Are all sweet cravings bad?

So I understand that the spirit of the Whole30 is to tame the sugar dragon and to change eating habits. I just finished day 4 of my first round and I'm wondering if craving certain flavors can be bad? Like sometimes you really want some spicey chicken for dinner or you love sour foods, is it bad to want something sweet with a meal? I'm just trying to better understand how to draw the line between giving in to old habits and listening to what your body needs. 

• Moderators

Craving something sweet is almost always your brain trying to get a hit of sugar... something sour as a preference for a taste for dinner one night is a craving, but will not affect your brain in the same way.

Craving something sweet is not 'bad' but it is something that needs full consideration and during the Whole30, we really want you to look at why.  If some dried cranberries on your salad would do the trick, then that's probably okay but if you want dessert or your entire meal to be of a sugary sweet variety, that's something to look at :)

Also, as your taste buds change, things you never thought sweet before will become sweet... and that's a-ok!

The following link is just a random one I found on google to illustrate the point, but I have seen in a few places that cravings signify a need for particular micronutrients:

http://support.cleanprogram.com/article/976-cravings-chart---the-nutrients-your-body-really-wants

In this case, they're saying that "sweet" could be a need for chromium, carbon, phosphorus, sulfur, or tryptophan.

Something to think about.

Archived