commitment date 1/16/2017

slemo58

I am most concerned with the snacking ? Watching tv and having snack like popcorn has become a habit. 

Giving up  coffee. I have already reduced my intake and have rediscovered my love of tea.

Was worried about bone broth..sounded disgusting to me and family. I made it and was pleased  great taste yum. Maybe we should give it a more appealing name lol.

How about yourself?

My husband and i are going to start on the 16th too.  We are a little nervous because its a big change and our lives are so busy.  We both work and have a 3 & 5 year old.  I am worried that I won't have time to do all the prep.  Maybe we can support each other!  I have tried to cut back on coffee too and am rediscovering tea too!

I would love to support. remember you can buy the veggies already chopped which will save huge amount of time. you also can buy roaster chicken cook it and piece it up.

you can use it for quick meals throughout the week.  cauliflower rice ( you can get it already riced) some frozen broccoli add the chicken season as you like and voila a meal!

I have planned on sunday/sat whichever is more free to cook up a soup and a crock pot meal. Those will carry me for a couple days.

I am feeling more confident I can do without the coffee.

when are you starting the whole 30?

I'm a little nervous about snacking, too! I have definitely created a habit of having a mid-morning snack around 10am and one around 3pm. The past week at work when "snack time" rolled around, I asked myself if I really was hungry...or just bored. More often that not, I wasn't even hungry! I definitely know what you mean about the popcorn and TV watching. I moved my air popper out of sight so it doesn't even cross my mind! 

Giving up coffee is tough, too! I think if you have a big enough "why" on why you are giving it up (along with not snacking, etc.) and keep that in mind when those cravings come along, it will make it easier to say no! 

for me no coffee as I do not like it black. its ok I do like my tea black.

I agree with you pnwkatie, some of my foods are connected more habit or ritual than hunger. at work we go to break @10am so it has become  a habit to get coffee and something. when at look at that , like you, I am not hungry just like the company. now I just have cup of tea.

I was really challenged with eating within 1hr of waking up. I have never been a morning person. once I put my mind to it I was able to eat a scrambled egg..still not really hungry in that first hour. how about you?

I am starting on the 16th as well. Have been eating paleo for the past eight weeks and have introduced some of the aspects of whole30 over the last two weeks, like having theee neals without snacks in between. I most dread giving up the stevia in my tea, which probably means no tea for me because I cant stand it without sweetener. Other than that its just about being orepared and cooking up alot of stuff.

Would love to add some whole30 buddies!!

April

are you ready !?

I did lots of cooking this w/e so have meals set for the week. My house is pretty much all whole30 so temptation will be minimal. I am really excited.

I had my weigh in measurements so I can compare at the end.  Thinking of keeping a log about the journey so I can look back at my progress.

also some people do a food log . I must say I am not good at logging food. what are your thoughts? I know it is not part of the program but might speak to accountability?

Oh, trying to get exercise 2xw minimally  1 cardio and 1 strength training

Hi all, I'm jumping in here to say hello and follow along. This is my 4th (or 5th?) Whole30. Today is Day 2 for me.  : )

I actually started Jan 2nd with my mom, but had to detour off plan last week for a necessary medical test (checking for food sensitivities to corn, soy, dairy and non-gluten grains... which I had to eat for a few days, and made me feel pretty crappy). Since my first Whole30 in June 2015, I have been mostly Paleo and have really benefitted from the diet/lifestyle change.

Ready, get set... GO!! You can do this.  : )

Hi everyone!  I started on Jan 15th. So glad I found this post -  I thought I would have been the only one starting mid month!   LOVE the food, been battling a headache (hung over phase), but so far so good.  All has been as expected based on what everyone else reports.  My husband is not joining me in this journey but one of my coworkers started the beginning of the year so I FINALLY after a year and a half of having the books decided to take the plunge.  

I battle asthma / allergies, skin issues, gluten intolerance, IBS and excessive daytime sleepiness.  I wish I would have done this a long time ago.   Praying for some relief!  Good luck to everyone!  

Hi Guys!  I have been following your thread while trying to get an account since Saturday.  Not at all sure what the problem was, but I finally got everything to work and confirm today.  Since my attempts to sign up via FaceBook failed, I have no idea how to add a photo....but whatever...maybe I will figure that out eventually.

I started yesterday (16th).  I do not know a living soul who has done this or is doing this, so I very much want a place to go for support.  My husband is VERY SUPPORTIVE, but not joining me.  He is happy to eat with me but will not give up stevia and half and half in his coffee or his evening glass of wine.  

So far it's gone well.  I am tired...coffee with just coconut milk is pretty tough to take.  And I am having trouble eating as much food as they want, especially at breakfast. (both mornings breakfast has made me slightly nauseated and I couldn't quite finish it.)  Though if yesterday was any indication, snacking won't be a problem, as I was NEVER hungry yesterday.  The labor intensity of it all is I think what will challenge me down the road.  I like the idea of making a big pot of soup to fall back on.  I think this weekend I will make some and freeze individual portions so I always have a NO EFFORT, if not super quick meal option available.  I have found the "meal 1,2,3 vs. breakfast, lunch and dinner" to be quite freeing...hubby is having trouble wrapping his mind around it, but it's early.

I am very committed to this, and have little doubt of my successfully completing the 30 days.  But I am anxious...that it will work (and I will have to make hard choices about what to add back) and that it won't...that I will have done this for 30 days and not see improvements.  Is that crazy?

1 hour ago, Mountain Girl said:

... I am very committed to this, and have little doubt of my successfully completing the 30 days.  But I am anxious...that it will work (and I will have to make hard choices about what to add back) and that it won't...that I will have done this for 30 days and not see improvements.  Is that crazy? ...

Welcome, you're in the right place!  No, that's not crazy thinking at this stage in the game. Trust me, the 30 days will probably teach you things you never expected, in addition to getting you closer to the goals you have set for yourself (most likely).  Remember, you really can't go wrong by feeding your body healthy wholesome natural food for 30 days… It's a gift to yourself, any way you look at it. Just hang in for the ride and keep putting one foot in front of the other. It's going to be great! 

5 hours ago, Mountain Girl said:

And I am having trouble eating as much food as they want, especially at breakfast. (both mornings breakfast has made me slightly nauseated and I couldn't quite finish it.

Hi @Mountain Girl & welcome to the forums - know that you are not alone in struggling with the volume of food, especially at breakfast. Unfortunately women especially have been brainwashed to believe we should eat tiny morsels of food, skip meals, and be the media's perception of 'perfect'. It's hard not only mentally, but physically, to move away from that and so many of the women we see here have come from a back ground of food restriction - which is actually conter productive as it cause the metabolism to slow down.

Keep plating up template meals and eat from them what you can, trying to get in a little of each food group, then when you can't eat any more wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - ie. don't wait for the next meal. You'll be surprised how quickly your appetite comes around as your hormones start to balance out - and the lack of appetite IS due to a hormonal imbalance.

Batch cooking a dish or two on the weekends is a GREAT way to stay compliant. Your are much more likely to reach for something off plan if there is nothing prepared in the fridge.

Welcome to everyone else too - make sure, especially in these early days, to drink plenty of water - a half ounce per pound of body weight, daily is our recommendation.

Keep up the good work people, and if you've any questions please just ask.....

• Moderators
On 1/15/2017 at 5:02 PM, slemo58 said:

also some people do a food log . I must say I am not good at logging food. what are your thoughts? I know it is not part of the program but might speak to accountability?

Instead of a written or typed food log, you might prefer to snap pictures of your food, so at least you have something to refer back to. Some people post them here in the forum or on Instagram, but even if you just kept it for yourself, it might be a little easier than writing everything down. Or you could use the pictures as reminders, and go back at the end of the day and journal what your day was like and what you ate, rather than writing it down as you go, or getting to the end of the day and trying to remember what you had for breakfast.

It is good to have a record of some kind, so that if you run across any problems and come to the forum looking for help, you can give us an idea of what you've been eating so we can help you figure out if it's something you're eating or not eating that's causing issues. You might also notice things like, when I eat X, I feel Y (for instance, when I eat lots of broccoli, I feel gassy). This can be especially important when you get done with your 30 days and are doing reintroductions, but it can help during your 30 days as well. Some people do find certain vegetables or spices end up causing them problems they prefer to avoid, and if you've got a record and can see the pattern, you can figure that out more easily.

mountain girl-  I just gave up on the coffee it was more work trying to get it to taste good. I have switched to green tea in the morning.

I also drink herbal tea which I really like but you need to experiment to find ones that suit you.

I am struggling with eating within 1 hour of waking- I just feel nausea after eating. I am not sure what to do.  whether its eggs, soup or chicken it is rough. doing well with all the timing of meals.

I have completed day 2 yes!!!

How's everyone doing? Be sure to log in here and let us know... this is the community that will help you get through these 30 days!! You don't have to do long detailed posts if you don't have time... just a quick howdy, "I'm still here", or update/question is good enough!

Rock ON. Day 4 down the hatch for me. 

6 hours ago, slemo58 said:

I am struggling with eating within 1 hour of waking- I just feel nausea after eating. I am not sure what to do.  whether its eggs, soup or chicken it is rough.

See my post above about continuing to plate up meals & making efforts to eat them regardless.

A lack of an appetite, especially in the morning, is indicative of a hormonal imbalance. Cortisol will be raised in the morning & NOT eating keeps it up high. Ideally, in very basic terms, your hunger hormone (ghrelin) will kick in to increase your appetite at this time, & then once you've eaten leptin will be produced so that the ghrelin & cortisol drop.

When the hormones are out of whack continuing to not eat just keeps them that way. The only way to get over this is to try to eat - kind of tricking the brain/body into producing the hormones that control appetite and in turn, weight.

Plate up your meals, eat as much from them as you can, wrap up the rest going back to them AS SOON AS you can - and soon your appetite will come back around again.

I see there are two topics for 1/16 start date. Any way we can combine the two? I started this week as well. I'm feeling fine so far, but also I'm not eating much differently than I do already. The "bad" Whole30 things I usually eat are brown rice, quinoa, and honey. I'm sure I'll find a way to go around it! I'm excited to do the Whole30, wanted to do it of a while, and finally found a time that was good logistically. 

Also, I've been having smoothies for breakfast for a while, and it's my favorite way to start the day. My body feels so good after. My smoothies are heavy on greens, and low on fruit. I also add nuts or tahini for protein. So even though smoothies are frowned upon, this is my "cheat" part of the program. My smoothies keep me full till lunch, and give me energy to do everything  I have to do.

Hi @huliganjetta - we tend to leave the group threads separate as they are much easier to moderate that way. Initially you'll see people post in both, but eventually  that will peter off as people discover which group has their 'vibe' and they'll lean towards that one.

As you aware smoothies are greatly discouraged as the body processes liquid foods differently to solids. We'd strongly recommend that you follow the rules AND the recommendations for optimal results.

Nuts & tahini are classed as fats for whole30 purposes by the way so if you are going to continue with the smoothies then in order to meet the recommended meal template you'd need to add in a protein source.

Remember that whole30 is as much about looking at our relationship with food & figuring out why we eat the things we do as it is eating compliant foods for 30 days.

@jmcbn Thank you so much for your reply! I will have to figure out a way to go about it then. I don't eat meat, and am picky about food in general. My morning smoothies is a way for me to fit in a lot of greens and superfoods. I will look more into recipes, to see what I could cook and like :) 

Archived