WTH? (Overheard lunchroom conversation)

ladyhoward

So the other day I'm eating in the lunchroom at work. I'm enjoying my yummy well-seasoned chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and small sweet potato. I sat by myself so I could read my book. A couple of tables over sat two girls and two guys. One of the girls I knew was dealing with breast cancer - she gets chemo treatments every other week. She was eating a burger and fries from McDonalds. The other girl is gluten-intolerant (I knew that from prior conversations with her) - she was eating a big bowl of "gluten-free" pasta and sauce. I couldn't tell what the guys were eating.

Anyway, the girl who is fighting cancer commented that she was happy to be eating such a big meal and that she was trying to gain back some of the weight she lost last week from her chemo treatments. And of course a meal from McDonalds is the best way to do that? She said that all she had eaten last week was some cereal. One of the guys commented that cereal is a very "nutritionally sound" meal - yup, he was serious. The gluten-free girl said, yes it is, as long as it's healthy cereal. Then she commented that she likes a lot of the gluten-free cereals that are out now - she especially likes the chocolate flavored ones.

I just about choked on my sweet potato - how many things were wrong with that conversation???

I find it hard not to smack people upside the head with my ISWF book, but I know it's not my place. Someday, more people will come around to this way of living and eating. Someday . . . .

Yep. I can relate. I was over at friends over the course of the weekend and I got quized about my new "diet" and about compliant and non-compliant food. We made jokes out of it but in the end it turned a bit serious as they proudly showed me a new brand of yogurt that is only 35 calories for 1/2 a cup. I simply pointed out that there was nothing wrong with yogurt per say if you didn't have dairy issues, but there was zero nutritional value in said yogurt. I got a Why? It's got only 35 calories! I said that is exactly my point. If it had anything of any value for you it would be higher in calories - I got a very blank look.

I walked away from the conversation at this point. As I wanted to smack them with my copy of ISWF as well.

ladyhoward, I know how you feel. People think all of these cereals are healthy and when I tell friends I start my breakfast with a huge plate of vegetables they look at me like I have a swasticka on my forehead.

As for the girl going through chemo...she sounds about like my father right now. He really needs to put some pounds on him, and I am tempted to bake him some fattening goodies like a pound cake or something, but I have a hard time giving him things I know are bad for him. I have read that cancer basically feeds on sugar, so I am truly torn. The sad part about the chemo patients is they really need a whole diet, but they really don't see how it can help. :(

Carlaccini, yogurt is OK, like you said...but it should be full fat. Think of how much more processing is done to remove some of the fat from the yogurt! If only people could look at foods in terms of processing instead of calories...we would all be much healthier!

Archived