb and chocolate/sugar overloads.  I am on day 6 and feeling light headed and a bit nauseous today.  I'm not sure what it means if I don't experience the same symptoms as specified.  I am still exercising, but dont have the same energy and strength as before.  I am easily tired while working out now.  I would have thought that would get better with healthier food.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Dyann said:

I am not experiencing the same side effects as the calendar specifies.  I don't drink soda and rarely have alcohol. My problem is massive carb and chocolate/sugar overloads.  I am on day 6 and feeling light headed and a bit nauseous today.  I'm not sure what it means if I don't experience the same symptoms as specified.  I am still exercising, but dont have the same energy and strength as before.  I am easily tired while working out now.  I would have thought that would get better with healthier food.  Any thoughts?

What have you been eating the last six days @Dyann? It's hard for us to give directed feedback without knowing what you've been doing. It sounds to me like you are not eating enough (nausea, lightheaded). Lacking energy and strength and tiring easily is pretty common in the first couple weeks while your body converts to being fat adapted. Open a new thread in troubleshooting and give a rundown on what you've been eating. Include portions and specific foods. Fluids, stress, sleep, exercise, pre and post workout food etc are all relevant.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, Marlene B said:

I am on day 3, I am tired and light headed. I don’t eat dairy or much sugar, I did drink wine or beer a few times a week. I just feel empty & tired. Hope it doesn’t last long. 

It's impossible to give any specific feedback to possibly help you feel better without some information. Create a thread in the Troubleshooting section of the forum and list out your food from the last 3 days including exercise, sleep, stress, portions, fluids etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on Day 10 & last night started maybe my "hardest days" as in my HUNGRIEST days.... SO HUNGRY..... and I am eating! I'm also getting within a week of starting my monthly cycle...... usually I get hungriest 2 days before I start.... hmmm.... 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, AliS said:

I'm on Day 10 & last night started maybe my "hardest days" as in my HUNGRIEST days.... SO HUNGRY..... and I am eating! I'm also getting within a week of starting my monthly cycle...... usually I get hungriest 2 days before I start.... hmmm.... 

Eat. Even if you feel like you're eating based on the meal template, it is okay to eat more if you're hungry. In the week or so leading up to their period, some women find they eat twice as much as they normally would each day. You may or may not need that much, but definitely eat more, there's no reason that you need to feel hungry. It can help to include extra starchy vegetables and extra fat at your meals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
17 minutes ago, lizm said:

does the timeline apply to your second whole 30?  i started my 2nd two weeks after i finished my first.

Probably not unless you went completely bezerk in the 2 weeks between your Whole30's.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2017 at 1:22 PM, jmcbn said:

Agreed...but I also found the expectations "calendar" pretty funny, in a slightly snarky dark way. It made me laugh and also a bit comforted knowing that other folks have struggles at different times in this journey. The explanations of why I might experience these things was also very helpful. It's an individual journey, but it can be a supportive shared experience too. Thanks all - cheers!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've been worried I'm not experiencing the withdrawal symptoms everyone talks about.  I knew booze wouldn't be an issue (I did dry january without a problem) but I'm a carb ADDICT- the more gluten the better.  I do find myself wanting things, especially when my family is eating yummy homemade cake and I'm having a few berries, but nothing like I expected.  I was worried this meant I was doing it wrong, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

Also...talk to me on day 25 of this and we'll see how chipper I am.

I'm on day 5 of my first Whole30.  Since day 1, I am experiencing light stomach cramping when I eat (kind of like after you've had the stomach flu and your digestive system has to re-boot the factory).  Sometimes it starts off during a meal and other times it is immediately afterward.  As I get later in the day, the cramping basically sticks around off/on into the overnight hours, but is generally gone before I eat anything the next morning.  Then the cycle starts up again with breakfast.  Things seem a little better today, but it's still early.   Before starting W30, I had been following Atkins pretty closely and so the meals have not been a HUGE adjustment overall.  I have not yet experienced most of the common symptoms noted on the W30 calendar, but this cramping is a beat down by bedtime.  Any suggestions on what might be going on?

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, MichelleR said:

I'm on day 5 of my first Whole30.  Since day 1, I am experiencing light stomach cramping when I eat (kind of like after you've had the stomach flu and your digestive system has to re-boot the factory).  Sometimes it starts off during a meal and other times it is immediately afterward.  As I get later in the day, the cramping basically sticks around off/on into the overnight hours, but is generally gone before I eat anything the next morning.  Then the cycle starts up again with breakfast.  Things seem a little better today, but it's still early.   Before starting W30, I had been following Atkins pretty closely and so the meals have not been a HUGE adjustment overall.  I have not yet experienced most of the common symptoms noted on the W30 calendar, but this cramping is a beat down by bedtime.  Any suggestions on what might be going on?

No specific suggestions without knowing what you've been eating. Some foods like raw veggies, cruciferous veggies like brocoli and cauliflower, excess nuts, dried fruits and even fizzy waters will cause bloating and cramping.

• 1 year later...

I am on my 3rd Whole30 in 3 years. I love to do it once a year as a cleanse. I’m on day 24 and feeling so good. The last few days I have been getting comments about my weight loss, which is a great motivator! The first week of the timeline rang pretty true for me, but the rest has felt so positive. I had to make it through a camping trip with coworkers where everyone was drinking cocktails and eating camp food and s’mores. That wasn’t so easy .....but the victory is so satisfying !

I can’t wait for Day 30 so I can get on the scale!!

• Like 1

• Whole30 Certified Coach
9 hours ago, Nana Lori said:

I am on my 3rd Whole30 in 3 years. I love to do it once a year as a cleanse. I’m on day 24 and feeling so good. The last few days I have been getting comments about my weight loss, which is a great motivator! The first week of the timeline rang pretty true for me, but the rest has felt so positive. I had to make it through a camping trip with coworkers where everyone was drinking cocktails and eating camp food and s’mores. That wasn’t so easy .....but the victory is so satisfying !

I can’t wait for Day 30 so I can get on the scale!!

Those are all HUGE non-scale victories! Congratulations on making it to Day 24! You're in the home stretch now! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first Whole30 and it feels like I’m about 1-2 days ahead of the schedule.  Prior to trying the diet, I had already cut out almost all added sugar, and only ate ultra high fiber bread goods.  My alcohol intake was moderate: 1 glass per day.  Is this typical for people who have already started eliminating things from their diet?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, JAK95 said:

This is my first Whole30 and it feels like I’m about 1-2 days ahead of the schedule.  Prior to trying the diet, I had already cut out almost all added sugar, and only ate ultra high fiber bread goods.  My alcohol intake was moderate: 1 glass per day.  Is this typical for people who have already started eliminating things from their diet?

The calendar is just a general guideline. Some people follow it exactly, some not at all, and some follow parts of it bit not all of it. Eliminating some items before you start can make a difference in the symptoms you feel or put you a little ahead of the timeline.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Day 10 of my first W30. Didn't have any symptoms before Day 8.

I ate pretty healthy beforehand , even on my bingeing days.

I finally feel the carb withdrawal and the missing sugar.

It's like having all the sysmptoms from Day 4-14 at the same time. I also feel like having the "keto flu" even though I eat carbs m(

I hope it's over soon.

• 5 months later...