Starting Jan 8th, looking for buddies!

Tatchyana

Thanks @Overeducatedopinion. I do really like the import recipe feature of real plans. Very cool! I need to spend more time in the site reviewing the recipes. The chicken tikka masala looks delicious. Did you add the subscription to NomNom Paleo and the other bloggers recipes or just add them through the import feature? 

@evaq Holy cow- that Chocolate Chili looks amazing!! I'm definitely going to make that this week. I will check out Mel Joulwan and Michelle's website. I think you're spot on with the key to whole cooking being a balance of textures and flavors. That's the only way to keep it from getting boring and mundane from day to day- which I think is where I'm stuck right now. Then it's a matter of carving out the time to cook- while balancing working, exercising, three kids..you know, life! :) It's always a struggle to find balance, but it's getting a little easier. The past 10 days we haven't eaten out at all- which is the longest we have ever gone. Sad, huh? My grocery bill on the other hand, is through the roof! lol

Hope everyone has a fab day 10! We're a third of the way through, whoo hoo! 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2017 at 0:51 PM, Mary T said:

My name is Mary. I would like to join this group. I  started The Whole Thirty on January 5th.  I have not been feeling good because I am not eating good food. I am 55 and have been having a lot of joint pain. I am feeling very encouraged because since I started this diet I have more energy and my joints feel a little better.

I started on the 5th too! Still going strong. Hooray!

So tomorrow I have plans with a girlfriend, pedicures and *lunch out*. My game plan is to order a salad with grilled plain chicken and have oil and vinegar, or bring my compliant date balasamic in my purse for dressing. Either that or a bunless burger with all the veggie trimmings. Anyone else have ideas for how to survive a lunch out while staying on plan? This will be my first restaurant attempt since I started on the 5th. I am kind of nervous, I have been enjoying the Whole30 and desperately don't want to mess up!

7 minutes ago, Lucky0507 said:

So tomorrow I have plans with a girlfriend, pedicures and *lunch out*. My game plan is to order a salad with grilled plain chicken and have oil and vinegar, or bring my compliant date balasamic in my purse for dressing. Either that or a bunless burger with all the veggie trimmings. Anyone else have ideas for how to survive a lunch out while staying on plan? This will be my first restaurant attempt since I started on the 5th. I am kind of nervous, I have been enjoying the Whole30 and desperately don't want to mess up!

Sounds like a good plan to me! I do the burger thing and ask for extra lettuce and pickles or whatever you like in the vegie category. I can't eat raw vegetables now, so I am jealous of your option for that. You will do fine, I think.

I had the roasted yams with brussels sprouts for dinner tonite with some pork tenderloin, and it was delicious! Loved the reduced balsamic on vegies. I have enough left for a leftover meal. For lunch, leftover chicken soup, which taste better to me today than yesterday, so that was good. Breakfast was 2eggs banana pancake with blueberries on top. Tiny snack at midday, almonds with a small amount of goji berries. This is a good day for me eating wise. I do massage therapy using my feet with bars on ceiling, so I work out hard at work. I don't know if I can make it without a snack. Detox headache is not so bad today. It's so helpful and important for me to get enough water. Still a ways for my gut to heal, so I may be on this eating lifestyle for a long while. Can't wait to have a really good day.

I really like the idea of Real Plans. I just got the Whole30 Book with recipes after reading It Starts with Food and also started the Food Freedom book. It helps so much to get ideas from others. Thanks fellow Whole30ers!

2 hours ago, Kathy Jackman said:

2eggs banana pancake

Sorry, but these are specifically called out in the rules as a no go - regardless of compliant ingredients.

Save them for after your Whole30 - you might actually find that if you eat a template breakfast you won't actually find the need for that snack. If you MUST snack however, make it a mini meal, or two of the three food groups with protein & fat as your best option - hard boiled eggs wrk well here, or meatballs & mayo. Nuts are an inferior fat source due to their high levels of omega 6 fatty acids which can be inflammatory, and fruit should never push the veg off of your plate.

Your other meals look good!

been a bit out of touch for a few days, busy and work and at home.

Sunday was a tough day for me. I went for an 8 mile run with my friend (she is running a half marathon in march) I ate a PWO snack and went for it... but man my legs felt like LEAD 2.5 miles into it. I just couldnt get my body to push anymore. To top it off we were near her fire station when they got a call, so we ducked in and went on 2! calls with full gear, SCBA, and carrying equipment... after 5.5 miles into our run. WE then had another 2.5 to top it off... and I WAS DEAD.. on one of the fire scence I ALMOST drank a powerade, because I felt so depeleted, but I threw down some water and pushed through. All in all, it was one of the WORST runs I have every had.... Even with out the extra fire stuff. I cannot wait for my body to get adjusted (again) to fat burning... this stage was hard my first time around, I just couldnt get myself moving... but once I hit like Day 15-16 I felt amazing... cant wait for that!!!

Having some Chicken and steamed veggies for lunch, I coated the chicken with some ginger, garlic, salt, black pepper and seared it both sides then finished in oven... so yummy... also have a side of Lizard sauce (Well Fed Website).. Yummmmm

My run with my friend was way better this morning with 2 minutes per mile faster than sunday... although I was dragging a bit, i pused through 3.5 miles...

Still hanging tough! Sounds like everyone is conquering their own. Keep up the work ladies. I'm tired again today. I wake up in the mornings ready to conquer the day and after lunch I'm sluggish. I'm not eating what I shouldn't. Working very hard to stay well in the guidelines. Break fast I had egg muffin and sweet potato hash. Lunch I had leftover roast with salad. No dressing, just lemon and olive oil. And some sweet potato fries I made this morning with the sweet potato I cut up. Dinner will be the leftover spaghetti squash and Ragout I made last night. 

I need to focus more on the veggies. 

Pam, hang in there! Have you made roasted cauliflower yet? I just break it into florettes, put them on a baking pan with olive oil and sea salt and roast them until they're just al dente. They are great hot or cold.

The other vegetable that I love as a leftover is green beans. If you serve them al dente for dinner, they'll still be a good texture the next day.

The other way I cook green beans is this: cover with water, add salt and pepper and two pieces of whole30 compliant bacon. Let the beans cook for about 45 minutes on medium-low heat (make sure they don't dry out). They will be really soft and sooooo flavorful. It's unlikely you'll have leftovers with this method. They're just too good.

I have found that I really need to make a lot more vegetables for dinner, so that I have plenty for my breakfasts the next day.

@Pam Baker  You're doing great - keep it up. :) I had very similar symptoms my first week - sluggish and non-stop yawning from 2-6 pm. But that subsided for me going into week 2. Make sure you have enough "dense" vegetables with your meals and that you feel satisfied enough that you don't need to snack or feel hungry for 4-5 hours between meals. When I have salads for lunch (which has been pretty much every day for the past 10 days), I make sure they're hearty greens ie. kale, brussel sprouts, radicchio, broccoli etc.

@MadscienceM Holy cow that was a brutal run. You're a warrior! I can't believe you powered through and survived all of that.

I think one of the important things for me with this second whole 30 is accepting that these meal templates can look like a lot of food - which contradicts a lifetime of programmed "less is better" portioning. But this is exactly the fuel your body needs and craves. Thus, I have to give myself permission to eat man-sized salads and piles of vegetables with protein. :)

Hi, everyone:

Just wanted to tell you all that I made the walnut pork tenderloin recipe on pg 252 in the Whole30 book last weekend. OMG soooo good ... The secret to the walnuts is chopping them very finely in the blender or food processor, and then patting them into place. I also let the whole thing sit for 1/2 an hour before baking, so the moisture from the pork helped hold the walnuts in place.

I doubled the recipe, and just finished the leftovers today. Can't wait to make it again!

Checking in today... not too bad here, sounds like everyone is hanging in there... these are the tough days, where it doesnt seem like this is doing anything for you....but it gets better, at least I keep telling myself that... boy going off the rails 2 months ago has really made this whole 30 similar to my first one. I am hoping I get the NSV i had then... ie faster running, and better sleep.

Broke up a spinach meat muffin in a pan with some carrots, celery, onions this morning and added a egg for a scramble... was so good. Had tuna salad for lunch with a while sliced cucumber.... dipped in lizard sauce... so good.

Keep up the good work everyone, we got this!!!

So I survived the lunchdate by ordering a bunless burger (no cheese of course), and trimmings - lettuce, tomato, onions, mushrooms. Funny thing was I was STARVING by dinnertime and ended up eating an extra baked sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon (one of my new favorite things since starting this plan). I guess restaurant food can't hold a candle to what I'm making at home to keep me full between meals :o..I find this very interesting.

Happy to report that Sleep was good last night, so I woke up this morning feeling better about this round. I really just keep hoping that everything will happen fast, somehow 12 days into this I will be back in time to like 4 months ago... but I know that it takes time.... both with my food and with my exercise....

@Lucky0507 I have always found during all my whole 30s that eating out is never as satisfying as what I am able to have at home... 

Have a great day everyone!

Hey everybody. Just checking in to say I'm still here and going strong. I survived my husband's business trip. I did eat kind of junky but within the confines of whole 30. For example plantain chips and pork rinds.  It just doesn't seem worth it to cook for one person. This is the longest I have stuck with any diet, plan, or cleanse. Today I have chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker - a recipe from real plans.  Whenever I have a moment I cube sweet potatoes or potatoes, boil them with salt until they're nearly cooked, let them cool down, and then put them in the fridge. Then I have a handy tub of them to use any time in a hash or a lettuce wrap or a curry. Top tip for the day ;)  Tonight I am going to a concert ( with no drinking obviously)  so we'll see how that goes :)

On 1/17/2017 at 10:54 AM, Christineamd said:

Thanks @Overeducatedopinion. I do really like the import recipe feature of real plans. Very cool! I need to spend more time in the site reviewing the recipes. The chicken tikka masala looks delicious. Did you add the subscription to NomNom Paleo and the other bloggers recipes or just add them through the import feature? 

@evaq Holy cow- that Chocolate Chili looks amazing!! I'm definitely going to make that this week. I will check out Mel Joulwan and Michelle's website. I think you're spot on with the key to whole cooking being a balance of textures and flavors. That's the only way to keep it from getting boring and mundane from day to day- which I think is where I'm stuck right now. Then it's a matter of carving out the time to cook- while balancing working, exercising, three kids..you know, life! :) It's always a struggle to find balance, but it's getting a little easier. The past 10 days we haven't eaten out at all- which is the longest we have ever gone. Sad, huh? My grocery bill on the other hand, is through the roof! lol

Hope everyone has a fab day 10! We're a third of the way through, whoo hoo! 

Sorry I never responded- no nom nom subscription just importing. I also got the nom nom paleo cook book because she really is great. All her recipes work just like they promise. I've made her Asian meat balls and crackling chicken and I modified a pork stir fry recip for shrimp. They should call it crack pipe chicken- ok bad joke- because addictive. 

Hello all! Sounds like things are moving along. I'm still hanging tough. Very encouraged at my own will power. Giving Glory to God for that!!! 

Im still sluggish in the afternoons but it's shortened a bit. Not hitting til 3 ish and after dinner I'm good. Thanks for the veggie suggestions will def add more to the salad st lunch, also thinking I'm not getting enough protein at lunch, so upping that a bit too. 

I had one of the crazy dreams the book talked about. Dreamt I ate two donuts and pigged out in Chick-Fil-A. Wowser! As I've mentioned before the family isn't following this with me at this point. Little intros here and there for them. So the dream was triggered by my hubby asking me while I was half asleep about taking my son to Dunkin Donuts to use his gift card Sat morning, they came home with 2 doz. we have a large family so that wasn't too many. I successfully went past them. Heated my egg muffin grabbed my fruit, peppers, and coffee and headed out the door to help at the baseball fields again. Sat nights are breakfast for dinner. Last night was biscuits, sausage gravy, eggs, grits, potatoes. I had a nice peppers, mushrooms and eggscramble, along with sweet potatoe mash. I didn't even want what they had. I remembered how it made me feel to have heavy stuff and I'm not even interested in feeling that way. 

Non scale victories: no more sour stomach, occasional heartburn gone, easier to get up in the mornings, sleep better, feel overall really confident and excited to keep going! 

What are your non scale victories?? 

What are your non scale victories?? 

Hmmm. Non scale victories for me include: 

The formerly almost-constant bloat that disappeared within the first 48 hours, no longer feeling as tired, and shinier/healthier hair. I would say my favorite 'victory' was learning how often sugar is snuck into things I would never have thought it would be! Always thought I was a fairly healthy eater, but this plan opened my eyes to ways I was being 'duped' into ingesting sugar. Before I started Whole30, I took stock of my spice/seasoning collection and almost every seasoning blend had sugar in it. I was shocked and frankly kind of upset, like I got ripped off. So I'm grateful this plan has taught me to read labels carefully so I no longer have the 'white devil' in my food without my consent. My other favorite thing is that I'm truly enjoying my meals on this plan, coming up with new flavor combinations, trying new things and not being one bit hungry between meals. I've never been too big on fruit, but a nice crisp apple with sunflower seed butter is now a wonderful addition to my hard boiled eggs in the morning. Oh, and Kombucha has been working great as a wine replacement for me too!

Wooohooo Day 20!!! 

I'm strongly thinking this is a whole complete change for me. I will keep doing the program until I see a couple things physically work out. And then when I reintroduce things it will be slow and steady. I'm loving feeling confident and not guilty about what I eat. I'm loving the taste of real food. I'm loving the power that comes with will power. Something I never thought I had simply because I was overweight. I know I'm losing weight it's showing in different ways. Thrilled is not even close to describe the feeling. I know people lose lots but I'm good with lil bits, it took me 24 years to get to this place I don't expect overnight success.  I started walking this week too, in my mind I had to get the eating squared away first. 

Night before last I made cauliflower cilantro lime rice...yummmm 
This morning I made sweet potato latkes....yummmm

It sounds like you are going strong. So proud of you for having such a long-term view of what you are doing. This is my second Whole30. The first time around, I didn't do a slow reintroduction, and paid the price with horrible stomach pains and five days of downright feeling awful. Went right back to Whole30 eating 90 percent of the time because I truly feel better when I'm eating this way. Now nearing the finish line of my second Whole30, I know this is going to be a lifetime change for me. Keep going.

I'm on Day 20 of Whole30. Wow, I've been really busy. So -- First, I think this is going to go much longer than 30 days. No surprise, as I have some long-standing health issues. I never weigh myself, so non-scale victories are all I'm looking for. I am definitely sleeping better. I do take sleep meds, and they are working better, and I hope to eventually get off of them. I am dx-d with fibromyalgia, and I can't say I am having less pain yet. I have fatigue issues, and it seems like every other day, I feel much less fatigued. I love waking up at 7:00 a.m. and actually getting up rested. That's happening now about every 3rd day. I am truly enjoying eating! Didn't think it would be possible to eat this way without feeling deprived, but I really am happy with the food. I'm finding and creating new recipes and eating lots of vegetables.

My biggest problem is that I have a stomach ache frequently, and I do need to use enemas to keep my bowel moving. Not a new phenomenon, but I sure look forward to having normal bowel movements again. I do take magnesium, and I found an acceptable one that is oxygenated, so this is good. I am curious if anyone else on the Whole30 has had similar issues and healed to a normal life again! I would love to be inspired by someone's story re this. I will be having a colonoscopy next month to be sure I am okay ...

So glad to hear how well you're doing, @Pam Baker. Just bought some cauliflower rice, and it was 3 days expired, so I hope it's okay. It's just plain, but I'm going to try out putting roasted veggies over it. Lemon sounds great! Also bought a cauliflower head to make my own, and not sure if I should cook and freeze or what.

I made a turkey burger with chopped carrots, peppers, onions, and spices and ate with sauerkraut for lunch. SOOOO good! I love that I am enjoying my food. Oh, well, I will stop being repetitive. Best wishes to all of you!

Archived