triathlon training nutrition

karene

does anyone have suggestions on what to eat during long bike rides?  My coach wants me to have something every 20 minutes - especially the 50 milers.  Can I have the Lara bar with just dates, cherries and nuts and no added sugar??? Also my electrolyte drink doesn't have real sugar but i'm sure has some type of sweetener.......

• Administrators

Hi @karene - Eating a larabar every 20 minutes is really not recommended. One of the goals of the Whole30 is to get your body to switch over to fat adaptation. The reason that your coach would want you eating every 20 minutes is because your body currently uses glucose as energy which is in short supply and has to be replenished on a regular schedule. If you allow your body to become fat adapted by following the meal template and pre and post workout suggestions, the need to eat every 20 minutes during a long ride should be greatly diminished.

But, to specifically answer your question, yes, it would be compliant to eat compliant larabars as often as you wish. If your electrolyte drink does not have off-plan ingredients, this would be fine too. :) 

• Moderators

I would strongly advise against eating a lot of dried fruit like this. It will not be kind to your colon during exertion.

A better option is to eat a compliant baby food that is pureed sweet potatoes. Remember though, it's very common to go through a tough adjustment period on Whole30 as your body adapts to fat burning. So be prepared for a few low-energy days where you may just have to be happy with an easy workout.

@ladyshanny thanks for your reply!  I didn't write my question very well....he wants me to have 100 calories every 20 min so I always cut the bars into small pieces.  That said - I guess it's good it's "winter" (I live in the South so we can change 40 degrees from day to day) I will try just water and have only emergency snacks on ride for the 30 days and then re-evaluate(????). I do have a problem with leg and feet cramps so I could use salt tablets with my water and see what that does???

• Moderators

I've been drinking water forever because it's much easier to clean out of a hydration pack, and even before Whole30, I would get sick of sweet stuff during a long run.

Elete electrolytes is an option - haven't tried it myself, I relied on water plus baby food packets and other real foods during races when Whole30ing.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:45 AM, ladyshanny said:

Hi @karene - Eating a larabar every 20 minutes is really not recommended. One of the goals of the Whole30 is to get your body to switch over to fat adaptation. The reason that your coach would want you eating every 20 minutes is because your body currently uses glucose as energy which is in short supply and has to be replenished on a regular schedule. If you allow your body to become fat adapted by following the meal template and pre and post workout suggestions, the need to eat every 20 minutes during a long ride should be greatly diminished.

But, to specifically answer your question, yes, it would be compliant to eat compliant larabars as often as you wish. If your electrolyte drink does not have off-plan ingredients, this would be fine too. :) 

ladyshanny do you know of any electrolyte drinks that are compliant?

• Administrators

I don't, @DrewB, sorry. They all have sweeteners in them. The closest you would get is coconut water but even that is pretty high in sugar and can have a laxative effect for some people.

Oh.....but wait! I just googled "Whole30 electrolyte drink" and got this Whole30 article! http://whole30.com/2013/03/whole30-approved-elete-electrolytes/

• 1 year later...

What do whole 30 triathletes eat the morning of their triathlons? I have a tri next Sunday and am trying to stay as whole 30 as possible. I would really like to not use gu. But I am afraid if I don’t I’ll bonk. I have been practicing during long routes using dates. And they are working well. Thanks for your help in advance. 

On 1/6/2017 at 4:15 PM, ultrarunnergirl said:

I've been drinking water forever because it's much easier to clean out of a hydration pack, and even before Whole30, I would get sick of sweet stuff during a long run.

Elete electrolytes is an option - haven't tried it myself, I relied on water plus baby food packets and other real foods during races when Whole30ing.

What are your “other real food” recommendations? Thanks. 

Archived