Consultant - Travel M-Th EACH WEEK.

Hi Everyone! I started my first whole 30 and am so excited as my job has impacted my health significantly...

I'm a consultant so I  travel Monday - Thursday for work each week and need some help coming up with recommendations! I'm trying to work with my hotel, but they currently want to charge me an extra $25 a day for a room with a fridge which is outside my company policy. This week I emptied the mini bar (which was way too tempting) so I could put a few hard boiled eggs in there for breakfast, but there's not much room.

Luckily I have a whole foods near me, but no way to cook any food. Anyone have any recommendations for precooked items that are compliant besides just the salad bar?  Be even better if it didn't require a fridge so I didn't have to go back each day after usually a 12 hour work day. I'm in Branchburg / Morristown New Jersey if anyone has any good restaurant recommendations as well!

I really want this to work, but right now it just feels impossible..

• Moderators

Could you keep a cooler of some sort in your hotel room? That would give you a little more storage space for food and a few more options.

For shelf-stable foods, look for cans or pouches of tuna or salmon, and you may even be able to find canned chicken. Don't forget to pack a can opener if you need it. Cans, jars, or pouches of olives, some nuts, whole avocados, a bottle of olive oil for fats. 

The hotel has no microwave in the lobby even? That would let you steam some vegetables, but if not, raw or canned vegetables will work. If you have a break during your work day and need to get more food for the night, maybe find someplace close enough that you can go on your break rather than having to go at the end of the day. If there's a fridge you can use there at work, great, but most things should be okay for a few hours without refrigeration.

Hm. So do you fly in to town or drive from home? If it's the latter I would highly recommend buying a Yeti or Canyon brand cooler. They keep ice for 5+ dAys, your food would stay super cold and fresh and could just bring everything you need with you. They are expensive. Like really expensive. Yeti has a soft bag version, but canyons have a lifetime warranty. If this is going to be an ongoing thing for you, whole30 or not it would be a good investment. At $25 a day for a fridge (that's insane) you'd have that thing paid off in no time!

So you're staying in Branchburg or Morristown? I'm assuming Morristown because you say there's a Whole Foods. 

There is a Season's 52 in Bridgewater (close to Branchburg but not Morristown), I have eaten a successful whole30 meal there. Of all places, the cheesecake factory in Bridgewater was also really good and compliant. Not too many options, but that's to be expected. I had Steak (no butter) with a double portion of asparagus on the grill. Chipotle would be another option, although I find there just isn't enough veggies in the salad for me to feel full. 

As for Morristown, there are a fair few nice restos there and I imagine you can find somewhere that would make you something compliant with some wooing of the chef/staff. 

Wholefoods has their hot buffet too. I have had a fair bit of luck with it having compliant items although most items do contain canola oil. 

You can get a plain rotisserie chicken at whole foods and it is compliant. It might be a pain in the butt to cut up and portion out but you could get that day one and then put it on salads or eat with canned veggies and add a fat. 

Also not exactly sure what the weather is like there or if you have a car but here in MN it is certainly cold enough to leave food in the car for refrigeration. 

Archived