Starting Jan 8th, looking for buddies!

Tatchyana

Hello! I'm starting my first W30 on Sunday, Jan 8th, and I'd love some company! I wanted to start on a weekend to have a full day to prep for the week ahead. I'm 42 years old, and about 20 pounds overweight. I have joint and bone pain, as well as lower back and foot issues that have left me feeling much older than I am! I will be upping my game with exercise as well.  Come join me!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Tatchyana! I'm starting my first W30 on that same date! Let's do this! 

I'm Mayté, 44 years old mother of two girls; I'm from Ecuador (South America, Pacific Coast, right there, between Colombia and Peru). I already know I'm lactose intolerant so the total break from dairy is going to be great for my body, about 50 pounds overweight with no significant health issues, other than low energy.

Hi Mayté! I'm so glad you can join me! I have been to Central America (Nicaragua), but never further south. My mom grew up in Paraguay, but hasn't been back.

I am lactose intolerant as well, although I still eat cheese, butter, and yogurt. I'm definitely interested to see how going off all dairy will be. I am mostly gluten free already, but find myself cheating and then regretting it. The hardest thing for me to give up is probably sugar. I'm hoping I can really improve the body-wide inflammation I experience. I look forward to this journey with you!

I've never been to Paraguay or any country in Central America. So, do you know some words in spanish?

Sugar is also my greatest concern, but I'm already looking forward to observing my body's reactions to the whole30,

I have one question for you: Are you planning on using the book's first week menu or are you making your own? I have some meal plans pinned on my Pinterest account (@cartasdepalas) but still not sure which one I will follow. However, I started stocking up on veggies for the first days. 

I studied Spanish in high school, and on off since then, but I would love to get better! I live in Arizona where Spanish is spoken widely. 

I didn't buy the Whole30 book, though I might still get it. I am using what I learned from the website and a bunch of pins on Pinterest.  I have followed a Paleo diet before, and there are a lot of similarities, just more restrictions with W30. I need to make meals that can feed the family because I don't have time to cook two meals. Usually that will mean 2 servings of veggies for me instead of a grain dish, along with some meat or fish cooked with W30 ingredients. Fortunately, I love vegetables, so that won't be hard. Since we can have potatoes, I know I'll survive! I will probably have them occasionally, but not every day, as I do want to lose a little weight. 

Hi ladies, I would like to start on the 8th with you both. I have done a whole 30 before, it was almost 4 years ago now...I'm ready for another one. It is nice to have a group to check in with and share meals and ideas....planning and having good food ready is what it is all about.

I will check in with you both daily, let you know what my plan is and I'd love to hear your plans.

Right now I am going to clear the house of non-compliant food and start cooking to have yummy food on hand.

Good luck to us!

Amy

Hi Amy! Welcome!

I wanted to share with you that my best friend decided to start her Whole30, on the same day as us. She did Paleo for two months, two years ago. I was telling her all about the program and she found it interesting and not so different from what she already did. I'm sending her all the resources from the website and we will be talking about it.  She may not join us in the forum but it's great to have someone else on the same journey. 

I just went to the supermarket and got avocado oil and sausages for my breakfast (still the one daily meal that worries me, because it will be very different from what I'm used to). I was reading labels and was amazed by how many products use soy protein! These were labeled gluten free, but only one of the six or seven varieties they carry was compliant: the others had cheese, wine, beer or soy protein.

How are you preparing? I'm not emptying my pantry, my girls would have no snacks!

I studied Spanish in high school, and on off since then, but I would love to get better! I live in Arizona where Spanish is spoken widely. 

I didn't buy the Whole30 book, though I might still get it. I am using what I learned from the website and a bunch of pins on Pinterest.  I have followed a Paleo diet before, and there are a lot of similarities, just more restrictions with W30. I need to make meals that can feed the family because I don't have time to cook two meals. Usually that will mean 2 servings of veggies for me instead of a grain dish, along with some meat or fish cooked with W30 ingredients. Fortunately, I love vegetables, so that won't be hard. Since we can have potatoes, I know I'll survive! I will probably have them occasionally, but not every day, as I do want to lose a little weight. 

Howdy all,

I'm looking to start my 2nd whole 30 on Jan 9th as well. I did my first whole 30 about 1 1/2 years ago (and was happy with the results) but then slid back into familiar patterns. I'm looking to do a reboot to kick off 2017. :)

Well, our little community is growing! It's great that you have found Tachyana's post. Hi DadsChamp (and wife), evaq and Lucy, a great welcome from the heart of South America: Quito, Ecuador.

Yesteday I was doing some research about sweet potatoes to find out what are they called here: they are "camotes" or "batata". So if you have any spanish speaking friends you can tell them that. I had some mashed sweet potatoes last year in Florida and they were DELICIOUS! So of course I will integrate them into my meals. Only two days (does today count?) to go! 

Hi! I'd like to join you all too. I've successfully completed a Whole 30 before and also failed once or twice. I'm 40 years old, mother of 2, 25 pounds overweight and struggling to gain some control in my life. 

I have a lot of excuses. Valid ones, but none of them negate the importance of taking care of myself. I'm not looking for sympathy but want to outline reasons for needing support. I am currently on leave from my career to take care of my husband who is dying from brain cancer. Taking care of him, my kids, and interacting with everyone involved in this journey is depleting me and leading me to comfort myself with junk food. I tell myself that I don't have time to eat healthy or take care of myself. I need to take care of myself. I will not go down with this ship.  So I am in. Starting January 8th. It feels good to take this step.

Welcome Rkrzywda. I am so sorry to hear of your struggles.  I can't even imagine what it must be like. I applaud you for knowing that you have to take care of yourself. I always try to think of the adage about putting your own oxygen mask on in an airplane so that you can be capable of helping others. Easier said than done in every day life, let alone in your particularly hard circumstances. I am here for you on this W30 journey. 

Hi ladies,

my my name is Julia and I am 51 years old, married with two grown children (23 and 25).  I would like to lose 10 lbs that I have gained since menaupause. I will be starting on Monday, the 8th and would love the support of a check in.  I don't have any particular health concerns or allergies to any foods. It sure will be interesting, as I love dairy and way too addicted to sugar. I am looking forward to this challenge.

Hi Julia! Welcome aboard!

How's everyone doing with prep? I just finished my week 1 meal planning and I'm heading out to shop. I am making recipes that the whole family will like with some tweaks for me (i.e. compliant crock pot meatballs with spaghetti squash for me, pasta for everyone else). It took a little longer than my usual meal planning, but not too bad! 

Are you nervous? Excited? I'm a little of both!

Hey Everyone!! Glad to find a group starting around the same time! My husband Ryan and I are officially starting today! With 4 young kiddos I've survived on sugar and caffeine, so sugar is going to be the hardest to kick! I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance 5 years ago, but cheat frequently which my body doesn't appreciate. Im looking forward to disciplining my eating, healing my gut, and getting to a healthy weight/size (-10/15lbs). My husband, gained weight with each of my pregnancies, he was supporting my Frosted Flakes cravings at 3am, (all for the baby of course!) So he is looking forward to loosing weight, and reducing inflammation/pressure on his knees. His struggle will be sugar cravings and unhealthy snacking.

We have used the books for some menu ideas, but I have found most of my ideas from Pinterest and have an entire board filled with tips, menu ideas, etc. (@PaigePeel01). So MayteBravo I'll be following you soon on Pinterest to get some more ideas. 

looking forward to do this journey together! 

I'd like to be in this group!  I deal with depression; things got real tough over the Holidays.  I lost 50 lbs a few years ago. And now have developed bad eating habits and 10 lb weight gain in the last year.  Over the Holidays I even stopped exercising, which I'd been very faithful to!!  I'm 68, live alone.  I just started on Jan 5th

Hi Julia! And Moi anf anyone else new i missed!Welcome aboard!

How's everyone doing with prep? I just finished my week 1 meal planning and I'm heading out to shop. I am making recipes that the whole family will like with some tweaks for me (i.e. compliant crock pot meatballs with spaghetti squash for me, pasta for everyone else). It took a little longer than my usual meal planning, but not too bad! 

Are you nervous? Excited? I'm a little of both!

Hi Everyone! I'm starting my W30 tomorrow and I'd love to join the group! I've tried W30 before, but failed each time. I'm so tired of the yo yo dieting, the binge eating, the bottle of wine-drinking and depression and shame that follows. I'm ready to to take control of my health and diet and attain total food freedom once and for all. I'm about 30 lbs overweight (just gained back ten that I lost in 2016) so losing some weight during the W30 would be awesome. Although I'm going to do my best and hide the scale and not look at the next 30 days- which will be hard. I'm a mom to three kids (9, 7 and 3) and a husband who would eat cookies for breakfast if he could. Going to do a big pantry and fridge clean out this weekend and get my meal plan for me and the kids ready for the next three days. 

I'm excited, nervous, anxious....but more than anything just ready to finally achieve a W30 access and do something great for myself. 

Look forward to getting to know everyone better and supporting each other the next 30 days! :) 

- Christine 

Food prep and shopping started, enough to get me through the next few days. I'm actually excited, a little nervous too, but mostly it feels good to have a plan in place. A few more hours to go before we start- anyone cramming in that last favorite junk food?

On 1/6/2017 at 10:12 AM, Rkrzywda said:

I am currently on leave from my career to take care of my husband who is dying from brain cancer. 

Have you read about Andrew Scarborough?

http://denversdietdoctor.com/ancestral-ketogenic-diets-and-brain-cancer-the-scarborough-protocol/
https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/05/31/healing-brain-cancer-with-a-zero-carb-ketogenic-diet-by-andrew-scarborough/
http://mybraincancerstory.blogspot.com/

Archived