Bone Broth Question

Chi2texas

I'm on day 6 of my whole 30 and I decided to make some beef bone broth. 1st time! I was getting ready to take my kids to get out of the house and dipped a spoon into my crockpot and put some broth in a mug. It had been cooking for 22 hours. I drank it down. It was a bit slimy. I felt weird after and an hour or so later was running to the bathroom. It wasn't loose or anything, but now I'm paranoid. After putting my broth in a jar I see there's a light yellow layer (assuming fat) on top of the brown layer. Did I drink a cup of fat?  I feel fine, not sick, just  worried that I drank something bad for some reason. Guess I'm paranoid. 1st with the broth!! Any thoughts? Don't want to be afraid to drink what I made. Thanks for the help!

Yes, you probably drank a cup of fat. I strain my broth into mason jars. I don't skim off the fat, but some people prefer to. But by dividing the broth into the jars it also divides the fat to you don't get an entire cup! It wasn't anything bad, just a lot of fat in a cup :) 

If it was still hot then no, it wasn't a cup of straight fat, because the fat hadn't congealed yet.  There was more fat than there would've been if you'd waited until that top layer had been skimmed off, but think about when you did see that white layer, what % of the overall pot was it --- like 5-10%?  So that hot ladle you took was only 5-10% fat & 90-95% broth.

Makes me feel a little better. It did taste much better at the bottom of the cup. My broth had a pretty thick layer of fat after it was in the glass, but hopefully it was somewhat beneficial. Really threw me for a loop today. Wasn't deathly I'll or anything, just not 100% in the stomach. Clearly! Was feeling like giving up on the whole30, it's challenging enough without a stupid mistake setback. Been wanting to make bone broth forever and thought it was a good time. Hard to cook and plan when you're feeling off. Hopefully tomorrow will be a new day! As my husband just says...I can't believe it's Friday night and you don't get to have a beer. :( Need some strength!!!

I have an organic free range chicken broth. Ingredients are organic chicken broth (filtered water, organic chicken), organic onions, organic celery, organic carrots, natural chicken flavor, organic spices, sea salt

No sugar but in the nutritional facts under total carbohydrates it says that there is less than 1 gram of sugar. Is this allowed? Are they natural sugars? Or is this still a no-no?!

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, SLyons6 said:

No sugar but it sayson nutritional facts under total carbohydrates it says that there is less than 1 gram of sugar. Is this allowed?

Yes.

For the purposes of Whole30 you need to read the ingredients list & NOT the nutritional facts. ALL fruit & veg will contain natural sugars. You should be concerned with ADDED sugars only.

I always chill my broth before reheating or storing it; it's very easy to remove the congealed fat after it chills. I have no problem with fat, but sometimes there's a lot of it depending on how fatty the bones were. When I make turkey broth I cook the skins, the stuff from the bottom of the roasting pan, etc., so it really needs a good skim after cooking and cooling. Or sometimes I just portion it off into 2 c. containers and freeze it; then I can skim the fat off the frozen portion before using. The fat can be used for cooking too.

Found a small turkey on sale on New Year's Day; we enjoyed the meat after roasting, but I was much more excited about the broth I was able to make; more containers of liquid gold in the freezer now to start out the new year!

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It's difficult for us to tell you what is available in your area. Manufacturers change recipes by region and sometimes without notice.  You'll need to go to your Whole Foods or other health food store and have a look around.

Archived